Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot in Houston Texas & Surrounding Area’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jones1

🤘🏼Texas,MYP,12kw/3PW’s Tesla Elect/Just Energy
Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2021
Atascocita , Tx
I haven’t seen a thread for Autopilot in The Houston Area. I have recently picked up my MYP 2022. I did notice how Autopilot applies the brake lightly. When I’m on a two way - 2 lane road. When there is a section or median of grass in between the two directional lanes. It isn’t a hard brake at all. It just seems like a unnecessary brake. So far on the Beltway or on 69/59 N traveling South or North. Autopilot appears to work flawlessly. I drove to work and back home. I would say I’m Autopilot about 75 percent of the drive. Well the ride. Has anyone noticed any bad spots or area’s in the City. Or even the outskirts that creates problems for autopilot or FSD?

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I use it quite often in my MYP and the only freak out I’ve seen is at Jones Rd and Grant Rd intersection. Splits from two to three lanes in the intersection.
Ok the two lane two way road I was on. While noticing AP slowing me down for no apparent reason was a newly expanded road. It did have construction cones up but they were at least half a mile away. This was on Woodland Hills Atascocita right before Will Clayton. Going north.

I haven’t seen a thread for Autopilot in The Houston Area. I have recently picked up my MYP 2022. I did notice how Autopilot applies the brake lightly. When I’m on a two way - 2 lane road. When there is a section or median of grass in between the two directional lanes. It isn’t a hard brake at all. It just seems like a unnecessary brake. So far on the Beltway or on 69/59 N traveling South or North. Autopilot appears to work flawlessly. I drove to work and back home. I would say I’m Autopilot about 75 percent of the drive. Well the ride. Has anyone noticed any bad spots or area’s in the City. Or even the outskirts that creates problems for autopilot or FSD?
Navigate on autopilot messes up when I try and go through a lot of the tool booths on the belt way. For the booths located near 290 and beltway 8, going both ways, it always wants me to get into the far right lane.

Reactions: TJ21CT and Jones1
Thanks for starting the thread @Jones1.
I'm curious - is this in reference to autopilot (which is tesla's version of adaptive cruise control) or full self driving?
Yes it is. Autopilot and FSD if you have it. I have not used FSD or purchased it. I will be taking a road trip next month. I will pay for the subscription. Then I will report back.
Welcome.

Reactions: TJ21CT
Navigate on autopilot messes up when I try and go through a lot of the tool booths on the belt way. For the booths located near 290 and beltway 8, going both ways, it always wants me to get into the far right lane.
I haven’t tried a Toll Both yet. Just the entrance and exit EZ tag ramps. Thanks. Good info.

Drove it to work on Autopilot this morning (on I-10) and it worked great. I keep my knee pressed near the bottom left of the steering when I get the alert to adjust the steering wheel. Haven't had any phantom braking...so far.
I was wondering at first. Why the screen would turn blue at the top by the Speedometer. 😆
Now I know it’s a warning to hold the wheel.

Reactions: diep89
I just noticed. On the Beltway heading west. Before 45N. I was in the middle lane. I was ahead of a vehicle that was entering on the ramp to the beltway. Autopilot slowed me down from 70 miles per hour to about 60. It wasn’t alarming. Just very noticeable. No one was to close behind me.

Yesterday on the way home. On 288 north. A truck swerved into my lane and autopilot pushed me out of the way avoiding what could of been an accident. It’s definitely on par. With my wife’s Toyota with lane assistance.

Reactions: diep89
I just ran my radar detector 12v wire to the back of the model Y. I had purchased an extender cable. 25 feet. 😆. It’s a little too long. But it works.
1653509389570.jpeg

1653509410207.jpeg

1653509428226.jpeg

FYI

Ok. I’ve just discovered. I could be wrong. It’s only been a few minutes. Because the car doesn’t go to a sleep mode. If sentry mode is on.

Yes. You will have to turn the radar off. It stays on in both outlets. I’ve been using my radar plugged into the center console for a few days. I was thinking it turned off. When I walked away. 😆
It doesn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ21CT