Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update was successful and there was no need for calibration, worked on the first drive. Headed for the freeway abou 2 miles from the house and tried Autosteer with mixed reaction. It seemed to bounce in the lane quite a bit (the IC graphic was even worse, super jittery) and it surprised me how much resistance there is to the steering wheel, you really have to put some force on the wheel to correct the steering or change lanes (at which point is disengages). I think I was expecting more of an experience like in my wife's new E300 where the system does not activate if you do a lane correction, or even a lane change, and there is much less resistance to the steering wheel. Her car also has no restrictions on road type or speed of any kind (even on surface streets) but it does nag the hell of out you every 20 seconds or so.

I wonder how long the 45 MPH limit and the freeway limit will be in place...a couple of weeks?
Sorry to hear it is wobbly, but for reference, Tesla takes a very opposite approach to Mercedes. Tesla's AP mode is strictly 100% you or 100% machine, with clear audio chimes between transitions, much like a lot of airplane autopilot systems. It's normal that you cannot influence AutoSteer by much without disengaging it. The two companies seem to have very different schools of thought of how to handle L2 ADAS human machine interactions.

Update arrived at 4AM in NJ. Downloaded, installed, and drive tested! Great stuff - the last time I experienced Autosteer or TACC was when I test drove the demo car in early November. Picked up my MX before Christmas with 2.0 hardware and all the fun features missing.

Reactions: Matt125
My excitement is real! This should be no general surprise to the forum members for me getting it here two hours ago, around 2AM, in Santa Cruz county, not too far from Fremont; I got the "2 hours ago" notification on my iPhone when I woke up and saw my phone while turning off my usual wakeup alarm at 4AM, and I then ran out to do the update immediately. Here's the Unifi wifi AP point management interface statistics for the download my car did through the Internet:

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 4.06.39 AM.png

I'm excited in part because this is the first update I received while at home with the car logged into the Wifi I set up just for it. Every other time the car caught me using my iPhone to wifi tether to my laptop, using my iPhone's wifi tether, while I was sitting at a SuperCharger charging. So personally I'm quite pleased that the updates actually do happen while I'm at home, instead of just when I'm on wifi tether to my phone plans at SuperChargers.

Edit: the update completed 11 minutes ago, so 4:25, so my post at around 4:15, I probably started it around 4:05 or so -- in the ballpark of 10 - 20 minutes for the update to complete. This is a small update, just uploading some AI and feature stuff. I'm pleased that AI updates aren't heavy packages to unpack; they seem to transfer mostly run-mode intact. That implies both the ability to assimilate new knowledge without a complete wipe and a fairly set file format that is readily processed to install.

I wonder how much fleet knowledge is in that 1GB file and how much is constantly upgraded over the Internet. I'm leaning toward it being in that 1GB file. That's interesting by itself.

Update 2:

This is what it looks like on an AP2 HW car without any of the assistance features paid for:
IMG_0902.JPG

Reactions: Bilen
Amazing. It could determine lines on Highway 17 in the rain over the hill, even when I was driving in the middle of both lanes for safety reasons (can see further and react faster to mud slides and spun out cars and deer (edit: and being pushed left and right by puddles, and falling rocks). Also, on my non-paid for assistance features car, this is the first time I get lane lines on the dash screen.

I had a quiet safe section to budget extremely little mind and physical power to take the following explanatory photo:

IMG_0903.JPG

They show up as dark lines as lane sides.

So, I get the jiggle, too, in the lane markings.

Another thing: the lane barely changes shape even though the road changes shape a lot.

Edit: Being pushed around by rain puddles made me wonder if the car has motion and sound sensors, like us humans do, for experiencing the puddles pushing us sideways and sliding in curves.

Last edited:
A question while my update is downloading:

People seem to be saying that auto steering works only on "freeways", but I thought the rule was only on roads with dividers. Here on the East Coast we don't have anything called a "freeway", though the Cal-centric folks at Tesla (and Apple and Google and ...) think we do. We have "Interstates" or "Highways" and we also have many divided roads that are neither. So what exactly is the rule?

PS: One reason we don't call them freeways is that many are not free. EZ-Pass has ended the hassle of toll booths, allowing the government to remove money from our wallets silently and frictionlessly.

"No new taxes" to Southern politicians means you now have to call these financial contributions, or fees, or tolls, or special assessments. As for HW2, in the Charleston area, our morning drive suggests that AutoSteer only works on interstate highways with limited access. Doesn't work on divided highways regardless of number of lanes or speed limits. Doesn't work on 3-mile-long, 6-lane, 55MPH Ravenel Bridge even though the only way off would be to drive into the river.

Last edited:
A question while my update is downloading:

People seem to be saying that auto steering works only on "freeways", but I thought the rule was only on roads with dividers. Here on the East Coast we don't have anything called a "freeway", though the Cal-centric folks at Tesla (and Apple and Google and ...) think we do. We have "Interstates" or "Highways" and we also have many divided roads that are neither. So what exactly is the rule?

PS: One reason we don't call them freeways is that many are not free. EZ-Pass has ended the hassle of toll booths, allowing the government to remove money from our wallets silently and frictionlessly.

My impression with limited initial use is that in this initial release Auto Steering only works on Interstates and only works at speeds at or below 45 MPH.

TACC works everywhere at any set speed up to 75 MPH.

Mine installed and is working as advertised.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and NerdUno
I'm using Unifi as well. Did you notice the download only show up in Statistics and not in History?

Got the update at 5:02am in NY. I'm using UniFi too and it did show up in History. Note that I checked after I came back from a test ride so maybe ending the session created the History entry in the log.

The beta features were available out of the gate with no calibration messages.

Autosteer only worked on the interstate (I684). I could only use it for half a minute before I had to accelerate due to traffic behind me. TACC was not easy to test in that setting as the minimum flow in all lanes was in excess of 75.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and wesley888