Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Autopilot Has Been Improving on AP1 Vehicles Too

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an AP1 Model X owner, I didn’t expect Autopilot to evolve much over the last 12 months. Tesla software engineers had their hands full writing code for AP2 vehicles, so I figured Autopilot updates for AP1 vehicles would simply enter a dormant phase. That certainly did not turn out to be the case! While racking up some 30k Autopilot miles over the last 12 months, I experienced a continuing stream of improvements.

First off, the “Hold Steering Wheel” alerts began disappearing on long, straight stretches of divided lane freeways – sometimes for as long a 50 miles at a stretch. But the alerts became more frequent on two-lane highways, and began appearing very frequently in construction zones (triggered by either cones or construction warning signs). They even became somewhat driver-dependent (when fatigued or distracted I would get them much more often). More recently, they now sometimes appear ahead of highway intersections, and when oncoming traffic appears on a two-lane highway.

Camera vision has steadily improved. AP1 originally got tripped up by faded stripes, by glare on wet roads, when driving into the sun, and on rainy nights. Improvements in the camera’s dynamic range have continued to take place, and the software’s ability to discern lane markings through glare, water, and dirt has dramatically improved in the last year. About six months ago, on a rainy late-night freeway trip, I noticed that Autopilot can now track the lane stripes better than I can when there is headlight glare from oncoming traffic.

Autopilot’s early tendency to slow down too much or too abruptly when cornering has also seen big improvement. Originally, the camera would read the recommended cornering speed on a highway or freeway, and Autopilot would reduce the vehicle’s set speed by the difference between the speed limit and the cornering speed. And if it encountered cornering Gs that were too high, it would slow abruptly. The first problem got solved by an update that allows Autopilot to track the cornering speed of actual drivers, allowing it to take precedence over the posted cornering speed. I discovered that tapping the accelerator briefly as Autopilot begins to slow for a corner will override the slowdown, so I played around with that over a curvy 50-mile stretch of freeway. Several weeks later when I driving the same route, Autopilot remembered the corners that had overrides, and maintained its speed setting. More recently, the over-reaction to cornering Gs saw a big improvement. Autopilot is now more willing to corner aggressively (at least on dry roads), and when it does reach its acceleration limit, the reaction is not as abrupt.

Holding an appropriate position within the lane during corners has also gotten a lot better. Starting about a year ago, Autopilot began hugging the inside track as human drivers do through corners (this can sometimes be a bit unnerving if there’s a truck in the next lane over, but on the whole it feels more natural). Autopilot also developed a better grasp on the lane positions of other vehicles during the cornering process, leading to fewer false braking events.

A few weeks ago, another big cornering improvement occurred, allowing Autopilot to handle even sharper corners. I decided to see how good it was on the Reno side of the Mt. Rose Highway, a super-curvy road that climbs 4000 feet over 12 miles. This road has several corners marked at 20 mph, and the posted speed limit is 45 mph. But even when you stick to that limit the cornering G-forces can be relatively high. For several years I’ve tried in vain to train Autopilot on this road, a process that generates dozens of overrides, carries the risk of being pulled over for a sobriety test, and requires a firm grip with two hands on the wheel. So imagine my surprise when Autopilot handled 90% of the course with relative ease. I still go a little slower than I’d like around the 20 mph corners, but so do many other drivers on that road.

AP.jpg
Like other Tesla drivers, I found “Radar 2.0” to be a cool feature. One time coming out of a mountain pass in heavy fog, the car ahead of me remained visible on the dash, even as it got obscured watching through the windshield. I’ve felt more comfortable having a radar-driven emergency braking system, though my wife found the occasional false-braking events to be very annoying. But over the last few months it seemed like the false braking events largely disappeared. At times I wondered if the radar’s emergency braking role had been diminished.

Those concerns were put to rest two weeks ago while I was commuting home on old 395 just south of Reno. Shortly after using Autopilot’s lane-change feature to get around a slow-moving vehicle, Autopilot slowed the vehicle abruptly just as it was returning to the right-hand lane. The lane was clear as far as I could see (at least 250 yards), so I began to override the slowdown by pressing down on the accelerator. Then suddenly, I was seeing a large obstacle that the radar already knew about. An empty 30-foot-long trailer – visually obscured by trees – was lurking just around the bend, and it was blocking the right lane entirely. I had just enough time to swerve into the left lane and miss it. Without Autopilot’s reaction, I might have plowed into it at a relatively high rate of speed. Thank you Tesla software engineers!

Jack Bowers has more than 240,000 Tesla miles driven, including two cross-country trips. He is the publisher of Fidelity Monitor & Insight (a DIY investment newsletter) and an investment strategist for two affiliated advisory firms.

Photo: Mt. Rose Highway/Google Maps

Last edited by a moderator:

I know this is a long response, but I want to point out, I’m still happy with AP 1. on longer road trips out of my state, AP gets magically better. To the point I ask myself why can’t the cars AP work like this all the time! Something about this specific area drives the car nuts.

Interesting. I wonder how much of people's impressions on AP1 improvements has to do with where they regularly drive it. I love it in SoCal traffic mid-day, but early morning rush hour drivers are aggressive enough that they can trip it up. It's great on the 101 in and out of SF, but the ramps near the city itself are so crazy that I usually do that part manually.

I bought and use my AP1 MS mainly for road trips and since I work from home I don't have any kind of regular commute to deal with. As a result AP1 has driven something like 25k of the 28k miles on my car over the last 18 months and while not every single AP behavior has improved over that time my overall sense is that it's dramatically better today than it was 6 months, 12 months, 18 months ago.

Reactions: EinSV
Definitely location dependent. My trust level has gone down for some MD roads, up for other states. Try 95 up and down the east coast. Works near perfectly from about Springfield VA, to Myrtle beach, SC or on down to Orlando,FL. Works great 83 north to Harrisburg, even construction areas with poor or no lane markings. Tesla AP uses the concrete divider to position pretty well with no lane markings . Even during heavy snowfall, the radar was doing a great job in PA. But 7.x used to work great on the 495 DC beltway northwest sides with the old lane centering behavior on the curvy highway. First drive home was heavy rainfall, and 7.x was perfect, when I could hardly see the road lines. The newer linehugging behavior is white knuckles. Definitely unusable in rain now. AP doesn’t leave itself a buffer to correct drift and reaquire the lane markings. Scares other drivers, can’t decide which side to hug going into the next curve and frequently drifts out of the lanes, magnetically pulls too close to trailers, confused by which lane is the car in front, etc. On rt 50to ocean city, it chases exit lanes. 8.x also seems to buzz way more about merge lanes than 7 did. Driving rt 66 West, perfect AP experience. NJ, AP seemed to work just fine. Except for the random braking. In northern VA we call those Phantom accidents. Rush hour drivers get so used to an accident prone area, they break for phantom accidents.

Oh, and something new happened in 8.x, AP1 is now scared of police cars who are tailgating! Easily reproducible on rt 70 western MD, I’ve driven a few loaner cars both S and X on that route. State troopers have really bad eyesight and ADHD I’m convinced. they will fly up behind you at about 120mph or higher to brake within 20 feet or less, and the tesla starts freaking out like a paranoid teenager. No alerts beyond “hold the wheel”, which I’m already doing or occasional distance line on the rear sensor. Bouncing back and forth between the lines like a Drunk driver until the cop backs off and goes around. Occasionally the car will swerve towards the cop as he passes, which is when I yank over control. I’ve also experienced the car will slow down 2-3mph, with nothing in front while being tailgated. I know the lead foot cops are just interested to see what type of car it is. There has been 5 or 6 times on AP cruise, I didn’t notice the next cop tailgating, and confused why the car started acting like a drunk driver. Now I know. It’s either the specific cop driving behavior or the special radio equipment they have on board. AP does not do this when being tailgated by regular cars.

I agree AP1 is improving.

Things I've noticed.
(1) I live near US Route 1 in Northeast MA. Around here US1 is a two- and sometimes four- lane undivided highway. AP1 recently stopped limiting autosteer to speedlimit + 5 on Route 1. That's generally appropriate, but not in some places. Route 1 has its share of knuckleheads, so driver care is important.

(2) It used to be that cars turning right from the shoulder of two-lane roads were perceived as obstacles by AP1, causing braking. That behavior has improved.

(3) AP1 is, just recently, handling freeway offramps slightly better. In New England, the joke is that our freeway ramp plans were drawn with french curves, not compasses. Their radius of curvature changes continuously, usually getting tighter and tighter when exiting. It seems like AP1 is better at detecting the bogey--the vehicle ahead--under those circumstances, and doing the right thing.

I love this AP1. It reduces my driver workload a LOT. Still, I think any driver using AP should take the time to watch this 20-year-old video by an American Airlines pilot. It's called "Children of Magenta". (Magenta is the color a flight-planning computer uses to show the route it intends for its airplane.) Children of Magenta

Things I've noticed.
(1) I live near US Route 1 in Northeast MA. Around here US1 is a two- and sometimes four- lane undivided highway. AP1 recently stopped limiting autosteer to speedlimit + 5 on Route 1. That's generally appropriate, but not in some places. Route 1 has its share of knuckleheads, so driver care is important.

(2) It used to be that cars turning right from the shoulder of two-lane roads were perceived as obstacles by AP1, causing braking. That behavior has improved.

(3) AP1 is, just recently, handling freeway offramps slightly better. In New England, the joke is that our freeway ramp plans were drawn with french curves, not compasses. Their radius of curvature changes continuously, usually getting tighter and tighter when exiting. It seems like AP1 is better at detecting the bogey--the vehicle ahead--under those circumstances, and doing the right thing.

I love this AP1. It reduces my driver workload a LOT. Still, I think any driver using AP should take the time to watch this 20-year-old video by an American Airlines pilot. It's called "Children of Magenta". (Magenta is the color a flight-planning computer uses to show the route it intends for its airplane.) Children of Magenta

Wow, that's a great video. I doubt that many autopilot users are going to watch it, or even if they did if they'd be able to take the lessons from it and use them productively. But it's a great framework for understanding human machine interaction in these driver assistance systems.

I upgraded my car to get AP2 six months ago (just after I last posted to this thread) and AP2 has been noticeably flawed that whole time, which has made it really easy to be aware of the limits of the automation and keep my attention focused on appropriately using, and not overusing it. But I got 2018.10.4 last week and it's so good that I think I'm going to have to become more methodical about developing good use habits. Because it would be really easy to completely zone out with a system that's so close to perfect - and I don't want my discovery of it's imperfections to be at the last moment before some catastrophe.

Things I've noticed.

Good video, if that link doesn't work for someone use
- https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN41LvuSz10

Good video, if that link doesn't work for someone use
- https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN41LvuSz10

I'm with Jimmy. As an engineer and long lapsed private pilot, I could more or less follow the video, but I think it's too deep and too technical to expect of the average driver, and the direct, literal point of the video doesn't really apply to AP anyway.

In the video, the main focus is that when you have a problem, you need to drop down to simpler control schemes because it takes too long to update the more advanced systems.

Autopilot only accepts three kinds of inputs at the moment - speed setting, following distance, and please change lanes now - all done with dedicated control stalks that are right under my fingers.

So I won't be doing any complicated data entry tasks to fix AP behavior (maybe in the future of the car is driving itself based on navigation directions that will change.)

The secondary point from the video - pay attention to where the airplane is, and take over if you see a problem coming instead of trying to figure out why the airplane isn't doing what you expected - is much more relevant and important.

The problem is, it's a thirty second clip from the late middle of a much longer video that I expect most folks will get bored with long before they get there - and they may not realize that's the important and applicable past when it shows up in the middle of the rest.

In the video, the main focus is that when you have a problem, you need to drop down to simpler control schemes because it takes too long to update the more advanced systems.

When you say it like that it makes me think you missed the point of "click, click, click, click". Maybe you didn't watch the whole thing because he said "click, click, click, click" something like 4 or 5 times pantomiming the operation of turning it all off in a commercial jet (you wouldn't have to turn it off 4 ways in a small private plane).

His main thing was if sugar goes south you turn off autopilot and ALL assistive devices and fly manually. Don't try and figure out how to make autopilot happy, just turn it off and act like it doesn't work because if you rely on autopilot you might be dead because of it.

So no, don't "drop down to simpler control schemes", do "turn it all off and fly yourself". "Be the ball".

When you say it like that it makes me think you missed the point of "click, click, click, click". Maybe you didn't watch the whole thing because he said "click, click, click, click" something like 4 or 5 times pantomiming the operation of turning it all off in a commercial jet (you wouldn't have to turn it off 4 ways in a small private plane).

His main thing was if sugar goes south you turn off autopilot and ALL assistive devices and fly manually. Don't try and figure out how to make autopilot happy, just turn it off and act like it doesn't work because if you rely on autopilot you might be dead because of it.

So no, don't "drop down to simpler control schemes", do "turn it all off and fly yourself". "Be the ball".

Yes, his main thing was if things change suddenly, fly the plane manually rather than trying to update all the information to let the flight director fly the plane. There's virtually no information I can update on my Tesla, and all of it is controlled with simple levers close at hand.

Hence the "trying to update the flight director" central argument doesn't really apply IMHO.

I've been concerned lately by my behavior using radar assisted cruise control when I drive my Prius Prime. Instead of using the brake and go pedals to make quick changes, I try to figure out how to adapt the cruise control. I suspect that in the event of an emergency my first response is going to be to fiddle with the assist feature rather than drive the car.

I can see how it is easy and insidious to slowly give up primary decision making and car control to the assist functions. This notion of always being aware and ready to take over as the driver is easier said than done. Not only do the assist functions slowly change my driving habits, I are also lulled into a less attentive state.

Definitely a double-edged sword; it is going to take effort and discipline to use them wisely.

Last edited:

Things I've noticed.

(2) It used to be that cars turning right from the shoulder of two-lane roads were perceived as obstacles by AP1, causing braking. That behavior has improved. ...

I am not so sure about that. or perhaps you have a later set of firmware. (I am on 2018.6.1) Suddenly in the last week or so, on a road I drive frequently (I-93 northbound between the I-95 merge and Rte 138 in Canton), my car will brake and drastically reduce speed when i ask AP to shift one lane to the right as i climb the hill from I-95 to Rte 138. it acts as if there is something in front of us when there is nothing. I have experienced this every time I have driven that length of road in the past few days, and it is both unnecessary and disconcerting. I have to disable the AP each time, because the car rapidly becomes an obstacle in the road as my speed drops below surrounding traffic. What is weird is that my last software update was March 1, and I do not think this new behavior started that long ago. Strange.

Autopilot update 10.4 for AP1

"Autopilot update 10.4 now moves over for vehicles along the side of the road or partially in the roadway. AP1 owners who were thinking Ap1 wouldn't see improvements...Here you go!"

It has actually done this for a few updates. These improments are so gradual they’re easily missed.

Here’s another improvement I have just noticed. When lanes on a highway fork, flicking the turn signal left or right will cause ap to track the left or right fork. This is decidedly different than lane change. The blue lane lines never go dashed, and the lane selection is immediate.

For a while I thought I was just selectively noticing the behavior I wanted to see, but I ran a few intentional tests and, sure enough, that’s what it does.

As of June 18, 2018 I have noticed in the past week or two that Ap-1 in my 2016 Model S ( VIN
152854) is MORE PICKEY than it used to be. Recently I have been locked out of AP twice on my way from home to downtown Houston, about 40 miles) on I-45, south. I used to go from freeway entry to exit with zero or on warning. Now even when using two hands and applying the usual micro-torque rhythm I get locked out. I am the kind of driver (77 years old may have something to do with it) who gets in the second to the left lane, sets cruise to five over, and engages AP-1 and sits back and relaxes while keeping a sharp lookout for idiots. This used to provide really relaxing trip.

Has the recent software upgrade made AP-1 more pickey or am I just a crazy old coot?

As of June 18, 2018 I have noticed in the past week or two that Ap-1 in my 2016 Model S ( VIN
152854) is MORE PICKEY than it used to be. Recently I have been locked out of AP twice on my way from home to downtown Houston, about 40 miles) on I-45, south. I used to go from freeway entry to exit with zero or on warning. Now even when using two hands and applying the usual micro-torque rhythm I get locked out. I am the kind of driver (77 years old may have something to do with it) who gets in the second to the left lane, sets cruise to five over, and engages AP-1 and sits back and relaxes while keeping a sharp lookout for idiots. This used to provide really relaxing trip.

Has the recent software upgrade made AP-1 more pickey or am I just a crazy old coot?

2018.21.9 made big changes - supposed to be a much shorter counter, but also supposed to require less wheel torque to reset. There are several threads on the subject already, assuming that's the firmware you're on. That's a piece of information that'd be really helpful to include. :)