Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot functionality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how does autopilot work exactly? If I'm driving toward a person or a house or a wall, does the car automatically sense it in automatically stops?

I was told that auto braking is standard and not part of the $2500 AP package. So what are you paying extra for? Blind spot detection? Helping you stay within the lanes on the freeway?

Emergency stop is included on all cars, uses the front radar to detect obstacles, doesn't always work (going down a circling off ramp, for instance).

AP is both traffic aware cruise control that slows down and speeds up to a set speed, taking traffic ahead of you into account. It is also freeway lane keeping, really auto steer, allowing the car to keep you in the lane without steering adjustments from you. You still need to stay alert, but it works well.

Emergency stop is included on all cars, uses the front radar to detect obstacles, doesn't always work (going down a circling off ramp, for instance).

AP is both traffic aware cruise control that slows down and speeds up to a set speed, taking traffic ahead of you into account. It is also freeway lane keeping, really auto steer, allowing the car to keep you in the lane without steering adjustments from you. You still need to stay alert, but it works well.

Is blind spot detection part of AP or is that standard? I usually see it as a light on the side mirrors that pop up when a car is next to you.

The $2500 AP package gets you lane keeping and traffic aware cruise control, plus automatic parallel parking. So essentially you can let the car drive hands free on highways, to some extent.

I believe blind spot detection is standard on newer builds, which also comes with all the AP sensors. But the blind spot detection on tesla displays in dashboard, which is less effective than the standard in the mirror configuration.

Did you check out Tesla's web site? From the design studio: "Autopilot allows Model S to steer within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by using active, traffic-aware cruise control. Your car can also scan for a parking space, alert you when one is available, and parallel park on command."