Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're not alone. I heard from an unconfirmed source that driving the MS in the proximity of a Authorized Tesla Service center could prompt the FirmWare Update.

This is old folklore, worked for 7.1 updates, was turned off later on. Now there's an explicit field in the checkin for whether or not your car has a service appointment matching the time you're at the service center, and if not, it doesn't trigger anything.

D'oh. I gotta admit that the lure of AP1 is what got me out of bed to pre-order the Model 3 last year. Was tempted by the Model S, but just to big for my tastes and barely fit in my garage. Strangely, my wife loved it when I brought it home for a night, and wouldn't of objected to the purchase. Would still get the Model 3 over competitors just for Supercharger access and an AWD electric car, but once another electric car adds mobileye for AP1 performance a lot of the bloom will be off of Tesla unless they get AP2 to work up to expectations. At over triple the price for full AP2 capability compared to AP1 it's not much of a bargain.

Tesla just needs to own up to what went wrong and how they are going to get EAP where it needs to be. No sugarcoated over-promises.

Another failure: for no apparent reason at all, on my drive home just now -- in congestion on a highway on which I and many others have used EAP autotsteer before -- autosteer was unavailable.

IMG_7358.JPG

but once another electric car adds mobileye for AP1 performance a lot of the bloom will be off of Tesla

@kzod Just because someone uses a Mobileye chip/solution doesn't mean they will get a Tesla AP1 level of performance. (Since a lot of the AP1 code is custom Tesla code and not Mobileye code, just like Tesla is using 100% Tesla code in AP2, they didn't use what Nvidia had available.)

Reactions: bhzmark
Yes, all but a few people are still on 17.5.28.
I have .36 and your not missing anything. The in town 35mph AP is flat out dangerous! I'm hoping what Elon said during his Q&A webcast that he is hoping for 85 mph on both autsteer and TACC by end of next month and AP1 parity. I will have to go back and read what all he stated but there was some reasoning behind why HW2 vehicles have been getting updates and parity at a much slower rate than anticipated. I believe the mobile he switch being the biggest set back. I do have faith in a CEO who send spaceships into outer space and international Space Station!

Are you happy with how it is doing at 50mph?
Short answer - Nope.
It's quite hypervigelent - trying oh so hard, to stay perfectly between lines. So when the lanes sometimes take different paths? Or widen for one reason or another? Watch out for jerky-ness.
Then there's the sudden quick stop for no reason. No people, no car near by ... but it suddenly acts like it can see obstacles where none exist. That was a creepy 75 miles or so that i'll never get back.

Reactions: NicB72