TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot HW 3

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by Pale_Rider, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

10 times faster than the current hardware, drop in compatible with existing cars. Now when will it be available to us? Lol

2. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

And will every car get it as a free update when released... Hmmm...

3. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

I’m assuming only the folks who already bought FSD. Probably why they recently increased the after delivery price...

• Informative x 2
  4. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Member

It won't just be a faster computer system, they will include extra sensors and maybe some self cleaning.

Perhaps a new charging system that is easy for an automated docking. That ridiculous snake thing was never going to be practical.

5. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

Well, current owners can expect a computer swap, doubt we get anything else unless FSD is not functional with only a computer swap...

6. alpinebum1

alpinebum1 Member

I doubt they will upgrade the CPU on existing vehicles unless FSD was purchased. I also agree with the earlier comment regarding this being tied to the increased FSD post-delivery price. I find it pretty sweet that this is computer swap thing is even an option. Nobody else does this kind of thing.

7. Snuffysasa

Snuffysasa Member

I want to know when Autopilot v9 software update comes out, will @jimmy_d and others still be able to get access to the internal firmware and break down what they see such as the neural networks and other information?

• Like x 1
  8. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Member

That's the other possibility, they downgrade FSD to meet the limitations of their hardware. The promised "summon from the other side of the country" is never going to happen and I expect they will require a qualified human driver ready to take over. They will probably drop being able to go off and self-park too.

9. jimmy_d

jimmy_d Deep Learning Dork

Based on past experience I think there's a good chance someone will send me V9 to look at. As to what I can get out of it - that'll depend on how much they change their tools and data formats. I'm hopeful, but it's getting harder over time.

• Like x 8
  10. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

I love birdies :)

• Like x 1
  11. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Member

That's very interesting. Presumably they wouldn't be doing the hardware upgrade unless they were really sure that they could get FSD working on it, but Musk said FSD itself is years away. So maybe they are going to do something like level 3 in the mean time.

Maybe there is some other reason, like cost reduction, for making the switch on new vehicles with old ones only being upgraded when they finally get FSD working.

• Helpful x 1
  12. Sonic_78

Sonic_78 Member

So “on ramp to off ramp” (EAP) is doable on the current hardware. But, unable to handle further FSD options? I hope EAP still encompasses true on ramp to off ramp autonomy.

It’s like EAP provides highway autonomy and FSD is surface street autonomy.

13. Frizull

Frizull Member

And anything FSD won't be available for another 6 months and will require HW3.

Am I reading this correctly? Elon Musk on Twitter

14. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Limited access highways don't deal with traffic control signals, intersections, cross or oncoming traffic, pedestrians, trolleys, crosswalks, parked cars, bicyclists, driveways, or other surface street type things. Much less complex NN.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Citation needed.

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Not true on the traffic control signals.
    - Some busy limited-access highways have special speed control for rushes.
    - New Brunswick has railroad crossings on some highways.

17. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

I see my "limited access" caveat was not strong/ specific enough ;)
    Level 3 (sort of 4 maybe) mostly self guiding in specific situations.
    Highways with only on and off ramps then.
    :)

• Informative x 1
  18. Kuro68k

Kuro68k Member

Well if it doesn't have that stuff then they can't deliver FSD. Remember that it has to drive from coast to coast by itself, recharging and handling common situations like adverse weather and dirt.

19. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

I think all of the info we have today is clear as mud.

What I would say is that they may not require new hardware because they continue to rely on nags and humans to be always in control. This is because EAP doesn't say "with no interaction from driver" anywhere for EAP. Meaning that they don't have to make EAP on/off ramp perfect but good enough. humans are always in control of the vehicle whether there are nags or not. We will know more in September. For fsd, human expected to go away (not initially of course), hence the added processing power to replace the human operator.

• Like x 1