Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot FSD beta in a few weeks says Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will this improve the standard autopilot as well? I don’t have FSD but have standard AP. Thanks!

In the short run, it's reasonable to assume that as FSD gets better, plain AP would too.

That means if the Autosteer will be better for both up to a point.

Autobrake will be better for both in the short run but I am not sure about the long run.

FSD Autobrake is designed to perform automatically WITHOUT a driver in the seat.

AP Autobrake is designed to perform automatically WITH a driver in the seat. The driver is responsible if there's an accident.

I imagine AP Autosteer will continue to run over potholes, road debris... but FSD Autosteer will be able to automatically steer away from those issues if it's safe to do so...

Reactions: sightman
I’m not holding my breath for this one and definitely would not want to be in the car.

And I’m happy with my fsd purchases.... just saying they got a long way to go and I’m pretty sure they are gonna need lidAr... sooner Elon stops being hard headed about that the better.

If it is in Beta the car owners are the test drivers. Does that mean that the drivers would have to report disengagements to the States they are operating these cars in?

Not as long as the driver attentiveness checks/nags are still turned on. (At least in California that is how it works. I don't know the reporting requirements for other states.)

My guess is... November to get into the hands of Early Access program. Then they find a bunch of issues, which takes 3-4 months to fix/verify. That puts general release sometime in the spring. But that will be beta only (and probably worse than the current AP/NoA until some of the bugs have been ironed out). So probably will be next summer before we have feature parity with existing AP (though with a more solid footing), and next fall before we see new AP features that are trustworthy (but still beta).

But you know what? I'm ok with that. Not cause I'm a fanboy (I try not to be), but because this is bleeding edge tech. And potentially dangerous bleeding edge tech at that. Yeah, missed Elon timelines bug me, and I'm eager to play with the new tech just as much as others here. But I'm ok with Tesla making it solid before it ships. Can you imagine the damage that would be caused it it shipped with major bugs? Ones that make phantom braking look like a walk in the park? The lawsuits? The lost reputation, drop in stock price etc?

Reactions: jbadger
....report disengagements to the States...

As mentioned by @MP3Mike I also only am aware that California is the only state that requires annual Autonomous Vehicle Disengagement reporting.

Originally, Uber didn't like that so they started in Arizona and other states instead.

If a car requires a licensed alert driver to help the car to drive then it's maximumly L2 or partial autonomy, not Autonomous Vehicle.

Thus, in California, any car that is L3 (Conditional Automation that requires no driver's input under specific scenarios such as Audi Traffic Jam Pilot strictly specified for freeways at 37MPH maximum) or above is Autonomous and requires an annual Autonomous Vehicle Disengagement report.

If an Autonomous Vehicle performs so poorly with so many disengagements that requires a human driver, then that's not L3 or above.

I suspect Tesla FSD will still be L2 for a long time that requires a competent human driver at all times and thus, no need to report disengagements because, at the L2, numerous disengagements are expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbadger