Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot free trials coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$5k is truly ridiculous for what you currently get with it. Unless you use it every day on your commute, then I just don't see the value at that price point. If they actually came out with FSD for a total of $8k, then I could see the value when I can get chauffeured around.

This and the fact that many manufacturers are offering some level of this as a cheaper option or included in their higher level vehicles.
Nissan, Honda, etc have TACC and Lane Keeping Assist standard in their $30k+ vehicles. I don't see how Tesla can continue to justify it as an option (a hefty $5k software option) when they are selling their vehicles as revolutionary.

If they offered components of EAP (TACC, Lane Keeping Assist) as lesser priced options, then I might consider it.
It’s basically the price of the car.. if they weren’t charging $5k for it they would make the rest more expensive...

From what I heard the competition is nowhere close to autopilot right now... especially since the March update. That “rewrite” update is game changer.

I have done trips to San Diego and Palm Springs probably 99 percent on autopilot.. the lane centering is so good sometimes I can barely tell where the lanes are and it can.

Freeway driving you avoid interchanges you avoid going too fast and that thing is amazing.

The only annoyance is phantom braking hopefully they ship something soon but I doubt that is difficult to address.

It’s basically the price of the car.. if they weren’t charging $5k for it they would make the rest more expensive...

From what I heard the competition is nowhere close to autopilot right now... especially since the March update. That “rewrite” update is game changer.

I have done trips to San Diego and Palm Springs probably 99 percent on autopilot.. the lane centering is so good sometimes I can barely tell where the lanes are and it can.

Freeway driving you avoid interchanges you avoid going too fast and that thing is amazing.

The only annoyance is phantom braking hopefully they ship something soon but I doubt that is difficult to address.
Seems like the closest technology to Tesla AP is Nissan's ProPilot Assist. You have to get the top trim to get the feature.

So is autopilot worth an entire 2013 volt? If I trade in my volt I can get 5k which almost covers autopilot which is closer to 6k financed and after tax, and take a 3k loss ont he volt too (purchased for 8k).

Maybe I can private sell the volt to cover adding autopilot? Is it THAT good? I took a test drive using autopilot on the freeway in a new S and it was amazing, but I'm sort of hesitating since essentially it's the same cost as the car I just purchased to get me by until I can order.

Or I can look at it the other way around. Is a volt such a terrible car that it's only worth the same as as the tesla software download?

• Funny
Reactions: gtmotor
So is autopilot worth an entire 2013 volt? If I trade in my volt I can get 5k which almost covers autopilot which is closer to 6k financed and after tax, and take a 3k loss ont he volt too (purchased for 8k).

Maybe I can private sell the volt to cover adding autopilot? Is it THAT good? I took a test drive using autopilot on the freeway in a new S and it was amazing, but I'm sort of hesitating since essentially it's the same cost as the car I just purchased to get me by until I can order.

Or I can look at it the other way around. Is a volt such a terrible car that it's only worth the same as as the tesla software download?

You might get more satisfaction letting that Volt drive off a cliff.... haha I don't think it's worth another car, but it is useful if you commute in lots of traffic everyday.

Is your 2013 volt better than 5x my 2005 Honda Accord? My Honda accord has more cargo space and better range.

I remember my Dad saying the same thing about automatic transmissions, power steering, power brakes and power windows. Thought they were just overpriced gadgets that would cost money to fix.

Said the same thing about air conditioning, but once he experienced it, he never bought another car again without A/C.

I believe that once people experience the benefits of assisted driving they will demand it in every future purchase.

Some people, however, are highly resistant to change. It will take a while for them to come around :)

I wouldn’t use EAP enough to justify it since I don’t take many trips and most of my commuting is on city streets.

I would love to see Tesla offer a subscription or one time use option for EAP. Then I could pay for it if taking a trip then discontinue the service when I hit another stretch where I don’t need it.

Reactions: pmich80
i do a lot of highway driving and EAP has been amazing. Soooo much better letting the car deal with the bumper to bumper nonsense. I'm waiting for my HOV stickers and EAP has made the wait a little more tolerable. Even when i get the stickers though, the HOV lane backs up pretty terribly most days in the summer with folks heading out to vacation spots on LI.

No other manufacturer's previously shipping or currently shipping driver assist systems can touch what Tesla is doing.

If you don't get that, then of course you will think it's not worth the price.

Of course I understand and believe that Tesla is ahead of other manufacturer's option.

What I don't agree with is the $5k price tag for a software beta. Hell, the software is so beta that people are having problems that are causing accidents (You You) or near accidents.

Honestly one of the reasons I would want it is without on the Model 3 at least, there is no "resume" on the cruise control. You can set it, you can disengage it but you cant resume your old speed without accelerating back up to that speed and resetting it.

There is not really resume with AP on the 3. You can single click to go the speed limit if it is reading it, but that is it. If you were going 72 in a 65, unless you had speed limit adjust set to exactly that speed, you still have to manually get there (via the pedal or scroll wheel).

I tried EAP during my test drive with a colleague's Model 3. It worked well on a congested Bay Area freeway in stop-and-go traffic as well as a short trip outside in a less busy area. That said, I didn't see anything that was significantly better than the driver assist in one of our current cars (an Audi with "traffic jam assist" and lane keeping). From what I have seen Tesla currently doesn't have anything in terms of technology that other manufacturers don't have, it's just that they are willing to take more risks by being less restrictive about when they allow the driver to activate the system. Depending on your perspective that may be good thing or the opposite.

Personally I wouldn't pay $5K for the current capabilities (the Audi driver assist package cost less than half of that), but of course there is the possibility that they will eventually implement the more advanced features that they promised. I'm somewhat sceptical after all the delays, but others may find the potential worth it.

There is not really resume with AP on the 3. You can single click to go the speed limit if it is reading it, but that is it. If you were going 72 in a 65, unless you had speed limit adjust set to exactly that speed, you still have to manually get there (via the pedal or scroll wheel).
Do you need to resume with adaptive cruise control?

I tried EAP during my test drive with a colleague's Model 3. It worked well on a congested Bay Area freeway in stop-and-go traffic as well as a short trip outside in a less busy area. That said, I didn't see anything that was significantly better than the driver assist in one of our current cars (an Audi with "traffic jam assist" and lane keeping). From what I have seen Tesla currently doesn't have anything in terms of technology that other manufacturers don't have, it's just that they are willing to take more risks by being less restrictive about when they allow the driver to activate the system. Depending on your perspective that may be good thing or the opposite.

Personally I wouldn't pay $5K for the current capabilities (the Audi driver assist package cost less than half of that), but of course there is the possibility that they will eventually implement the more advanced features that they promised. I'm somewhat sceptical after all the delays, but others may find the potential worth it.

The Audi only works at speeds under 37mph or has this changed?
Over the air updates?
Will it change lanes for you?
Does it like or hate police and emergency vehciles? :D

Last edited: