TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AutoPilot freak out on 16.2

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by BrandonLive, May 23, 2019.

1. BrandonLive

BrandonLive P3D+, Blue on white

Yesterday morning as I was about to disengage AP at the end of an off-ramp (in stop-and-go traffic) I encountered a behavior I’d never seen before, where the car suddenly freaked out with loud alarms, a flurry of messages (red “Takeover immediately” and one or two others), and put itself in park with the hazard lights on. Took me a minute to figure out that I needed to put the car in drive to disable the hazards and continue driving. I thought maybe it saw the red light at the end of the off-ramp or something and panicked, but I drive there every day and I always disengage AP at the end of the ramp and take over.

Tonight on my way home from work, I was in stop-and-go traffic on the highway for more than half an hour with AP working normally. Then suddenly it freaked out again the same way, for no apparent reason, again putting the car in park and turning not on the hazards. After shifting back to drive and continuing, AP and cruise were not available for the next minute or two, and during this time the display didn’t show any nearby cars (despite being surrounded by them). It eventually came back and seemed to work normally.

This has me a bit nervous though. I wonder if this is why it looks like they may have paused the 16.2 rollout?

2. brandonee916

brandonee916 Member

Having your vehicle go into Park is something completely different.... make a service appointment

3. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

19.16.2 is not paused. Current update rate is pretty much as fast as it gets.

F32206C4-5D92-4A00-9A25-446358C4C17C.png

4. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

It sounds like something scared it and it decided it didn’t want to drive anymore.

I wonder if Tesla can look at the log files to see what happened.

5. BrandonLive

BrandonLive P3D+, Blue on white

I did have some issues last week with it saying cameras were obscured or something, and blindspot monitoring was disabled. There didn’t seem to be anything on them, unless just some pollen maybe.

I’ll probably submit a service request when I get a chance. The timing with this starting right after the update made me suspicious though, and curious if anyone else is seeing this.

6. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Lol yeah I got 16.2 tonight and it seems like the rollout has sped up. Hopefully these issues aren’t widespread and continue for you.

7. adam0785

adam0785 Member

It's part of the neural network, machine learning, AI process.

Thank you for your contribution!

8. Casmium

Casmium Member

Used to get random screen reboots before 16.2, that problem has gone away, wonder if now the autopilot PC is rebooting under some situations

9. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

I've seen at low speeds, if i move out of chair releasing pressure on the seat, the car does exactly as described above. Try it and see if the behavior is similar to your experience in those earlier instances.