Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot free trials coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a pretty galling up front cost - since it's all software to enable/disable they should go down a subscription route or something... they probably will down the line. At this point there's no need for the complexity I guess enough people buy it...

$5k is truly ridiculous for what you currently get with it. Unless you use it every day on your commute, then I just don't see the value at that price point. If they actually came out with FSD for a total of $8k, then I could see the value when I can get chauffeured around.

This and the fact that many manufacturers are offering some level of this as a cheaper option or included in their higher level vehicles.
Nissan, Honda, etc have TACC and Lane Keeping Assist standard in their $30k+ vehicles. I don't see how Tesla can continue to justify it as an option (a hefty $5k software option) when they are selling their vehicles as revolutionary.

If they offered components of EAP (TACC, Lane Keeping Assist) as lesser priced options, then I might consider it.

$5k is truly ridiculous for what you currently get with it. Unless you use it every day on your commute, then I just don't see the value at that price point. If they actually came out with FSD for a total of $8k, then I could see the value when I can get chauffeured around.

This and the fact that many manufacturers are offering some level of this as a cheaper option or included in their higher level vehicles.
Nissan, Honda, etc have TACC and Lane Keeping Assist standard in their $30k+ vehicles. I don't see how Tesla can continue to justify it as an option (a hefty $5k software option) when they are selling their vehicles as revolutionary.

If they offered components of EAP (TACC, Lane Keeping Assist) as lesser priced options, then I might consider it.

I have it in my current tesla and was mis-stated by the sales rep that it had auto-pilot in the price. So when I bought it, and didn't have it, they ended up including it for me. Being that I got it for free, I do enjoy it. But like many others have stated, it's not worth the price IMO. If it was much cheaper or free, I would gladly use it, but I will not be spending that money to add it out of my pocket.

If you commute in stop and go every day, get your wallets ready. It is absolutely worth 5 grand -- 14% of the base model or just 10% of the cheapest one you can buy right now.

Not for everyone. I commute everyday and I do use it often, and enjoy it, but I can think of many other things I can put $5k into better use than the convenience of stop/go traffic.

Now if it truly had self driving and all the other things Elon's been promising, maybe it will be worth the price they are asking.

Either way, when my lease is up in December, I will only have auto-pilot on my next one if it happens to come with the car already or I get another freebie again.

I agree that it's expensive. I did end up getting it and I am loving it so far. I use TACC, auto steering and auto park every chance I get. It greatly reduces the amount of stress for me when I drive.

I think in the future the cost will go down. Once they are able to sell more volume, the cost of R&D can be spread across many more cars. I fully understand that I'm paying a premium to be an early adopter.

I agree that it's expensive. I did end up getting it and I am loving it so far. I use TACC, auto steering and auto park every chance I get. It greatly reduces the amount of stress for me when I drive.

I think in the future the cost will go down. Once they are able to sell more volume, the cost of R&D can be spread across many more cars. I fully understand that I'm paying a premium to be an early adopter.

I absolutely believe they will significantly reduce the cost. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the cost in half once the $7500 tax credit expires. That way the people who lost the full tax credit can get a $2500 break, but it still isn't quite as good as the folks who got it with the full tax credit.

It's a $5000 software add. Give me a break already. $5k for SOFTWARE that's in BETA?

I absolutely believe they will significantly reduce the cost. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the cost in half once the $7500 tax credit expires. That way the people who lost the full tax credit can get a $2500 break, but it still isn't quite as good as the folks who got it with the full tax credit.

It's a $5000 software add. Give me a break already. $5k for SOFTWARE that's in BETA?
Getting a full tax credit is probably the main reason that I decided to get it. I can't speak for others but so far it's working great even though it's in BETA. I'm hopefully more features will be added in the future.

Wouldn't that be fairly a fairly unprecedented thing for Tesla to do? I understand early adopter tax, we are all paying it with this car to some degree, but a drastic cost reduction like that could create a lot of ill will towards customers that paid for it on ordering. It potentially cheapens the value of the existing fleet as well. Doesn't seem very likely to me.

Buying a Tesla without its iconic self driving is like buying a Christmas tree, but not putting lights on it : )

The package only seems expensive because Tesla is already including all the driver assists in every car. That is what makes "just the software" seem expensive.

Two additional reasons to buy the package is that you will get some of that money back when you sell your car, and also the self driving will continue to get better over time, and you will get all those enhancements free via OTA updates.

I can understand while some would think it is too expensive for just clicking a button to enable something that is already there, but the total cost for Tesla to provide all those sensors, cameras, software, support and years of improvements is significant.