Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the internet term is "vaporware". Pitch the fantasy to consumers as if it's reality, and then figure out later how to make it all work. The legal term is fraud.
I'm glad I didn't buy the car for it's self driving capabilities, but it is disconcerting the way AP2 was advertised. Especially the self driving demo video that is still on the Tesla website Full Self-Driving Hardware on All Teslas and that Elon was saying AP2 would be close to parity with AP1 by the end of December. It would be nice if Elon would explain what's going on with the development AP2 and why they haven't met AP1 parity yet. I'm personally not surprised with how things are going. I'm surprised it's working as well as it is and there aren't a bunch of reports of AP2 car accidents. I just feel bad for the people that got duped by Elon's optimism. Hopefully it wasn't fraudulent, but it does kind of look that way without any explanations from Elon.

Reactions: oktane and croman
I'll be picking up my P100D AP2 car in a couple of months. I'm hoping that EAP/AP2 will be pretty much the same as AP1 by then, and I can just forget about the details about AP2 vs AP1... and just use it the same way as I've been doing for the past year or so on AP1 cars.

Time will tell - though I have to admit, from reading the anecdotes of people using AP2, I'm starting to wonder if Tesla is suffering from the Second System Effect. Of course, I know that sometimes you have to take a step backwards in order to leap forward.

However, it's hard to feel super confident right now... they fall out with Mobileye, take a different approach entirely, then fall out with the guy running the Autopilot program. Mobileye and Sterling Anderson are extremely smart guys... luminaries in the self-driving industry. The Chris Lattner + Nvidia + Tesla Vision combo is so new that it's hard to know if they can achieve the same result as AP1 at all, since it's such a radically different technical approach, with a complexity level several orders of magnitude above tightly tuned lane finding and headlight recognition.

I guess they surprised themselves with how well they got AP1 to work... It's difficult to sort of 'forget' about what they did with AP1 and reset the 'wow that's cool' barometer with AP2's advancement so far. I suppose following the road slowly, some of the time, under extremely careful human supervision is still remarkable for a car - it's just seemingly not much of an advancement considering how well AP1 currently performs.

Interesting times; exciting times; risky times! In fairness, they're also usually the best times :)

Finally went on long trip with my new p90d with ap2

Couple of observations:

1) rare and inappropriate tapping of break using tacc and or ap- couldn't figure out if overpass or signs. But enough to make me edgy. I've the outer bridge crossing in Staten Island/nj was tapping every 5 seconds. Wife got nauseated and told me "no more auto"- activated after bridge. Lol

2) slow speed traffic driving the steering wheel moving too much with the dancing lines we are all victim of

3) some lines on the road were hash marks spread a little bit from each other. Ap had hard time making stable lines.

After driving an HW2 car for the last month or so, I think they are about a year or more from delivering what was shown in that demo or was told the hardware can do. I hope I am wrong but if I am not, what next?
Is anyone happy driving a car that is less capable than a $50.000 car? I not referring to how fast it goes, I am referring to: rain sensor, lane departure warning, simple cruise control, better parking assist etc

Reactions: oktane and croman
Yep, that summarizes my feelings nicely, except substitute my 2014 Mercedes CLS550 experience for your Audi. TACC (MB calls it "Distronic") was always reliable and usable into the triple-digit speed range. Automated parking ("Parktronic") was perfect, auto lights, brights, and wipers worked properly from Day 1.....snip......
iirc, the Gen III advanced Prius - 2010, was one of, if not the 1st to incorporate lka, collision avoidance and such ... 7 years ago now.

After driving an HW2 car for the last month or so, I think they are about a year or more from delivering what was shown in that demo or was told the hardware can do. I hope I am wrong but if I am not, what next?
Is anyone happy driving a car that is less capable than a $50.000 car? I not referring to how fast it goes, I am referring to: rain sensor, lane departure warning, simple cruise control, better parking assist etc
I'm happy with mine so far. The only reason I paid for Autopilot was to get TACC, and TACC worked flawlessly on my last 300 mile road trip. I bought the car mainly for the machine not the tech. If I want to play with electronics I can do that a lot cheaper without a car, but it's the machine that outperforms any $50,000 car and that's what really matters when I'm driving.

Anyone who bought this car for auto-pilot as the main reason is going to be frustrated. Or I read some comments comparing it to luxury of MB, which again is not what Tesla is. Tesla is first and foremost an electric car that can go over 200 miles on a single charge. Any other car that does that right now?

Yeah, I would love for AP2 to be perfect, but I am going to cut some slack for Elon and his team (they just launched Falcon 9, which was so cool). I love driving my Tesla without the a fully functional AP2, while TACC/AP2 gets perfected. One day AP2 will all work and it will be awesome!

You can get TACC for a lot less, half the price, maybe less, not sure if electric. TACC for me was a disappointment and I miss the simple CC. With TACC I have to be more aware of what is going on behind me because it can slow down the car at any time without warning.
I didn't buy a Tesla to get TACC, I paid for autopilot to get TACC. Something I thought would be a really nice feature to have for a long time. I bought the Tesla because it's an awesome electric car. Another feature I've wanted for a long time. I have experienced a few slow downs when using TACC, but nothing close to a slamming on the brakes accident causing slow down. The way it slows down in the curves is amazing. I find it very trustworthy. Famous last words.

I don't think I can buy Bolt in WA yet. Maybe now you can but like Electroman said, Tesla with its range and the super charging network makes it unique. My 75d is the only car I own and I have taken it everywhere. It's really easy to plan a road trip. Not sure how easy it would with Bolt.

For the price difference I could buy four bolts and place them strategically across the country.

I'm glad I didn't buy the car for it's self driving capabilities, but it is disconcerting the way AP2 was advertised. Especially the self driving demo video that is still on the Tesla website Full Self-Driving Hardware on All Teslas and that Elon was saying AP2 would be close to parity with AP1 by the end of December. It would be nice if Elon would explain what's going on with the development AP2 and why they haven't met AP1 parity yet. I'm personally not surprised with how things are going. I'm surprised it's working as well as it is and there aren't a bunch of reports of AP2 car accidents. I just feel bad for the people that got duped by Elon's optimism. Hopefully it wasn't fraudulent, but it does kind of look that way without any explanations from Elon.

Do you have a citation on the "close to parity with AP1 by end of december"? From my memory they had a goal of reaching parity in early 2017, so like by the end of Q1 would still be early 2017.