Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot, FW 7.0, and MX decisions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
For those of you who are/were on the fence about your MX reservations -- how have the recent Autopilot reviews and videos influenced your decision, if at all? Being the owner of a "classic" MS, I have to say that I'm only slightly jealous (but still measurably so) of the new features. I wouldn't replace my MS, but the idea of having the features available for road tripping in my MX certainly make me lean a bit more towards exercising my reservation and placing an order when the time comes.

Just curious if anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation.

I am thinking in your lines as well. I have a classic MS without auto pilot. I want autopilot but at the same time I love my car. I am thinking I will wait till all this confusion settles down on auto pilot and auto pilot is no longer beta version.

I am thinking my next car/suv will be MX with autopilot hardware version 2 which is capable of much better auto pilot features (city driving??)

Yeah, as the Model S kept getting new features I kept thinking: I'll wait on Model X. At this time, I plan to re-enter the Model X queue and hope for a summer delivery (when the first batch has gone through a lot of testing and we have some of the items that didn't make it out in time) and I'll get the features then. No plans to replace my S.

The auto pilot function for me is not something I really want or care about, I love driving and really do not want the car driving itself. Most of the fun I have is being in control and driving the car it is something I have done my whole life and still enjoy it. More of the decision on purchasing the Model X will be how the options play out and what the final cost will be, although this will be my wife's car and I have turned over those decisions to her, so I'm probably in trouble.

For those of you who are/were on the fence about your MX reservations -- how have the recent Autopilot reviews and videos influenced your decision, if at all? Being the owner of a "classic" MS, I have to say that I'm only slightly jealous (but still measurably so) of the new features. I wouldn't replace my MS, but the idea of having the features available for road tripping in my MX certainly make me lean a bit more towards exercising my reservation and placing an order when the time comes.

I am in a very similar frame of mind. But in our case, with a dearly-beloved Roadster, a Signature Model S, and my wife's P85D filling our garage, something has to give. Our Signature still drives really well, and has over 103,000 kms of glorious adventures on it, but if (and only if) when I actually get to see and drive a Model X (with autopilot), if it blows me away, our MX reservation will get used, and the Signature will hopefully land with some really deserving (resource-limited) Canadian, since it is #2 in Canada.

Has the first release of AutoPilot pushed me further down that road? Sure. But I will be watching closely what comes next. It is tempting to try to hold out for the next sensor upgrade, at least rear-facing radar.

So I'm refusing the update to V7 - so far it nags just once a day, manageable, and from what I remember at least in the past people who refused other "upgrades" seemed to report it stops nagging after a week or two.
To me the fact that Model X will come with v7 (at least that's what we all assume, right?) is another major concern. This is the first time in 2.5 years of Tesla ownership that I'm utterly displeased with a change they made. I think the UI is a disaster. And I cannot imagine wanting to show off a car with this UI to friends. More importantly, I can't imagine wanting to drive a car with this UI.
It will all depend on how my wife likes it when we get to test drive the X. We won't confirm the reservation without a test drive, anyway. Now there are just more question marks.

Summary? I think what I've seen of v7 dropped the likelihood of buying Model X another 10 percentage points.

The auto pilot function for me is not something I really want or care about, I love driving and really do not want the car driving itself. Most of the fun I have is being in control and driving the car it is something I have done my whole life and still enjoy it.

Generally, I agree - that's why I mention the fact I'm only slightly jealous. However, there have been long drives on I-5 or other highways where there's little joy in the "driving" experience. At some point on mostly straight highways for hours at a time, you've sort of left actual driving behind. Having the car lane center would be a welcome respite.

To me the fact that Model X will come with v7 (at least that's what we all assume, right?) is another major concern. This is the first time in 2.5 years of Tesla ownership that I'm utterly displeased with a change they made. I think the UI is a disaster. And I cannot imagine wanting to show off a car with this UI to friends. More importantly, I can't imagine wanting to drive a car with this UI.

I am aware of your distaste for the new UI. :wink: However, UI aside; is Autopilot a functionality that you'd find valuable on trips? I am undecided on the UI, and I haven't upgraded my car (yet). But looking forward, I can see where the functionality of Autopilot is going to be pretty compelling. Even if I really disliked the interface, I can imagine a time where the feature set would outweigh it - that's why I ask.

However, UI aside; is Autopilot a functionality that you'd find valuable on trips? I am undecided on the UI, and I haven't upgraded my car (yet). But looking forward, I can see where the functionality of Autopilot is going to be pretty compelling. Even if I really disliked the interface, I can imagine a time where the feature set would outweigh it - that's why I ask.
I said this in other threads, I'll repeat it here. I have zero interest in autopilot. Actually, let's be more accurate. I have negative interest in autopilot. You will see my trying to not drive close to other Teslas as I wonder if they are actually driving their car or are being driven by pre-alpha software. I guess I should start a web site as PSA for kids "If you see a Tesla approaching, step away from the curb".
Yes, that's maybe a bit over the top, but it should make my sentiment clear. Autopilot is a net negative as far as I'm concerned.

Ah, yes. I forgot that you were part of the "avoid AP cars" conversation. Got it. I can see that with the current rev, but I'm a believer that in the future it'll be more safe than human drivers. And I think it'll be here sooner than we all think.

I never buy new cars. I'm of the belief that the sweet spot for buying a car is when it's 2-3 years old. Although AP is a bit novelty at this point, I think it's really cool and I can see myself picking up a used X at some point. The recent reviews make me want it more.

I said this in other threads, I'll repeat it here. I have zero interest in autopilot. Actually, let's be more accurate. I have negative interest in autopilot. You will see my trying to not drive close to other Teslas as I wonder if they are actually driving their car or are being driven by pre-alpha software. I guess I should start a web site as PSA for kids "If you see a Tesla approaching, step away from the curb".

I haven't read your posts in other threads, so I am not sure why you have such a negative opinion on AP.

To be honest, current "AutoPilot" implementation is little more than dynamic cruise control available in most other brands; with the addition ability to change lanes, and maybe a little bit more automation in self parking. So are you against all types of dynamic cruise control? If not, then why just single out Tesla?

Yes, I find my self in the same position. I have a 2012 Model S and have been experiencing a lot of unusual feelings of jealousy over AP. The Model X is going to be my wife's car but will also likely be our main road trip vehicle so I'll get to drive it then.

The Model S will stay around at least until Tesla brings over the ventilated seats and the new front end. Once that happens it's going to be really difficult for me not to upgrade. Yeah, dual motor, AP, new blue, LTE, etc... very tempting.

In the mean time I may upgrade my car to LTE at the January (yearly) service.

I have no Tesla but I am thrilled that AP will be on the delivered MX. If it had not been released, I would have delayed my order.

The current implementation of AP should work well for my style. I value getting there and car rides over the driving process. I hate stop and go 20-30 mph traffic and poor or aggressive drivers. I consider myself an excellent and safety-minded driver -- plan trips well, never weave in and out of traffic, never follow too closely, follow the flow of traffic (not exceeding 10% of speed limit), always signal when turning or changing lanes, and allow others to get in front of me (especially when they signal).

Most Texas drivers get on my nerves.

I haven't read your posts in other threads, so I am not sure why you have such a negative opinion on AP.

To be honest, current "AutoPilot" implementation is little more than dynamic cruise control available in most other brands; with the addition ability to change lanes, and maybe a little bit more automation in self parking. So are you against all types of dynamic cruise control? If not, then why just single out Tesla?
Don't want to rehash ten other threads here - I am worried about all auto-steering implementations. And I'm especially worried about the hype around this one and the likelihood that people will end up lulled into a feeling of complacency and safety when it is anything but. There are clear warnings that this is intended only for freeways. Yet there are tons of posts (and videos) of people using it on surface streets, in busy city traffic, etc. There's a video of someone using it without a driver in the driver seat, just the seatbelt closed to fool the car.
The idea of a moronic owner like this driving down neighborhood streets and hitting pedestrians while enjoying how "cool" and "high tech" their car is... that's what drives my very negative attitude.

So I answered the direct question. But please let's not derail this thread. There are enough threads about how wonderful AP is (or not) elsewhere in this forum. Let's have the conversation there.

Has the first release of AutoPilot pushed me further down that road? Sure. But I will be watching closely what comes next. It is tempting to try to hold out for the next sensor upgrade, at least rear-facing radar.

Same here. We've seen evidence of dual cameras, 360 degree cameras and rear-facing radar on mules. While the dual cameras may not have been stereoscopic, they are most likely the "redundant" cameras that Elon mentioned would be used for the next generation of autonomous autopilot.

I would like to hold out for the next generation of sensors but if the right inventory or CPO deal comes along, I could settle for that.

I wasn't on the fence as I had already config'd my sig X and had a inventory P85D to replace my totaled roadster. For me, and after driving the Model S with AP, I am even more stoked to get the X with the same features. It really is wonderful and takes some fatigue out of driving.

about those with negative attitudes, I am not sure how to address your concerns but until you try it, you will see there is still user input. With the thought they went with the new UI, it allows you to see and monitor the car.

I think Tesla and their engineers did a great job. You can never remove the "stupid" out of people, but that isn't a reason to totally discount a technology or product. The acts of a few people that might cause problems, shouldn't determine people decision on the car or more specifically the X. I think it makes it even more of a plus.

Same here. We've seen evidence of dual cameras, 360 degree cameras and rear-facing radar on mules. While the dual cameras may not have been stereoscopic, they are most likely the "redundant" cameras that Elon mentioned would be used for the next generation of autonomous autopilot.

Interestingly, you cannot see the front radar on the launch MX cars (or at least I couldn't).

If that means that Tesla have managed to find a way of hiding it in the bumper without compromising either the radar or the bumper then it is entirely possible that the car has more than one radar.

It should have been geo-fenced, but Tesla probably decided not to so they could collect more data while assuming no legal risk (although receiving very real reputation risk). If they wanted to, they could have programmed autopilot to shut off when it sees a clear traffic light or stop sign. Really they should have at a minimum programmed the car to potentially emergency stop when it recognizes that it is zooming up to a stop-light or red light because as it stands right now, a car could very easily veer of the highway off ramp and t-bone a car at highway speeds. Having said all of this. The entire fleet can collect more data in a day than Tesla Motors could do in a month on their own, and it is still the best system out there.

The one thing I am most disappointed in is that the Model X didn't launch with 360 cameras which performs the task of being a much safer car in the parking lot and also collects a huge amount of data for intersections for future autopilot 2.0 implementation. Autopilot is still a few years away (when EyeQ4 launches basically), but it's clear that launch Model Xs won't be Autopilot 2.0 capable even with a chip-set upgrade which is a small bummer. Most cars at Tesla's price range have the 360 camera now.

My 2 cents...

I really really want AP, it would be worth the price of "downgrading" to v7. Will it come in a Model X or Model S? Reserving judgment on the X until I've driven it and seen the final non-Sig price tag, but it would have to be pretty darn good to compete with an AP-enabled CPO Model S to serve as the family's second Tesla.

We updated and although I still believe the autopilot dashboard should be on the 17 inch display, i am amazed at how well it (autopilot) works. The first time my wife drove the car to try out autopilot, I asked her what she thought of the new dashboard and she asked what had changed. I got a good laugh at that and then I started trying to just live with it and get back to enjoying the car.

So I'm refusing the update to V7 - so far it nags just once a day, manageable, and from what I remember at least in the past people who refused other "upgrades" seemed to report it stops nagging after a week or two.
It will all depend on how my wife likes it when we get to test drive the X. We won't confirm the reservation without a test drive, anyway. Now there are just more question marks.

Summary? I think what I've seen of v7 dropped the likelihood of buying Model X another 10 percentage points.