Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure about rolling out updates by service center? I'm in Northern NJ, use the Paramus service center, and received the update on Saturday at 4AM. I've seen at least 2 other members including you that presumably use the Paramus SC that haven't received their update yet.

You misunderstood.

Not grouping by service center...per, as in, service persons said it.

I've been using TACC on the new HW2 update and that has been working great and I've been pretty happy with how smooth (and safe) it feels most of the time in following traffic. In regard to Autosteer, however, I feel a lot less confident about using it at this point. Case in point... I activated it this morning driving down the 101 from Santa Barbara and against direct sunlight, and there were several instances in which the car could not see the right lane markings (even though I could clearly see it with my own eyes) and it started to swerve almost into the other lane opposite of the lane markings in which the car was able to see. One would think that the car should try to align or "hug" itself towards whichever lane marking it could see if the other lane disappears instead of thinking that since there's no lane marking on the right, in this case, that the other lane has now become the lane in which it's driving on. That's kinda dangerous. In any case, I would just cautious paying very close attention and always holding the steering wheel (for now) if you're using auto steer.

I've been using TACC on the new HW2 update and that has been working great and I've been pretty happy with how smooth (and safe) it feels most of the time in following traffic. In regard to Autosteer, however, I feel a lot less confident about using it at this point. Case in point... I activated it this morning driving down the 101 from Santa Barbara and against direct sunlight, and there were several instances in which the car could not see the right lane markings (even though I could clearly see it with my own eyes) and it started to swerve almost into the other lane opposite of the lane markings in which the car was able to see. One would think that the car should try to align or "hug" itself towards whichever lane marking it could see if the other lane disappears instead of thinking that since there's no lane marking on the right, in this case, that the other lane has now become the lane in which it's driving on. That's kinda dangerous. In any case, I would just cautious paying very close attention and always holding the steering wheel (for now) if you're using auto steer.

AP1 (HW1) has gotten quite good at doing this—using whichever lane marking is most clear and relevant. I would have thought that HW2 would inherit some of this algorithmic refinement that happened over time (many months) with HW1, but due to the completely new platform, and the machine-learning basis, maybe we have to drive that proverbial winding road again!

Are you sure about rolling out updates by service center? I'm in Northern NJ, use the Paramus service center, and received the update on Saturday at 4AM. I've seen at least 2 other members including you that presumably use the Paramus SC that haven't received their update yet.

So i did not believe this at first and it might be coincidence.

I left the car at home and did not get the first update. I went to supercharge and connected to the wifi at the SC and got an update when i went home that night.

currently my cars in the SC, so i dont know if i got the AP 2 update yet. Hopefully i did. But my loaner got an update the first second i went to supercharge.

YMMV?

No, according to the current release notes it is for use "above 5 mph", and that seems to be just about exactly what it does. When on TACC, you loose the 2nd car ahead at about 5-6 mph, and the car immediately ahead at 2-3 mph, but you're on your own from 5 mph to 0 and back... AutoSteer (which is currently limited to essentially Interstates and less than 45 mph) works all the way to 0 and back...

This IS what they are supposed to be doing per the current (17.3.2) release notes.
Not true , you are doing something wrong.

Had about 30 mins in slow moving traffic (accident ahead)... once I got to 5mph (a real achievement!) I engaged auto steer. Really took the pressure of sitting in the slow moving traffic. Discovered it's pretty happy at 8-10mph with one hand holding the wheel at the 4pm position. Looking forward to auto steer even up to 60/70 mph on similar highways.

Did anyone who received the update do so over LTE or has everyone been on WiFi? Contacted Support to ask where my update was and they said they have not started updating LTE customers yet. Here is the exact wording:

"A new software update recently began to roll out to vehicles with the new Autopilot hardware. At this time, most customers are having success in downloading the software update when connected to home Wifi networks, but the update should gradually download and prepare for installation over the vehicle’s LTE connection."

What about a dead stop in traffic? Is it expected to stop right behind car that's not moving?

With all this discussion, I went out just to test it out for you guys. :)

I engaged TACC after the car is moving past 5 mph. I had the car following another car at 6 distance unit. It stayed quite far away at high speed. When we get to a red light, the car started slowing down as the car in front slowing down. Eventually, my car continue on slowly and get to less than 1 car length away from the car in front. And then it stopped. When the light turned green, my car started by itself. As the speed increase, the distance between my car the the car in front also increase. All worked very smoothly!

Another person had doubt about the car distance even set to max distance. This is a great example. Since the car in front was slowing to almost stop, and eventually stopped. The 6 distance unit is actually less than 1 car away due to the slow moving speed. In real world application, this is perfect.

Before I did the test, I was also thinking I would have to keep adjusting the car distance in stop and go traffic. No way I could keep so far apart from the car in front in NYC. LOL

Someone else mentioned that the new release didn't show vehicles in lanes other than the one you're in on the dashboard. It's actually worse than that. Driving in the right lane of a divided highway with TACC today, we had a car from the left lane cut in front of us while we were going about 30 MPH. TACC didn't react at all. Without manually applying the brake, we would have hit the car. MORAL: Don't assume TACC is tracking any vehicle other than what is shown on your dashboard. It's NOT!

Contacted support to ask when I would get my update was and they said that the update is not getting pushed to my car and is 'pending'. They said to connect to WiFi for better chances of getting it and that it would come soon, 'in few hours, maybe tonight, or maybe in a day or two'.

I feel it might take another day or two for my car to be updated. The .180 update came in on Thursday (Jan. 19) for me, 4 days after it was released.

Someone else mentioned that the new release didn't show vehicles in lanes other than the one you're in on the dashboard. It's actually worse than that. Driving in the right lane of a divided highway with TACC today, we had a car from the left lane cut in front of us while we were going about 30 MPH. TACC didn't react at all. Without manually applying the brake, we would have hit the car. MORAL: Don't assume TACC is tracking any vehicle other than what is shown on your dashboard. It's NOT!

That's exactly what I've encountered as well. The car cannot see any merging car until it is almost 100% in your lane! If people are cutting in, prepare to hit the brake. It is currently very narrow sighted.

That's exactly what I've encountered as well. The car cannot see any merging car until it is almost 100% in your lane! If people are cutting in, prepare to hit the brake. It is currently very narrow sighted.
In my case I don't think it ever saw after fully merged. I didn't wait to find out as there was no time. I was anyway on follow distance 2. So just had to slam the breaks.

Exactly the same behaviour in my hands too, and I didn't want to wait around to find out if my car would respond so I disengaged TACC. A failure mode that has to be addressed ASAP.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Today, I let TACC handle cars cutting in front of me - it doesn't immediately reduce speed, but it does slowly reduce it, which is exactly how I drive. In several cases, the cars cut in front of me just as traffic was coming to a stop, and TACC did what it needed to do.

It *is* a bit nerve-wracking, because the display isn't showing these vehicles until they're well in your lane.

The one exception was when a big truck cut in front of me while autosteering - I had to apply the brakes (not sure if I really had to, but the tesla got too close for comfort, and even when we stopped, it still didn't show the truck on the display).

I also let TACC take me from 60mph to full stop. It did it smoothly, a close approximation of how I would have handled it. It slowed down far enough back that I didn't get nervous and came to a full stop a few feet from the front car.

With all this discussion, I went out just to test it out for you guys. :)

I engaged TACC after the car is moving past 5 mph. I had the car following another car at 6 distance unit. It stayed quite far away at high speed. When we get to a red light, the car started slowing down as the car in front slowing down. Eventually, my car continue on slowly and get to less than 1 car length away from the car in front. And then it stopped. When the light turned green, my car started by itself. As the speed increase, the distance between my car the the car in front also increase. All worked very smoothly!

Another person had doubt about the car distance even set to max distance. This is a great example. Since the car in front was slowing to almost stop, and eventually stopped. The 6 distance unit is actually less than 1 car away due to the slow moving speed. In real world application, this is perfect.

Before I did the test, I was also thinking I would have to keep adjusting the car distance in stop and go traffic. No way I could keep so far apart from the car in front in NYC. LOL
Thanks for confirming this is working as designed.

Reactions: wesley888