Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought another router just to act as a wireless bridge/repeater for just my Tesla. Works great and my updates come on the first wave now. I'd recommend doing that -- its a bit of a pain but if you plan on having the car for a while, it will pay dividends in terms of getting software updates without hassle. We have a lot of updates to come this year (I have even more with FSD).

A decent sized house (>3500 sq. feet) is going to need multiple routers or a mesh wifi network for good coverage (depending on your definition of good coverage). I accept nothing less than a full signal in every corner of my house and for around 100 yards in all directions outside my house as well (so it works at the neighborhood pool and on the kid's fort, etc.). It is useful in this situation to separate your router from your wireless access points, although that isn't a requirement (and wouldn't be applicable if you use a mesh network like Google Wifi). Personally I have a pfSense router which handles my two internet connections to Comcast and AT&T (it was the best multi-WAN router I found that was powerful enough to handle the gigabit connection from Comcast at full speed), a Cisco SG200-50 switch and four Asus RT-AC66U units which operate in wireless access point mode. I have one wireless AP upstairs, one in the basement and two on the main floor. If you have a decent sized house, a single consumer class router just isn't going to cut it. You do have to run Cat6 ethernet throughout your house as well, but that is a necessity for any modern home.

Thanks croman and sdorn.
I think we have tried doing this, but this is out of my field of expertise
I'll take this to my home Chief Information Officer and see if we can do your suggestions!

You do have to run Cat6 ethernet throughout your house as well, but that is a necessity for any modern home.

our house was built in 1906
but I do know we have an ethernet thingy that goes from the basement (where the internet comes in to the house) to the second floor, and I do know there are Apple AirPorts scattered around the house and routers and other beeping blinking boxes so...

Clearly I'm not a tech savvy person...:eek:

Thanks croman and sdorn.
I think we have tried doing this, but this is out of my field of expertise
I'll take this to my home Chief Information Officer and see if we can do your suggestions!

our house was built in 1906
but I do know we have an ethernet thingy that goes from the basement (where the internet comes in to the house) to the second floor, and I do know there are Apple AirPorts scattered around the house and routers and other beeping blinking boxes so...

A mesh network like Google WiFi works well in an older home where you can't run ethernet, but having to rely on WiFi for all of your connections isn't ideal. No WiFi network is going to perform as well as ethernet, especially when the number of devices being connected increases. My network has somewhere near 70 devices connected to it currently and that number just keeps going up as the "internet of things" proliferates.

I'm on 17.7.2. Yesterday I had auto-steer in several places on my commute and it behaved as expected. Today on the same commute at the same time in the same places, the car never offered the gray steering wheel. Is this a known issue?
Yes. Need to get out of the car so the car shuts off completely and then restart. I don't know the reason why it happens, but it is common.

• Helpful
Reactions: AirKuhl

You should check your router bearings. They may be worn out. Our house was built in 1897. We've had problems with shoddy wave guides since they were made before catalytic converters. If all else fails, turn your house off, wait a minute, and turn it back on again. :cool:

I currently have a two year old loaner car with AP1. It's very solid in the right conditions, but it still does some crazy things when conditions change. I don't think AP2 is really that far off from parity for how new of a system it is. I don't think it's ready for prime time yet, but soon. Fingers crossed.

This is my experience as well. I had 6 weeks of an AP1 loaner where I used auto-steer 5 days a week. While there are discernible differences as of today, I feel confident that AP2 will catch up quickly.