TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Autopilot Has Been Improving on AP1 Vehicles Too

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by jackbowers, Jul 26, 2017.

1. jackbowers

jackbowers Jack Bowers

As an AP1 Model X owner, I didn’t expect Autopilot to evolve much over the last 12 months. Tesla software engineers had their hands full writing code for AP2 vehicles, so i figured Autopilot updates for AP1 vehicles would simply enter a dormant phase. That certainly did not turn out to be the case! While...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Like x 3
  2. ModelIII

ModelIII Member

Yes 1.0 is improving. Thanks for the accelerator pedal tap hint!

• Like x 1
  3. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

"... the 'Hold Steering Wheel'... became more frequent on two-lane highways, and began appearing very frequently in construction zones (triggered by either cones or construction warning signs). They even became somewhat driver-dependent (when fatigued or distracted I would get them much more often)."

How could the car possibly know if you're fatigued or distracted?

• Like x 1
  4. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Or this, "Autopilot is now more willing to corner aggressively (at least on dry roads)…".
    How could AP know whether the road is dry or wet?

• Like x 1
  5. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

#5 kavyboy, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    It always seemed like AP would disengage more easily when the windshield wipers were on. I could be imagining it, though.

6. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

AP1 does seem to be improving. My Model S seems less likely to try to take exits and lane changes seem more confident and reliable. It also seems to be doing a better job "seeing" lane lines where the markings are not great or broken up although I am always extra cautious in those situations. It cannot handle two-lane roads with sharp curves and I am not sure it will ever get there but it is fantastic on the freeway and many two lane highways.

• Like x 1
  7. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I have had very good luck with two-lane roads, as long as there are no hills. I always use this stretch of FM1488 to test what the latest version is like. It handles it well. The speed limit is 55, so AP1 does 60 and slows down nicely for the curves, staying within its lane, and not taking the side roads even when that would be the straightest path (such as westbound at Nelson Road).

• Helpful x 1
  8. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

I will have to look for a flat road with curves and see if the hills are what are creating the challenge. I have a curvy road nearby with a 45 mph speed limit and my AP1 car cannot handle the curves even at 40 mph. It is hilly but the portions where AP1 has trouble are not at the top of hills where I would imagine visibility would be a problem. But it could be the combination of sharp curves and hills that are too much for it to handle.

9. Tampert

Tampert Member

It is indeed silk smooth. BUT auto speed limiting/adjustment is totally worthless in Europe on not interstates or highways. about 60% of the time is uses the wrong allowed speed. E.g. it will drive 30km/h at a 80km/h road. Or 50 or 60 km/h on a 80km/r road.
    Very often at matrix signs above the road, it will not detect the allowed speed. E.g. at a 130km/h road with a 70km/h matrix sign it will drive 130km/h.
    Please Tesla offer us a option to disable this bad auto speed function.

10. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

Can't say I've noticed any huge improvements.
    The X seems better over hilltops than the S. Probably because of higher camera placement (but the very flat area where the camera is placed results in the rain sensor underestimating the amount of water on the windscreen as it's less rain there due to the angle than in the drivers sight of view.

I would still crash if I try using AP on two lane roads (one lane each direction).
    And on highways - the change lane function still changes lane way too fast so it's uncomfortable.

What I hoped had improved by now is more smooth acceleration/braking, fleet learning to react correctly where the road markings are not perfect, better control of speed limits, predictive adjustments (I.e. React to brakeligts 1-2 cars ahead). Actually - the acceleration/braking is the most irritating. It reacts too late and too brute.

Personally I'm disappointed by AP1. I think it works ok, and I would pay for it over again. But it could be so incredible good if they just fixed some of the unnecessary flaws.

• Like x 1
  11. zmarty

zmarty Member

I have no doubt AP1 is improving overall. However, I am skeptical of a lot of the improvements mentioned in the article. They seem wishful thinking / placebo. The author is giving way too much credit to AP1 capabilities.

• Like x 3
  12. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

I find that if AP1 has lower confidence it takes less (or even "very little") torque on the steering wheel to take over.

So perhaps in rain the AP1 confidence is lower, and thus disengages more easily, and thus perhaps that is the effect you have seen?

13. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

Yep, that's what I always assumed. It's sort of hard to tell, though. I do know that in torrential southeast Texas downpours with the wipers on full, when the lanes and other cars are clearly visible and even clearly indicated on the IC, AP won't be available at all. That's pretty unambiguous. Driving at night also seems to have an affect.

14. napabill

napabill Active Member

I've often wondered if the speed of lane changes is to get the change over with quickly before the situation changes.

• Like x 1
  15. Petbro1

Petbro1 New Member

16. Petbro1

Petbro1 New Member

I would agree with your braking comment AP1 brakes very late when coming up behind cars stopped at a red light or stop sign. I tend to override and break for my own comfort, and more often with passengers, and then re-engage autopilot as I approach the vehicles in line.

17. David29

David29 Member

I am not quite as impressed by the changes in AP1 as the OP seems to be. Personally, I doubt some of his comments, such as the idea that AP remembers where you have "overridden" a speed reduction. I have seen no previous mention of the idea that the AP function would remember such things.
    But since the OP has driven such an incredibly large amount, probably 10 times what I have, I defer to his greater knowledge. I hope it is all true, although I have my doubts and my own experience is not quite so uniformly positive.

18. Trouthooked

Trouthooked Member

I feel like AP1 is actually getting worse. I just did a 2,500 mile trip and I finally had to turn it off. If I was driving on the outside lane..as one is supposed to do on the long highway stretches...when I came upon an exit or lost the right lane marker (as in an entrance ramp), the car would would pull hard right into the unknown space. Had I not taken over and jerked the car back left, it would have rammed me into the exit sign or off the highway altogether. This happened about 85% of the time I had AP on and was in the right lane. This did not used to happen. It is extremely frustrating and dangerous. How hard is it to program the damn car to hold straight and operate off the line it does have if it loses one. But instead, the car jerks and wobbles around like a ping pong ball. AP was better 2 yrs ago.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  19. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Mt. Rose Highway is my favorite road to drive in the Tesla. I don't usually do it with AP since it's much more fun to drive manually.
    My test for AP1 evolving is the section of I80 between Truckee and Reno. The steep winding high speed curves (especially around Floriston and Farad) are a test of nerves but have gradually improved over the past year.
    Thanks for this comprehensive article.

20. MSR

MSR Member

Lane changes with AP on firmware version 17.26.76 are definitely worse. When making a lane change, the car always overshoots the center almost all the way to the opposite lane divider, then slowly recenters itself, all while the dash display accurately reflects this.

• Informative x 1