Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Features Limited; Contact Tesla if this issue continues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

So, out of nowhere I got this warning today.

Autopilot Features Limited; Contact Tesla if this issue continues.

The AP still works ok but the error message won’t go away. I called my local SC and they’re clueless as usual (Norway)

They told me to bring the car in after Christmas if the error still comes up and to avoid using the AP.

Anyone experienced this error before? Any idea why it’s happening?

I’ve checked the cameras and they’re not blocked or have any dirt.

I have a long drive in few days and not happy with the situation. Any tips is appreciated?

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_33c3.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_33c3.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 308
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_33c4.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_33c4.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 142
Not had that one. In heavy rain I sometimes get a warning to say that auto-lane change is temporarily unavailable due to limited camera coverage, but never a general warning like yours. Sounds like some sort of persistent sensor issue going on there. Hopefully your SC can diagnose it for you.

I had this happen too ! It seemed to occur frequently after I tried out the autopilot [which is not worth trying again in its current iteration]
Wonder if there is some software issue ?
It was snowing when it happened but all cameras should have been fine, it interfered with using autodrive during that trip but since then it has only recurred within a trip where I tried the autopilot
I also called local Tesla folks and they were mystified and advised bringing in, which I did not need to do since all is well if I avoid the autopilot
Hope your X behaves for your upcoming trip !

I had this happen to me last week while driving back from a vacation. Called SC and they got into my car while I was driving home and said the right-side cameras had gone out. Two days later a mobile tech called me and said that an update had failed (was on 2818.42). He pushed a new one to the vehicle (2018.48.12.1). Have not had an issue since. Tech stated that it may have been a glitch or because the update had failed. It was good to know that it was software and not hardware related.

Reactions: scottf200
This happened once to me on the S where the autopilot camera was covered in dew. I called the support line and they had me clear with windshield with the wipers (had already done that) and then power it down for 3 minutes from the touchscreen. That brought it back for me.

Granted, this was about a year ago so a very different firmware version, but at least something else to try.

Not Model X, I have a Model S - but I got this message for the first time tonight as well, "Autopilot Features Limited - If issue persists, contact Tesla Service."

A few days before it I had "Vehicle Surround View Limited -if issue persists, contact Tesla Service."

Tried rebooting, powering down, cleaning the cameras, etc. It certainly is 'persisting', and also the car can't see any vehicles on the left (driver's) side when they pass.

So this seems to line up with what @jackhodges saw; They said they'd dispatch Mobile Service and that they'd contact me in 48 hours excluding weekends and holidays; so I likely won't hear anything until well after mid next week either...

Thanks for your replies.

The warning is gone now. I drove afterwards and didn't clean the car or do anything else. Everything seems working.

I have to wait until Thursday to take the car to SC.

I think its definitely a software issue. Maybe to do with the last update. I'm just nervous to use AP now as I don't exactly know the issue and worried about something happening. (Safety)

I think AP will shut down or avoid the features it's having troubles with (lane changing for example) if the problem comes back... As I mentioned though I have a feeling mine is gonna be more of a sticky problem.. I wish we really could see a bit more diagnostic detail on our cars... Mysterious messages like this, vs say "left camera problem" just leave people wondering like this...

Anyways good luck and I hope mine ends up clearing up too...

I had this issue twice with our March 2017 S 100D. Both times, the error was reported when pulling the car out from our garage after overnight charging - and the error persisted for the drive to work. And both times, when returning home from work, the error message went away and AP worked fine.

It could be an intermittent problem with one or more of the side cameras or (more likely) the software is getting a false error indication.

It's been quite a while since I've seen this error, so it's possible a later software update has fixed the issue, at least with our S. Our June 2018 X 100D hasn't seen any AP error messages.

Just had this problem start on my X as well 20 min ago....I'm on 48.12.1. Tried a reboot couple times didn't help.

I drove for about 30 min and it didn't go away. I'll call service in the morning but with the holidays who knows when someone can come look at this!!

I'm getting this. It's persisted in its intermittence over several updates and a "recalibration" by the SC. I spoke with a ranger who pulled up my logs and saw a driver side b-pillar camera error. They're going to swap out cameras (when they get one in stock... lol ).

Yep, same problem on my X. Started with the latest software upgrade (and we didn't even have Autopilot installed). Have since had an update to give us the 30 days trial of Autopilot. It's working, but the message persists. Doesn't seem to like the lane changes so possiblky the side camera issue as well, which would suggest a software issue.

+1 had the “surround view limited” error. Took it to Tesla, after they had it for a week they proclaimed the issue fixed. 3 days later I get the “autopilot features limited” message. At the same time my X was not reachable by the app, and took an extraordinarily long time to power up. Both reset options (scroll wheels and buttons) had no effect, but powering down the car from the main screen menu restored everything. I vote for less work on fart Easter egg and more work on things that matter

Just happened to me..... I was pulling into the garage and it seemed to be having trouble reporting the number of inches from the wall. The car is very clean - nothing obscuring any sensors or cameras. I reset x2, powered down and up etc, message is still there. I actually used autopilot later
w/o incident. I did notice that while driving, surround view worked fine except for not displaying cars behind me, even while very close/stopped. Running 2018.48.12/1
Waiting to see if this goes away by tomorrow.

930E97F2-232D-4402-98F5-33F45AA0C8EC.jpeg
Hi Folks, I'm also getting the "Features Limited" message. This started while driving on the autobahn last Friday. Weird because we'd already driven for 8 hours when the message came-up. Was very heavy rain for the white trip and I thought this might be causing it, but then yesterday, in clear conditions, we get it again. I cleaned all the cameras, just to rule-out something obstructing the view.

Maybe related, I also got a phantom obstacle on the driver-side FWD, first time I've ever seen that. Wouldn't open with the fob or button inside, but opened fine with the door 'handle', from the centre screen it also complained, but would open when forced. This issue went away when we drove somewhere else and hasn't recurred.

Regarding the AP message, when this comes up, auto steer and adaptive cruise appear to be working fine, but it won't lane-change, I have to take-over the steering, which of course throws it out of auto steer, pretty much rendering it unusable.

XP100D on 2018.48.12.1

Hey guys,
So, out of nowhere I got this warning today.
Autopilot Features Limited; Contact Tesla if this issue continues.
The AP still works ok but the error message won’t go away. I called my local SC and they’re clueless as usual (Norway)
They told me to bring the car in after Christmas if the error still comes up and to avoid using the AP.
Anyone experienced this error before? Any idea why it’s happening?
I’ve checked the cameras and they’re not blocked or have any dirt.
I have a long drive in few days and not happy with the situation. Any tips is appreciated?

Under less than ideal conditions, this is normal and correct behavior. Basically, anytime the cameras or radar do not have a perfect view of the world outside, the car will begin to withdraw features. it could be rain, snow, fog, driving into early morning sunrise or even just poor condition of the pavement. Autopilot lane keeping features are basically visual, requiring a clear view of the dividing lines between and beside lanes. Anytime conditions have degraded, performance goes along with it. Basically as confidence erodes, so does performance and the system requires more driver attention. The car continuously monitors conditions that affect autopilot operation, even if none of the features are not being used.

You will notice when this occurs, you will lose the display of the extra lanes in the instrument cluster (if using autopilot) and the auto lane change features stop working. When conditions improve, the automation returns and error message goes away. The Autopilot Features Limited error message is new. It used to be that you just had to notice that the outside lanes were not displayed. Back in the early autopilot days, the entire system would go off line and nothing worked. THAT was a PIA for sure, looking at hours of totally manual driving (first world problem I know).

IMO the error message is a little anemic, not really revealing much about the condition that actually failed, but at least it offers an explanation as to why something did not work as you expected.