Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot HW 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It won't just be a faster computer system, they will include extra sensors and maybe some self cleaning.

Perhaps a new charging system that is easy for an automated docking. That ridiculous snake thing was never going to be practical.

I doubt they will upgrade the CPU on existing vehicles unless FSD was purchased. I also agree with the earlier comment regarding this being tied to the increased FSD post-delivery price. I find it pretty sweet that this is computer swap thing is even an option. Nobody else does this kind of thing.

Well, current owners can expect a computer swap, doubt we get anything else unless FSD is not functional with only a computer swap...

That's the other possibility, they downgrade FSD to meet the limitations of their hardware. The promised "summon from the other side of the country" is never going to happen and I expect they will require a qualified human driver ready to take over. They will probably drop being able to go off and self-park too.

4-6 months availability.

That's very interesting. Presumably they wouldn't be doing the hardware upgrade unless they were really sure that they could get FSD working on it, but Musk said FSD itself is years away. So maybe they are going to do something like level 3 in the mean time.

Maybe there is some other reason, like cost reduction, for making the switch on new vehicles with old ones only being upgraded when they finally get FSD working.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
So “on ramp to off ramp” (EAP) is doable on the current hardware. But, unable to handle further FSD options? I hope EAP still encompasses true on ramp to off ramp autonomy.

It’s like EAP provides highway autonomy and FSD is surface street autonomy.

So “on ramp to off ramp” (EAP) is doable on the current hardware. But, unable to handle further FSD options? I hope EAP still encompasses true on ramp to off ramp autonomy.

Limited access highways don't deal with traffic control signals, intersections, cross or oncoming traffic, pedestrians, trolleys, crosswalks, parked cars, bicyclists, driveways, or other surface street type things. Much less complex NN.

Limited access highways don't deal with traffic control signals, intersections, cross or oncoming traffic, pedestrians, trolleys, crosswalks, parked cars, bicyclists, driveways, or other surface street type things. Much less complex NN.

Not true on the traffic control signals.
- Some busy limited-access highways have special speed control for rushes.
- New Brunswick has railroad crossings on some highways.

Not true on the traffic control signals.
- Some busy limited-access highways have special speed control for rushes.
- New Brunswick has railroad crossings on some highways.

I see my "limited access" caveat was not strong/ specific enough ;)
Level 3 (sort of 4 maybe) mostly self guiding in specific situations.
Highways with only on and off ramps then.
:)

• Informative
Reactions: Sonic_78

I think all of the info we have today is clear as mud.

What I would say is that they may not require new hardware because they continue to rely on nags and humans to be always in control. This is because EAP doesn't say "with no interaction from driver" anywhere for EAP. Meaning that they don't have to make EAP on/off ramp perfect but good enough. humans are always in control of the vehicle whether there are nags or not. We will know more in September. For fsd, human expected to go away (not initially of course), hence the added processing power to replace the human operator.

Reactions: Sonic_78