Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's smart to start safe - remember you(we) are the Guinea pigs.

Yes. It's also worth remembering that we were told we'd have EAP in December. It's Jan, and we have no auto wipers, no auto headlights, no summon, no auto park, and Autosteer is limited to 45MPH.

This is only for HW2 cars. Of which there are about 25,000 now. So if Tesla wants even just 1M miles on AP to test it out, each car needs to do 40 miles on AP. At 45 MPH or less. So an hour for every single car.

For me, it will take months to spend an hour on a highway at below 45 MPH, and I assume lots of cars will be like that. So it will take a long calendar time to rack up those 1M miles because many cars won't be participating.

But Tesla has said they want more like 100M miles. Which means each car needs to do 4,000 miles on AP below 45 MPH. Which likely means years of data.

Given all of this, it's pretty unclear when autosteer will be functional at useful speeds, and that's pretty frustrating.

Yes. It's also worth remembering that we were told we'd have EAP in December. It's Jan, and we have no auto wipers, no auto headlights, no summon, no auto park, and Autosteer is limited to 45MPH.

This is only for HW2 cars. Of which there are about 25,000 now. So if Tesla wants even just 1M miles on AP to test it out, each car needs to do 40 miles on AP. At 45 MPH or less. So an hour for every single car.

For me, it will take months to spend an hour on a highway at below 45 MPH, and I assume lots of cars will be like that. So it will take a long calendar time to rack up those 1M miles because many cars won't be participating.

But Tesla has said they want more like 100M miles. Which means each car needs to do 4,000 miles on AP below 45 MPH. Which likely means years of data.

Given all of this, it's pretty unclear when autosteer will be functional at useful speeds, and that's pretty frustrating.

This doesn't take into account the exponential growth of cars as they get delivered over time. Also, they bumped autosteer from 35 mph to 45 mph after just two weeks of testing 1,000 cars. I'm sure we will get further small increases over time which will make AP auto steer more viable, thus providing more data to the fleet.

I don't think it'll be years before we see a robust feature set, doesn't seem like customers would stand for that.

This is making the assumption that it will be limited to 45MPH and on highways only from now until full roll out, which probably won't be the case.

I'm assuming they will life restrictions gradually...for example the next step could be to allow Autosteer up to 55MPH (going off of 35 to 45 logic) and then 65MPH (maybe once a week or every other week update?). It could then be followed up with lifting the restrictions on surface streets etc.

Reactions: emchen
Sorry to hear it is wobbly, but for reference, Tesla takes a very opposite approach to Mercedes. Tesla's AP mode is strictly 100% you or 100% machine, with clear audio chimes between transitions, much like a lot of airplane autopilot systems. It's normal that you cannot influence AutoSteer by much without disengaging it. The two companies seem to have very different schools of thought of how to handle L2 ADAS human machine interactions.

For the time, I have to say I like Mercedes' approach better. In an emergency situation, the Mercedes lets you take over seamlessly, which builds confidence in the system. With the Tesla, it seems the abrupt jerk of the steering wheel required could in itself cause the driver to panic.

Where Mercedes fell really short is the information the driver has regarding the auto steering feature. There is a (very) small steering wheel that turns green when the system is enabled, but there are no audible warnings when the system disengages and while it has a HUD, that doesn't show you the status either. Plus, the Tesla is far superior in terms of showing you what the car sees around it and the lanes themselves, which build a lot of confidence in the system. The Mercedes all you see is if there is a car ahead when using TACC, and even then the graphics are pretty choppy.

Got the update at 5:02am in NY. I'm using UniFi too and it did show up in History. Note that I checked after I came back from a test ride so maybe ending the session created the History entry in the log.

You are totally right! I just came back from some driving and the log entry closed and reported.

upload_2017-1-22_12-38-21.png

The 5h 20m mark is when I drove the car away. So, when the router couldn't see my car, it closed the log and reported the amount of data transfer during that time.

I got the notification of new firmware available at about 5:32am. So, the download took less than 45 minutes (since there is no sure way to tell exactly when it started downloading after 4:47am)

I have an S75D from mid-December in the Phoenix area. Got the 17.3.2. update installed this morning, no calibration required, worked immediately. Did not try autosteer as traffic was too heavy to safely drop to 45. I normally drive in the HOV lane during my daily commute so won't be very useful anyway. I might drop into the slower traffic lanes just to try it out. TACC worked very well, although it is limited to 75. Not a big problem for my daily driving on 65mph freeway, but would be very annoying when I drive the I-10 where limit is 75, and usually do 80-85. Hopefully the TACC limit will be increased also.

I'm really wondering how Tesla is going to get the hundreds of millions of miles of experience they want if the only place you can use this is on 60+ MPH roads while doing 18 to 45 MPH.

Hopefully it will continuously gather data even if auto pilot is not enabled. I do wonder of Tesla really has a planned rollout or if they are just making it up as they go along?

I expected parity by end of December, and have patience for a few more weeks but that's about it.

I drove the car around for 45 minutes, mixed use areas including the interstate and I can't get the system to calibrate.

Any tips to offer up?

I am also getting the camera calibrating message. It seems like many of us who were on firmware .36 and have P100Ds are in calibration limbo. It could mean that the .36 firmware didn't have shadow mode and therefore our cameras weren't calibrating like the rest of the fleet.

Anyone with a P100D not have to calibrate after the update? Also, has anyone with a P100D successfully completed the calibration after the most recent update?

I wonder how long the 45 MPH limit and the freeway limit will be in place...a couple of weeks?

Did you read the screen that came up when you hit the button to enable Autosteer? It said "For a short time, we are placing lower limits on the top speed at which the new Autopilot may be used. These will gradually increase to normal levels over the next few months."

img_20170121_193008-jpg.211579

Last edited:
Amazing. It could determine lines on Highway 17 in the rain over the hill, even when I was driving in the middle of both lanes for safety reasons (can see further and react faster to mud slides and spun out cars and deer (edit: and being pushed left and right by puddles, and falling rocks). Also, on my non-paid for assistance features car, this is the first time I get lane lines on the dash screen.

I had a quiet safe section to budget extremely little mind and physical power to take the following explanatory photo:

View attachment 211623

They show up as dark lines as lane sides.

So, I get the jiggle, too, in the lane markings.

Another thing: the lane barely changes shape even though the road changes shape a lot.

Edit: Being pushed around by rain puddles made me wonder if the car has motion and sound sensors, like us humans do, for experiencing the puddles pushing us sideways and sliding in curves.

So just to be clear, you have HW2 installed in your car but didn't pay for AP1 or EAP or did you pay for AP1 before the HW update and this is what the AP1 experience looks like?