Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot freak out on 16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrandonLive

MS LR (refresh) Blue/Black/21s/FSD
Sep 24, 2018
Seattle
Yesterday morning as I was about to disengage AP at the end of an off-ramp (in stop-and-go traffic) I encountered a behavior I’d never seen before, where the car suddenly freaked out with loud alarms, a flurry of messages (red “Takeover immediately” and one or two others), and put itself in park with the hazard lights on. Took me a minute to figure out that I needed to put the car in drive to disable the hazards and continue driving. I thought maybe it saw the red light at the end of the off-ramp or something and panicked, but I drive there every day and I always disengage AP at the end of the ramp and take over.

Tonight on my way home from work, I was in stop-and-go traffic on the highway for more than half an hour with AP working normally. Then suddenly it freaked out again the same way, for no apparent reason, again putting the car in park and turning not on the hazards. After shifting back to drive and continuing, AP and cruise were not available for the next minute or two, and during this time the display didn’t show any nearby cars (despite being surrounded by them). It eventually came back and seemed to work normally.

This has me a bit nervous though. I wonder if this is why it looks like they may have paused the 16.2 rollout?

19.16.2 is not paused. Current update rate is pretty much as fast as it gets.

F32206C4-5D92-4A00-9A25-446358C4C17C.png

I did have some issues last week with it saying cameras were obscured or something, and blindspot monitoring was disabled. There didn’t seem to be anything on them, unless just some pollen maybe.

I’ll probably submit a service request when I get a chance. The timing with this starting right after the update made me suspicious though, and curious if anyone else is seeing this.

Yesterday morning as I was about to disengage AP at the end of an off-ramp (in stop-and-go traffic) I encountered a behavior I’d never seen before, where the car suddenly freaked out with loud alarms, a flurry of messages (red “Takeover immediately” and one or two others), and put itself in park with the hazard lights on. Took me a minute to figure out that I needed to put the car in drive to disable the hazards and continue driving. I thought maybe it saw the red light at the end of the off-ramp or something and panicked, but I drive there every day and I always disengage AP at the end of the ramp and take over.

Tonight on my way home from work, I was in stop-and-go traffic on the highway for more than half an hour with AP working normally. Then suddenly it freaked out again the same way, for no apparent reason, again putting the car in park and turning not on the hazards. After shifting back to drive and continuing, AP and cruise were not available for the next minute or two, and during this time the display didn’t show any nearby cars (despite being surrounded by them). It eventually came back and seemed to work normally.

This has me a bit nervous though. I wonder if this is why it looks like they may have paused the 16.2 rollout?

Lol yeah I got 16.2 tonight and it seems like the rollout has sped up. Hopefully these issues aren’t widespread and continue for you.

I know this is an old thread, but had this exact same thing happen to me this morning on 20.4.2. In my case, I was at a stop light, and I engaged autopilot from hold. It then did the whole freak out sequence you described, and it took me a little while to figure out I had to shift to drive to disengage the hazards. Kind of embarrassing. I searched for “autopilot freak out hazard lights park” and found your thread. Does your car still do this? Did you have to take it in for service?

My car was recently washed, nothing obstructing the cameras, but it was morning, and the sun was shining directly into the front cameras. Maybe that’s what caused it? o_O

Mine hasn’t don’t this again since I posted this. I do wonder if I had shifted and lifted my weight off the seat to stretch or cool off my back, and maybe that had triggered some safeguard. It was strange that it happened twice in a short period and then never again, even on the same software version.

• Informative
Reactions: fseir
I've seen at low speeds, if i move out of chair releasing pressure on the seat, the car does exactly as described above. Try it and see if the behavior is similar to your experience in those earlier instances.
You know what, I just saw your post, and it made me think — right after putting the car into autopilot, I pulled my wallet out of my back pocket, and in doing so, probably lifted off the seat enough to make the car go into park. But since it was in autopilot, that probably led to the freak out. I think you solved this one!

Speaking of lifting off the seat, it’s a good thing I have a no-farting-in-the-Tesla policy (software simulations aside)! :D