Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Autopilot features unavailable" screen pop-up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my M3 last week this prompt appeared on the screen when I placed the car in drive. I asked the delivery person and he said not to worry it would disappear on its own. Well it hasn't in several hundred miles...always pops up and stays on whenever in gear. I contacted Tesla and they recommended rebooting the touchscreen...which I did to no effect. Reported this to Tesla and they set up a service appointment next week.

Anyone have or know about this issue? I didn't purchase Autopilot if that helps.

Sorry if this has been asked/discussed before. I searched the forum first without success.

What did the problem turn out to be? (I have the same issue, and the ranger doesn’t arrive for 2 days.)
Tesla determined it to be a faulty forward sensor. They replaced that but the problem persisted so they replaced the replacement sensor. Finally they claimed the sensor mounting bracket was bent/damaged and replaced that as well. I'm still not certain if the bracket was the original problem or they damaged it in removing the sensor. They whole process took many days due to lack of parts on hand but at least I had a Model S loaner to drive while I waited.

Did your warning notification first show on delivery as mine? I questioned it and am not happy the delivery person brushed this off as something that would go away on its own as Auto Pilot calibrated (even though I hadn't purchased it). My forward collision protection and side sensors never worked until the repairs were finally completed.

I hope your experience goes more smoothly.

BTW - Love your town and state. I'm drinking Pinon coffee right now and am seriously addicted to Hatch chiles.

I'm pretty sure the warning was showing from the beginning, even before calibration was complete. But I'm not 100% sure of this. Sadly, I didn't take a picture. The Mobile Service Ranger said the that it was a sensor, and he would order a part. If that doesn't fix it, I'll tell him about your bracket.

Sadly, I was denied the use of a loaner, even though I asked for it. So I've had to drive my gas guzzling minivan to Monterey, CA, after flying to Denver to pick up my Model 3 for this trip. I'll post separately about that. :-(

I checked with my son and he confirmed that the warning was there when we picked up the car. So I wonder if anyone else has ever seen this go away on its own? Since this thread is the only place with this exact message, I suspect not. If not, then a more serious message would probably be in order.

In any case, here's a picture of the message:
IMG_5737.jpeg

That's the message I had from delivery. I can't say that it couldn't be caused by something else but I don't think its a software glitch or calibration problem that will fix itself...as I had hoped. It waited a month before I finally took it in. Forward radar was the culprit in my case, and/or a damaged or bent mounting bracket keeping it out of proper alignment. I wonder if this also disables the forward/side collision warning and emergency braking? I was not getting front or side 3D cars showing up on my touchscreen so I think the entire system was disabled.

Your message wasn't displaying at delivery? It could be a different issue than mine but I think it will require service to repair. I doubt it is a software glitch. A tech should be able to diagnose it quickly. Keep in mind that you may not have features like emergency braking until the sensor (or bracket in my case) is replaced.