Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot frustrations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not a current beta tester but an extremely heavy user of autopilot in my 75D 2017 model S. Three of my frustrations --

1. On a four-lane highway with right hand and left hand lane turns, on autopilot at certain locations, the car tends to veer into the left hand turn lane due to a break in the traffic stripe. This does not happen all of the time but nevertheless it is scary to the passengers. If I do nothing to correct the situation, it will eventually correct itself but to anyone following the car is certainly will appear that I may have had too much to drink.

2. This example addresses the situation where I'm traveling on a 2 Lane Rd. and some 50 yards in front of me, a car slows down to make a turn. Considerably before I approach the car Tesla is breaking rather aggressively. My brain is concluding that at current speed the car will have made its turn before I get close to it. In other words, Tesla has no "anticipation", or sufficient logic to carefully slow down providing a little more time and also addressing how much more time the car needs to make the turn. While I appreciate the extra safety Tesla is calculating, it is producing frustration for the cars following.

3. On more hilly roads in this area, especially with bright sunlight in front of the car, Tesla will probably hit the brakes coming over a slight hill. I have come to expect this and am careful and ready to make a correction. But on full self Drive this can be quite dangerous especially at higher speeds and especially in the more mountainous areas of the country.

I am quite anxious to use FSD and have already upgraded the hardware to do so. I would be interested in the comments from current FSD beta testers if the above anomalies have been addressed.

Many thanks for the video. That was very interesting. I would hope that the anomalies mentioned in my post would be taken care of because I could not see how Tesla could label FSD as truly "full self driving" if those still existed in the semi final product. The streets that I am on are not "city" streets. In southeastern Pennsylvania, these are rural two-lane roads up to US Highway 1 which is sometimes a divided four-lane highway. That's the road where the car wants to veer into a left-hand turn lane.

I am very aggressive in allowing Tesla to autopilot on these roads which helps me get more comfortable with the limits of the current software. I am hoping that Tesla releases FSD to a bigger audience shortly.