TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot help!

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by tadrekiakn, Apr 28, 2018.

1. tadrekiakn

tadrekiakn New Member

Hi there,

Could someone help me understand how the Autopilot system controls the vehicle. Since I thought the cameras were linked into the CANbus but it doesn't seem like that is the case. Is it the massive screen inside that controls how the autopilot works including taking all the images from the sensors and then controlling the vehicle that way...

I'm doing my dissertation on it and can't find anywhere of a link between the cameras and the CAN bus. if there is any at all. There is nothing on how the system is controlled other than the basic crap on the internet about cameras.

2. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

There is a thread here somewhere. There are a handful of seperate CAN busses on the car. The center screen is out if the picture, it can be rebooted while driving.

I think this was one of them -

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/let-the-hacking-begin-model-s-parts-on-the-bench.58951

Lots of reading here.

There are threads on AP1 vs AP2.0 as well. Control shifted from the camera unit to the nvidia supercomputer behind the glove box. Google search is your friend.

3. tadrekiakn

tadrekiakn New Member

Do you know how the super computer takes control of the vehicle? Obviously there isnt much information on this. I keep getting trapped with those pathetic news articles on the vehicle.

4. tadrekiakn

tadrekiakn New Member

What systems does the super computer control and how does it control them? if someone could help that would be amazing

5. croman

croman Active Member

Do you want the answers or a source? Do you want someone to write your dissertation? The answer lies across many threads on this site.

The APE is the gateway. CID is just the display. The IC also displays processed information.

There is a lunitiks thread that explains the wiring.

• Like x 2
  6. croman

croman Active Member

• Like x 1
  7. tadrekiakn

tadrekiakn New Member

I'd been searching for ages on this thank you very much, hit a brick wall, it wasn't writing the dissertation i Just couldn't figure out how it worked, i had a very good idea on it just no specifics exactly