Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up for everyone. I can safely predict there will be a major update within the next week. How, you ask? Well, since I bought my first Tesla in 2013, with only one exception there has been a major update every time I have left town and left my car garaged for more than 7 days. It is Tesla's way of torturing me with a software update notification while I am hundreds of miles away from my car.

Tomorrow I leave for a 9 day ski trip out west.

To those of you who will be enjoying the next update long before me, I simply say...

You're welcome.

What is everyone's latest theories regarding the wigging/wavering lane lines? Even when stopped on a clearly marked, divided road in daylight the IC avatar/image has wiggling lines. AP2 does an ok job (within its stated limits of speed) with steering so why have none of the updates fixed the wiggling?

What is everyone's latest theories regarding the wigging/wavering lane lines? Even when stopped on a clearly marked, divided road in daylight the IC avatar/image has wiggling lines. AP2 does an ok job (within its stated limits of speed) with steering so why have none of the updates fixed the wiggling?
Yup biggest complaint I hope they fix. For me sometimes driving shakes too even with normal and visible lane markers.

It was running yesterday and I was on my way to a restaurant, auto steer was all over the place, it detects my right lane car as its own lane and trying to follow the car on my right lane.

Then on my way home after dinner, driver assist was completely disabled. I worry this is a hardware issue.

Good question. I assume AP1 lines do not wiggle, right?

Theory: The 'wiggle' effect on AP2 cars may be attributed to the 4 side cameras that are using a 'lobbing' process to gauge distance and angle as part of the tracking system. This would explain why AP1 cars don't experience the 'wiggle' effect because the 4 side cameras are not present. Hence, the varying firmware loads for AP1 and AP2 cars.

Reactions: Cinematechs
Theory: The 'wiggle' effect on AP2 cars may be attributed to the 4 side cameras that are using a 'lobbing' process to gauge distance and angle as part of the tracking system. This would explain why AP1 cars don't experience the 'wiggle' effect because the 4 side cameras are not present. Hence, the varying firmware loads for AP1 and AP2 cars.

Is it confirmed that all 4 front cameras are being used? Could cover 2/4 cameras with electrical tape and see if the system even complains. Maybe it will drive smoother like a horse with blinders.

Reactions: Ahisaac
When the lines wiggles, the autosteer is also unstable. It matters

No it doesn't. I use it all the time and haven't noticed any instability correlated with the wiggle. I've noticed some instability when it has trouble tracking the lane marking (like when it is raining or there is some other issue that makes the lane markings hard to see). That doesn't make the lines wiggle though, they disappear altogether when that happens. Whenever the lane markings are clear, Autosteer is rock solid with no instability.

Reactions: croman
Having as much functionality as we have today (which is frankly already beyond the abilities of Toyota Sense and many other rudimentary ACC + LDW systems on the market) after the hardware was shipped in October with basically what looks like zero software done, that's not my definition of "struggling". It took MobilEye the better part of a decade to deliver the underpinnings of AP1, and in every other car that currently uses ME hardware, it's a ping-pong steering solution with ACC that isn't terribly confidence inspiring in traffic.

In other words, it looks like Tesla put in a substantial amount of work on top of EyeQ3 in order to achieve AP1.

I wouldn't say Tesla is struggling at all. I think they are outpacing the industry's typical rate of development. The only thing Tesla is struggling with is communicating reasonable and honest ETAs and deadlines to customers.

Only enabling Autosteer at 50mph on the highway is basically useless for me. I commute 40 miles daily but I don't run into too much traffic on the highway. Tesla need to increase it to 65 mph, if they want to gather some good EAP data. Or enable autosteer on expressways too.

• Informative
Reactions: Ahisaac
Only enabling Autosteer at 50mph on the highway is basically useless for me. I commute 40 miles daily but I don't run into too much traffic on the highway. Tesla need to increase it to 65 mph, if they want to gather some good EAP data. Or enable autosteer on expressways too.

Tesla is gathering EAP data all the time, regardless of whether you are using it or how fast you are going. There is no need for you to actually engage the feature. In fact, data from when you are not using AP is likely more valuable to them than when you are using it. That is because they take the data and run it through their computer model to compare what the computer would have done to what you actually did. If AP is active, there is nothing for them to compare the data to (since you aren't driving) so unless a problem occurs that they need that data to analyze it wouldn't be as useful.

So please, continue driving in places where you can't use AP. It is making the product better for all of us that are able to use it. Thanks!