Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot freaked out on me twice today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once on the way to work and once on the way back home, 2 different locations but both were when I was stopped behind a car in traffic. The car started ringing all it's warning chimes, all kinds of alerts flashed, went into park by itself, and turned on the hazards. It freaked me out as I had to try to turn off the hazards and try to pull over, but realized it was in park and wouldn't go. This was the first time it happened to me after 4 months, and then to have it happen twice in the same day. I also noticed soon thereafter that the dashcam wouldn't work saying that my drive wasn't fast enough, which is BS since I've not had any issues with it this whole time. It's easy for me to blame the latest update, but it definitely made me lose confidence in autopilot.

Once on the way to work and once on the way back home, 2 different locations but both were when I was stopped behind a car in traffic. The car started ringing all it's warning chimes, all kinds of alerts flashed, went into park by itself, and turned on the hazards. It freaked me out as I had to try to turn off the hazards and try to pull over, but realized it was in park and wouldn't go. This was the first time it happened to me after 4 months, and then to have it happen twice in the same day. I also noticed soon thereafter that the dashcam wouldn't work saying that my drive wasn't fast enough, which is BS since I've not had any issues with it this whole time. It's easy for me to blame the latest update, but it definitely made me lose confidence in autopilot.
the car slows to a stop and puts on hazards when it detects a lack of user input while using autopilot. were you ignoring the wheel input notifications?

I remember seeing reports that sentry/dashcam sometimes interfered with and caused issues with AP for people when the drive was either filling up or could not be written to. I'd suggest removing the USB drive to see if that resolves the issue with AP or not.

Happened to me once a couple of days back, after stopping at an intersection for sometime. Earlier in similar circumstance it would ask me to resume by pressing the accelerator.

The current version I have, 28.3.1, has had problems when
- the road is forking
- some intersections
- stopped behind a car at an intersection and the car turns right
- stopped at an intersection for a long time

I was definitely tugging the wheel when prompted, but while stopped I was not jiggling the wheel as it did not ask me to. I'll try to free up some space on my USB drive. The dashcam error went away after restarting the screen. It does feel like it's associated when stopped behind a car for a while.

Sounds like OP was not keeping his hands on the wheel, or if he was, was not giving enough driver input.

Not necessarily. Apparently there is a known bug related to the USB drives that crashes the AP computer. I had it do it to me at highway speeds once (with my hands on the wheel). Luckily at highway speeds it doesn't put you in park, just hands back ALL control (including cancelling TACC) with loud beeps. Took a few minutes to reboot. All surrounding cars and lane lines disappear, it's quite interesting.

Not necessarily. Apparently there is a known bug related to the USB drives that crashes the AP computer. I had it do it to me at highway speeds once (with my hands on the wheel). Luckily at highway speeds it doesn't put you in park, just hands back ALL control (including cancelling TACC) with loud beeps. Took a few minutes to reboot. All surrounding cars and lane lines disappear, it's quite interesting.

I wonder if this was what happened to me last week when it said "Take over immediately", followed by "Cruise control disabled. Automatic Emergency Braking Disabled." I pulled over and rebooted, and everything went back to normal.

Reviving this thread to say this has happened to me a couple times. Both times stopped at a light and I have had my hands off the wheel while stopped but there were NO warnings or anything because I was watching. It just suddenly with no warning put the flashers on and put car in park.