Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot improvement in "MarioKart Rainbow Road" firmware update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the newest firmware update yesterday (the one where you can click autopilot 4 times to get the rainbow psychedelic road Elon tweeted about).

One thing I have noticed is that the car in autopilot behaves a lot better, similar to the original autopilot update, driving closer to the center of the road rather than "hugging" the right side. I was not a big fan of that update that changed the driving pattern of autopilot as it seemed like it was way too close to cars on the right.

Also when I signaled to change lanes, when it made the lane change, it felt like it was actually going to overshoot and go into the next lane beyond (and rarely felt comfortable if there was a vehicle two lanes to the right of me when I made that change (often had to grip steering wheel and sort of correct it).

So far so good with this latest update as it seems to make lane changes appropriately and shoot for the center of the lane with so far no incidences of overshooting. Hope they continue to keep it like this.

Just got the newest firmware update yesterday (the one where you can click autopilot 4 times to get the rainbow psychedelic road Elon tweeted about).

One thing I have noticed is that the car in autopilot behaves a lot better, similar to the original autopilot update, driving closer to the center of the road rather than "hugging" the right side. I was not a big fan of that update that changed the driving pattern of autopilot as it seemed like it was way too close to cars on the right.

Also when I signaled to change lanes, when it made the lane change, it felt like it was actually going to overshoot and go into the next lane beyond (and rarely felt comfortable if there was a vehicle two lanes to the right of me when I made that change (often had to grip steering wheel and sort of correct it).

So far so good with this latest update as it seems to make lane changes appropriately and shoot for the center of the lane with so far no incidences of overshooting. Hope they continue to keep it like this.
As a soon-to-be MS AP owner, YIPPIE! :)

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
What version are you coming from? The lane bias has been fixed for awhile (one of the intermediate 7.1 versions fixed it--but not this one).

As for the overshooting lane change, I've never observed that behavior on 7.1 at all.

I'm not sure what my firmware version was before this, but it was pretty updated (had probably 3 update notices since they added the summon feature). Up until this last one, it seemed like it still had the right side lane bias and with it the overshooting when changing lanes (it really never really overshot the lane, but if there was a car next to you it almost felt like you were about to play bumper cars (I was suprised the sensors on the side didn't kick in and tell it to stop (maybe they would have but by that time I manually overrode it because I didn't trust it to do so)

Funnily enough, my experience is the other way round - AP feels more nervous now, and also the right-lane-stickiness seems to be worse with the latest update.

And you are positive you have the latest firmware update (the one with the rainbow road trick?). I just got mine updated yesterday so it is pretty new I think.

on a funny note: I had read about the rainbow road easter egg on a webpage a few days before I got the actual update and I kept trying it on my autopilot and it didn't work, and I was thinking it was a practical joke and they got me good.

I am sorry, what is the "rainbow road trick" you guys are referring to? I do have the latest updates which came two days ago

There is an easter egg that Elon Musk tweeted about a few days ago. If you do have the latest firmware update (and you have to have autopilot), you engage this easter egg by first doing autopilot as you would normally (pull stalk 2x toward you). Once engage, you then pull it 4x rapidly towards you. It plays some music and the road all of a sudden looks a rainbow. To disengage it pull 4x fast again.

Hope that helps :)

• Love
Reactions: Todd Burch
Got the new update last night. AP doesn't seem to be changed at all... it behaves just as it always has for me. Kinda skittish sometimes, other times rock solid. I wouldn't know there was an update if the car hadn't told me.

Still won't summon over my garage lip.

Reactions: Majerus
One thing I have noticed is that the car in autopilot behaves a lot better, similar to the original autopilot update.
Every time I see something like this I chuckle... The definition of better being used is that it is more like it was before they messed with it. Just reinforces that I've made the right choice staying on 7.0, Autopilot works gorgeously, and without all the added restrictions. No complaints with it at all.

Every time I see something like this I chuckle... The definition of better being used is that it is more like it was before they messed with it. Just reinforces that I've made the right choice staying on 7.0, Autopilot works gorgeously, and without all the added restrictions. No complaints with it at all.

Except that with the exception of the occasional nag, it's an order of magnitude better than 7.0. Better contrast in low contrast situations, doesn't take turnoffs, smoother TACC, straighter through intersections, better on curves, better on hills, more centered in the lanes, etc...

I don't know how anyone could think 7.0 was better. It's not even close.

Except that with the exception of the occasional nag, it's an order of magnitude better than 7.0. Better contrast in low contrast situations, doesn't take turnoffs, smoother TACC, straighter through intersections, better on curves, better on hills, more centered in the lanes, etc...

I don't know how anyone could think 7.0 was better. It's not even close.
I'll remember how inferior my ap is next time I'm doing 100km/hr on autopilot on a road the car doesn't know the speed limit on (which is most roads) that alone is worth far more to me than any possible improvement they could ever implement, including all the way to full autonomy.
As for your other improvements, haven't noticed a problem with any of those, so I'm not inclined to fix what isn't broken.

green1 - stay on 7.0 - I would go back in an instant if I could.