Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot getting worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed any difference with how the car handles stop and go traffic? When I test drove an M3 previously (I don't recall which software version it was running for sure, I want to say it was 2019.36.x.x), it seemed to stop and start more smoothly than mine currently does. Mine seems to wait pretty late to brake, and then also take longer than I'd expect to start moving again once traffic starts moving as well, almost to the point I'm concerned someone is going to beep at me for thinking that I'm not paying attention.

It has been the history of the AP that as new capability is added, it gets jittery for a while and then subsequent updates smooth it out. I've seen several cycles of this. The phantom braking is there because of the drivers who keep running into police cars and fire engines and the attempt to prevent that. The radar TACC is causing that as the video AI is not able to do it yet.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
It has been the history of the AP that as new capability is added, it gets jittery for a while and then subsequent updates smooth it out. I've seen several cycles of this. The phantom braking is there because of the drivers who keep running into police cars and fire engines and the attempt to prevent that. The radar TACC is causing that as the video AI is not able to do it yet.
Ah, gotcha. I'm new, so still learning the way of things :) I'll continue to monitor it, and try to use AP when I can to keep an eye on it!

yeah since 40.2.1 the sun really messes with my front camera and it throws up the red hands all the time. I frequently get camera blinded errors and parking sensors obstructed errors while driving with rain or snow.
I did notice this today as well. When I rolled up into the parking lot at work it started complaining the front camera was blocked. It looks like it the windshield might have started fogging up again by the time I got to work. Is the defrost for the front radar/camera controlled by the rear defrost or the front defrost?

Ah, gotcha. I'm new, so still learning the way of things :) I'll continue to monitor it, and try to use AP when I can to keep an eye on it!

I did notice this today as well. When I rolled up into the parking lot at work it started complaining the front camera was blocked. It looks like it the windshield might have started fogging up again by the time I got to work. Is the defrost for the front radar/camera controlled by the rear defrost or the front defrost?

AHA. The camera defrost is controlled by the car. Usually successfully. 2 days ago, the defrost on my front camera stopped working. Phone support couldn't find anything wrong, but a vehicle shutdown/restart (go to the service menu I think) appeared to fix the problem.

Mine is also terrible now. Wanders in the lane from side to side. Today on the highway a truck passed me on the left and the AP moved my car to the right side of my lane (still in the lane though).
I've noticed that too. It might be a feature–giving room to wider vehicles? It does consistently happen with larger vehicles passing, so I think it's a feature. Odd it wasn't in the patch notes, though.

The car will deliberately move over a little and hug on side of the lane to avoid being too close to large vehicles. It is a feature not a bug. People used to complain that AP would stay dead center in the lane which would sometimes put the car too close for comfort when a large semi truck was in the adjacent lane right next to you. So now the car moves over to give the large vehicle more space.

I've noticed that too. It might be a feature–giving room to wider vehicles? It does consistently happen with larger vehicles passing, so I think it's a feature. Odd it wasn't in the patch notes, though.
Not all changes are listed in the notes. They do usually mention bug fixes and other minor items. The highway lane wandering comes and goes with updates. Read the threads about the updates and be alert. Never do updates away from home or if you have to use the car right away. In rare instances the updates fail and the car is inop for awhile.

AP stopped slowing down for a tight bend on 2019.40.2.1, it used to drop the speed by almost 10 mph entering into the curve, now it just attempts to go through full speed every day.
Yeah. It was like the curve-speed-limiter went from overly cautious, to not cautious enough. I bet within a version or two the curve-speed-limiter will work perfectly in almost all situations. But this version puts me into oncoming traffic lanes twice during my commute if I don't slow it down (or over-ride steering).

I don't believe we control the camera defrost, it's automated. My windshield is perfectly clean without any fogging but the sun beaming down on the car obstructs the front camera frequently.

yeah since 40.2.1 the sun really messes with my front camera and it throws up the red hands all the time. I frequently get camera blinded errors and parking sensors obstructed errors while driving with rain or snow.
I too have noticed this, but attributed it to a dirty windshield. I don't know if it's 40.x or the recent weather. But that is the only thing I've noticed since being on 40.x. No ping-ponging here.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Another cool thing is it reacted to a dead car on the highway shoulder that was overhanging the line by maybe 6 inches just a few mins ago.
I've confirmed that it also moves away from a stationary vehicle on the shoulder (not intruding into lane). Really cool.

I too have noticed this, but attributed it to a dirty windshield.
Regarding the red hands in direct sunlight, I washed my car last night, and this happened to me this morning when I was driving directly into a very low sun. I was having trouble blocking the sun out of my eyes, and then AP decided it couldn't see well enough either. I was hoping it would be a little more robust than me... oh, well, maybe it will get there over time.

I feel the same way, but I guess most drivers feel more comfortable not being so close to such a large vehicle.

Doesn't really matter the size of vehicle.

Not only does moving right give both vehicles more space, it's a helpful signal of passivity, that reassures the overtaker that you're not about to accelerate and prevent the pass. It's a nudge that can also help encourage a reluctant tailgater on a 2-lane highway.

But, out of curiosity, does anybody with the update have any experience in a snowy area? If there's light snow and bare tire tracks, it shouldn't move over.