Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot hold mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
So I just had something kind of unusual happen. I was driving with autopilot engaged on a secondary road (at the speed limit plus 5, of course) when I came up to a red light. The car in front of me slowed down and stopped at the light and autopilot stopped my car right behind it. As I was sitting at the light I noticed that my instrument panel had the word “HOLD” in blue letters directly above the speed. The blue autopilot steering wheel indicator was still lit, so autopilot was engaged.

About the time I noticed this and thought to myself “I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before” the light turned green and the car in front of me moved forward and my car stayed right where it was. There was traffic behind me, so I wanted to start moving, so I hit the accelerator. The word “HOLD” disappeared and the car started moving. It appeared that autopilot was still engaged, so I let go of the pedal and autopilot continued driving normally.

I hit several more red lights during this trip with autopilot engaged and never saw the word “HOLD” appear again. At one point I thought maybe that I hit the brake after I had stopped and maybe that put it in “hold” mode, but I tried that at another light and as soon as I hit the brake it disengaged autopilot.

Has anyone else seen anything like that? This is an AP1 car with 17.24.28.

Hold has been around a while. If memory serves, it occurs in one of two scenarios commonly:
1) Already using TACC/AP and come to stop behind vehicle and Tesla decides there is another thing that crossed its forward view - seen it happen when stopped for bike lane-splitting, pedestrian crossing in front, etc
2) When engaging TACC/AP while already stopped behind a vehicle.

This used to VERY rarely happen (think few times a year), though has happened twice for me on .28 /AP1 already.

Also, now had TWO AEB, "red car of panic" phantom occurrences.

I have yet to notice an improvement on .28, only these issues so far

• Informative
Reactions: ABC2D
Hold mode has existed since day one. I'd go cut and paste the manual for you, but I assume you're able to do that.

You’re right. It is in the manual. Imagine that.

IMG_0028.jpg