Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Gripe (and not what you think)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I leave home I have about 4 miles of winding 30mph roads. I turn on the autopilot and the car drives the whole route without me touching the steering wheel (maybe once).

I then get on the motorway and put on the autopilot and hold the wheel because I still don't trust the car at 70mph, but because the road is fairly straight it nags me every few seconds to turn the wheel even when the road is straight and I am actually holding the wheel and paying attention.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I think that a winding 30mph should nag way more than a straight 70mph?

Grrrrrrr :)

It may be speed related, but it may also be that the car does not feel the grip on the steering wheel, but instead it feels resistance to turning. On a windy road, if you are holding the steering wheel, the car will probably feel some resistance each time it tries to turn the steering wheel and therefore won’t nag. But on a straight road, it might not notice that you are holding the steering wheel. When I hold the steering wheel, I let gravity pull down on my arms a little (putting a slight torque on the steering wheel), and I am never nagged.

As I leave home I have about 4 miles of winding 30mph roads. I turn on the autopilot and the car drives the whole route without me touching the steering wheel (maybe once).

I then get on the motorway and put on the autopilot and hold the wheel because I still don't trust the car at 70mph, but because the road is fairly straight it nags me every few seconds to turn the wheel even when the road is straight and I am actually holding the wheel and paying attention.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I think that a winding 30mph should nag way more than a straight 70mph?

Grrrrrrr :)
First, you are always the driver and responsible for the car. Hands not on wheel may not allow you to be in control

The nag is a distance controlled feature. Going 70 will make it occur twice as fast as 35.
The car is looking for torque, so be sure to add rotational force, it takes a little to get used to.

Most people feel much more comfortable with the Autopilot at 70 than 35. More specifically, limited access roads where conditions are better controlled.

The nag, I think, has a "good boy" component. If you have been good, it trusts you for longer.

If you are getting nagged on the road slot, the you aren't applying the correct torque.

Thats my point, on a straight piece of road, where you don't actually have to apply torque to control the car, it shouldn't be asking for the steering wheel movements as much IMHO

Just rest your hand at 7 o’clock on the steering wheel and you won’t get the nag.

I think this is better than the GM eye monitor method because you can instantly feel if the car is doing something unexpected and you can quickly correct the issue.

Reactions: SilverGS