Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot improvement in "MarioKart Rainbow Road" firmware update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except that with the exception of the occasional nag, it's an order of magnitude better than 7.0. Better contrast in low contrast situations, doesn't take turnoffs, smoother TACC, straighter through intersections, better on curves, better on hills, more centered in the lanes, etc...

I don't know how anyone could think 7.0 was better. It's not even close.

Maybe the premature exits issue was resolved server side and doesn't affect 7.0 owners as it used to originally? I would love to go back to 7.0. The nag just pisses me off.

Didn't 7.1 bring auto perpendicular park? That was way worth it for me!

It's a nifty parlor trick, but it takes wayy too long to park. I can have the car parked and be halfway to inside before it starts it's second point of the turn.

Anyway, I agree the nag is just incredibly annoying. It happens WAY too often and makes it almost more trouble than it's worth.

• Disagree
Reactions: Edmond
Didn't 7.1 bring auto perpendicular park? That was way worth it for me!

Do you regularly use it? I tried it a couple times, and while slow it was still pretty cool. But, it's so hard to get it to pop up that I never use it when it could be useful.

It would be useful now that I'm down to one working arm. Somehow I managed to crash my Mountain bike, and now my right collar-bone/clavicle is fractured. I can park, but even slow auto park would be nice.

Except that with the exception of the occasional nag, it's an order of magnitude better than 7.0. Better contrast in low contrast situations, doesn't take turnoffs, smoother TACC, straighter through intersections, better on curves, better on hills, more centered in the lanes, etc...

I don't know how anyone could think 7.0 was better. It's not even close.

I totally agree. The only limitation is a 5MPH limit on undivided highways. Very reasonable to me. When I want to go faster, I just rest my foot on the go pedal. I rarely need to. Everything works just fine and it is a magnitude better in self driving than 7.0. Especially on undivided, curvy roads.

I totally agree. The only limitation is a 5MPH limit on undivided highways. Very reasonable to me. When I want to go faster, I just rest my foot on the go pedal. I rarely need to. Everything works just fine and it is a magnitude better in self driving than 7.0. Especially on undivided, curvy roads.
I don't consider a limit of 10km/hr over an imaginary speed limit that it doesn't know to be acceptable in ANY situation. If the car had any clue what the speed limits were on any of the roads around here, maybe, but it doesn't, and I like using AP. And don't talk about manually putting your foot on the accelerator to stay in AP mode, that's worse than old school cruise control!

As for "order of magnitude better", not a chance. AP 7.0 is flawless for me. it doesn't dive for exits, it doesn't have trouble in intersections, it handles curves perfectly, has never had an issue on hills, and stays centred in the lane. In short, it drives perfectly at whatever speed I set it at regardless of the road type, and it never nags me except for sharp bends in the road, or if it actually can't see the road markings (and it can seem them better than I can most times)

To be an "order of magnitude better" I'd have to be able to crawl in the back and go to sleep.

7.1 is an incredibly major step backwards in AP functionality, and I will never allow Tesla to take away the functionality I have now.

Reactions: davidc18
Has anyone been able to access the Rainbow Road in their Model S? Elon said, "Activate autopilot 4X in quick succession for psychedelic cowbell road." It doesn't work for me and I did the latest software download this week.
Yes, I love it. At first, I thought the colors were too much, but now I really enjoy them. I do not like the sound at all, however, even though it only lasts for a few seconds. I would like an option to engage the visual rainbow road but not have to hear the cowbell. Have tweeted Elon about that. We'll see...

Reactions: Nevek
While TACC has improved markedly over the past year, I haven't seen the same in the half year AS(teer) has been in general release. It's all over the place yet.

Best case for AP 2.0 (hardware) is about 1.5 years from now. That said, we're supposed to get red light and stop
sign recognition this year.

Doesn't 7.0 still try to take every right exit? If so, I would never want that again. It has been so nice not worrying about that these past 5 months.
No. It doesn't. Though that's possibly because where I live the lanes are generally painted such that you'd have to cross a dashed line to do so.
Even if it did though, having to watch for that would still be a less frequent "nag" than they introduced in 7.1, and that's before we even look at the ridiculous speed limit that would usually be significantly below the real speed limit.

So they say we'll get stop sign recognition, but we still haven't gotten any of the things they promised at the D event. Things like hands free on ramp to off ramp driving. Or the ability to summon the car and have it meet us at our front door on private property.

There is one specific turn near myself that autopilot has not been able to do - essentially changing elevation, arcing left, and middle lane splitting into two Ramps. Can't get it right 7.0, initial 7.1. I always take over on this turn. With this update- so far every time- it completes this section without intervention. It is jerky in choosing the right path, but gets it every time.

Has anyone been able to access the Rainbow Road in their Model S? Elon said, "Activate autopilot 4X in quick succession for psychedelic cowbell road." It doesn't work for me and I did the latest software download this week.
There may be some subtlety involved in activating it. My wife couldn't, but it worked for me. There may be a picky definition of "quick" and "in succession". Cute as this may be, I sure hope they didn't spend appreciable time on it, as opposed to the myriad issues raised throughout these forums.

Yes, I love it. At first, I thought the colors were too much, but now I really enjoy them. I do not like the sound at all, however, even though it only lasts for a few seconds. I would like an option to engage the visual rainbow road but not have to hear the cowbell. Have tweeted Elon about that. We'll see...
I agree, it would be good to keep the visuals, perhaps toned down a notch, and lose the soundtrack. I'd like it as a optional persistent feature without having to pull on the cruise control lever an extra 4 times.

As someone else noted, it can be easy to forget when lane keeping is disengaged. And the visual "cowbell" really explores the dash space!

So I may have spoken a bit soon. I did a couple of auto lane changes on way home from work and again this morning and experienced the "near overshoot" into the lane beyond the lane I was going into. I actually called Tesla and they started a case. Sent in a picture and a short clip video of the event (the one I taped wasn't even as bad as one instance where I did feel it crossed over into the next lane before correcting). Will keep you updated as they update me. Apparently the Tesla tech said another person called and reported the same problem and this was the only 2 instances he knew of.

Attaching a pic where it shows where the car goes to at the end of an autolane change before correcting itself a bit later and going back to center

Attachments

• Autolane.jpg
    Autolane.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 101
Just got the newest firmware update yesterday (the one where you can click autopilot 4 times to get the rainbow psychedelic road Elon tweeted about).

One thing I have noticed is that the car in autopilot behaves a lot better, similar to the original autopilot update, driving closer to the center of the road rather than "hugging" the right side. I was not a big fan of that update that changed the driving pattern of autopilot as it seemed like it was way too close to cars on the right.

Also when I signaled to change lanes, when it made the lane change, it felt like it was actually going to overshoot and go into the next lane beyond (and rarely felt comfortable if there was a vehicle two lanes to the right of me when I made that change (often had to grip steering wheel and sort of correct it).

So far so good with this latest update as it seems to make lane changes appropriately and shoot for the center of the lane with so far no incidences of overshooting. Hope they continue to keep it like this.

I agree with the right side hug you mentioned. Got my car 2 weeks ago and AP was hugging the right side like crazy. Family members who I let test drive the car felt the same way. I thought my sensors in the car were off. Good they tweaked that. I will say though this morning, my car did not stay in the lane during a slight curve left and veered over past and through the right side over the lane reflectors and into the next lane during heavy traffic. There was no car to my right but there was diagonally in front and behind me in the right lane. It was not comfortable to see that happen.