Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot gets closer to cars as you drive by them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scenario - You're in the left-most lane, cruising along. The car drives a bit to the right of the center of the lane (the opposite of how I drive, I get a bit closer to the left of the lane). But as I approach a vehicle who is in the middle lane (just to the right of my lane) the car inexplicably and constantly gets CLOSER to the car. It moves to the right. It's really disconcerting.

Are others experiencing this behavior?

It feels the same way to me but may be just an illusion, perhaps have someone sit in the passenger seat and see what they think from that view. I do agree that if there is a shoulder then it'd be better to be closer to the left side of the lane.

Scenario - You're in the left-most lane, cruising along. The car drives a bit to the right of the center of the lane (the opposite of how I drive, I get a bit closer to the left of the lane). But as I approach a vehicle who is in the middle lane (just to the right of my lane) the car inexplicably and constantly gets CLOSER to the car. It moves to the right. It's really disconcerting.

Are others experiencing this behavior?

Sounds like an illusion. Most people don't use cruise control at all, anytime I've tried to teach them how, they think the car is accelerating too much going uphill. The reality is however they they were used to slowing down uphill, and now the computer maintains speed.

I have experienced the sensation, watched the instruments and thought about it. My conclusion is as others above: Most of us unconsciously move to the outside of the lane when passing, but autopilot does not (yet). It usually holds the dead-centre of the lane, and hence is noticeably closer to passed or passing traffic than we are all used to. This is certainly something they could adjust, since the ultrasonics can measure the distance and bias the lane-holding position a little.

This is particularly noticeable on sweeping curves. Again, most of us tend to hug the inside of the curve, either properly at the apex, or improperly throughout the curve. This results in being further from the adjacent lane on right-hand turns (for drive-on-the-right countries). Again, AutoPilot does not (yet) do this, and so it can feel like you are unnerving close to the other lane, but if you watch the display on the IC, the car thinks it is well-centred in the lane.

Musk has said a few times now that AP will favor the side of the lane away from objects in outside the lane or intruding into the lane. And if that occurs from both sides will balance distance between them both. So I would expect this is coming.

Scenario - You're in the left-most lane, cruising along. The car drives a bit to the right of the center of the lane (the opposite of how I drive, I get a bit closer to the left of the lane).

When I first got autopilot I also thought that the car tended to drive a bit right of center. After carefully reviewing video footage (it is especially clear when you bring up the rear view camera), it has become very clear to me that the car really drives pretty much dead center and that I normally drive a bit left of center. I think this is common, because I notice most other cars on the road actually tend to ride left of center too. I assume this is related to the driver's seat being on that side.

I've never experienced that other behavior you describe, although I do find that when the car remains dead center and there is a large vehicle in the middle lane it makes me uncomfortable. The car will certainly veer towards the edge of the lane on curves, but I've never noticed it to more towards other vehicles and I do watch it very carefully.

It is true. I wonder why? example, a semi approach me on the left, and when we are parallel, AP moves me closer to the semi, not an illusion because it shows on the IC.

Probably different modes. Autopilot seems to prefer to track cars rather than lane markings. The vehicle tracking mode is probably setting a minimum safe distance from the other vehicle as the safest way to proceed.

I've noticed the issue as well. My suspicion is that AP's tolerance for "too close" is a bit lower than us average drivers. I've intervened out of discomfort once or twice. I let it do it's thing - ready to take over instantly - on another occasion and it ultimately pulled away from the other vehicle, but it definitely felt uncomfortably close. This is particularly disconcerting when you are in a curve and there is another car on your outside lane.