Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot functionality for HW2 towards the end of next week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best Christmas news/gift ever! Even a bit late.

Elon Musk on Twitter

upload_2016-12-22_21-16-0.png

Best Christmas news/gift ever! Even a bit late.

Elon Musk on Twitter

View attachment 207318

Might though? :(

I'm super super bummed about Autopilot not working, it really is the main reason I bought a Tesla which is actually being delivered tomorrow, several days early. When I should be super excited about this, I'm more bummed not having a lot of the features that I'm excited about.

I got my MS few weeks ago, and one of the major reasons I got Tesla is because of AP. Frankly, I do not mind not having AP at all, at least for the last few weeks. Just like everyone said, I really enjoy driving the car myself. Not to mention it take me over a week to get used to how to drive the car smoothly. I'm ready for the change, to let the car drive for me, end of next week, hopefully. :)

I've had my S85 for four full years without AP:) it's a 2012 Signature car. TOmorrow afternoon I trade her in on my new S90D. Sure I paid for EAP. and FSD but I expert to drive "manually" for a few more days/weeks. Trust me, the car is pure joy to drive so I genuinely enjoy it! Then when the EAP gets enabled (perhaps in December) it becomes even more fun.

I leave on a 1600 mile road trip 12/28 so yes it would be sweet to have EAP functional (even partly). Otherwise I'll just enjoy the drive as before, but in my new 90D.

I'm super super bummed about Autopilot not working, it really is the main reason I bought a Tesla which is actually being delivered tomorrow, several days early. When I should be super excited about this, I'm more bummed not having a lot of the features that I'm excited about.
You mean like rain sensing wipers, blind spot warning, auto braking.....

Sounds like you're not familiar with Tesla Time.
It seems people who buy a Tesla for reasons other than it being an EV are the ones who are prone to disappointment. Tesla makes a great EV. Everything else is a work in progress.

I do hope you enjoy driving it while you wait for autopilot. It really is fun to drive.

Keep an open mind. I'm a longtime Tesla fan (as are many others here), and I occasionally have to remind myself how amazing it is to drive a Tesla. Drive it. No autopilot. Instant torque, no emissions, no noise, no gas stations. Use the time without AP to get to know the other aspects of your Tesla. I've become spoiled. After 3.5 years I'm accustomed to these features. You're about to get to experience it for the first time.

AP2 will come, and it sounds like much sooner than I expected (I too predicted February for only partial capabilities). It will be amazing, and then you can fall in love again.

Reactions: wesley888
I guess I should have chimed back in here... :)

I LOVE THIS CAR! :D

But seriously, the car is amazing to drive and to be in. The smoothness is unreal, and even though it's not the fastest in the lineup, the instant torque makes it feel much faster than it is. I absolutely love the interior, the screens, the leather everywhere. AP2 will be great for sure, but for most every day driving (I don't drive the freeway very much), I'll be driving manually anyway.

In hindsight, I think I was more bummed about it just not working from a gadget standpoint, not so much from a real world usability standpoint. And it's annoying that everyone asks about the self driving that they heard about, and then having to tell them that yes...but not yet, waiting on a software update. :p

Reactions: wesley888
When I should be super excited about this, I'm more bummed not having a lot of the features that I'm excited about
You are one of the lucky few (relative to all car buyers) who will own the most revolutionary car ever produced. I am optimistic that you can wait a few weeks for the AP features. After 3 years of ownership and 51,000 miles I can assure you that the car is a joy to drive without AP.

My hunch: The first update to AP2 will contain only AP1 functionality.

The rest of the advanced self driving will come in phases over a period of a year.

Atleast that's what I would do, if I were in charge. You validate every step, set the real world feedback mechanism in place and graudually add additional steps. This also keeps the excitement and frenzy going for a year