Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot in Houston Texas & Surrounding Area’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s a 12v in the console in case you didn’t know.
Yes. But then I would have to take apart the center console to hide the cord. Or have it hang out. That’s what I was doing prior. Now I don’t see the cord. It’s hidden under my seat and door trim. And my radar is out of the view of my center windshield. I hate seeing cord’s. I’m 😜

• Funny
Reactions: TJ21CT
Phantom breaking on autopilot on 288 South just underneath 610, then again just underneath the Beltway and once more right before 2234.

I would pass on subscribing to autopilot until they release the new, beta version to all of the fleet. Many threads her on that subject and the reviews are all bad for those not on the recent version.

Reactions: Jones1
Phantom breaking on autopilot on 288 South just underneath 610, then again just underneath the Beltway and once more right before 2234.

I would pass on subscribing to autopilot until they release the new, beta version to all of the fleet. Many threads her on that subject and the reviews are all bad for those not on the recent version.
I’ve only traveled 288 North and South. Inside the loop. Medical center area. I‘ve only noticed problems on 2 way 2 lane roads. AP is too cautious. Slows down when it may see oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the road. I will watch out for those locations. Thanks

Been predominantly driving 290 and 99 between Cypress and Katy. No issues with phantom breaking with the exception of legitimate "unknowns" (aka driver in next lane drifting past center lane). Have found phantom breaking more frequent when using on non-highway streets due to increased caution. Still waiting for fsd to kick in. Sounds like Elon just lowered the requirement to safety score of 95. Finding it hard to get about 96 on highways with everyone cutting me off and getting dinged for following distance....

Been predominantly driving 290 and 99 between Cypress and Katy. No issues with phantom breaking with the exception of legitimate "unknowns" (aka driver in next lane drifting past center lane). Have found phantom breaking more frequent when using on non-highway streets due to increased caution. Still waiting for fsd to kick in. Sounds like Elon just lowered the requirement to safety score of 95. Finding it hard to get about 96 on highways with everyone cutting me off and getting dinged for following distance....
I agree. On city streets. I have noticed the Vehicle will slow down. For no real risk. I’ve noticed the more I Drive on Autopilot. In rush hour. My safety score has increased. I’m currently at a 98. When I’m on autopilot and I get cut off. Autopilot does a great job of seeing and avoiding the accident. Before I can react. Eve RH now and then. I will take it off Autopilot. When I see someone riding to close behind. So I can avoid a hit in the rear. On 288 going North. Right before 59 north entrance ramp. The lanes aren’t painted well. A couple of times Autopilot gets confused. I can tell by the was the line’s. On the left of the Screen. Will jump back and forward. So I usually disengage AP. When I get to the ramp or split. Then put it back on. When I get on 59N. AP does a great job on the feeder’s. It makes me wish I had gotten FSD or Pay the subscription fee. I would love for AP to stop at red lights. Now for me. It will only stop I believe if a vehicle is in front of me.

I pulled the $6000 trigger. I upgraded to EAP. I was going to wait for a monthly plan. Maybe $99 if Tesla roles it out. I decided to go for it. Tesla or Elon is a little unpredictable. YOLO pressure kicked in. I don’t regret it one bit. It’s amazing. Let me start with Summon. I love parking my MYP close to the garage interior wall. Then I squeeze of my Y. When it’s time to get in now. Every time I use summon to reverse the Y out of my garage. It works pretty quick. Maybe because I’m on WiFi or close to the Y. I thought would be a delay. Not at all. I tried the Parking feature at work. I love it. I won’t probably use the feature at work. Since I park away from any other vehicles.
Navigate on Autopilot. My god. I didn’t even think about switching lane’s. It’s amazing to set your Course like I’m James T Kirk. Then the Tesla moves me in the right direction. If Traffic is bad. It waits to switch lanes. I do nothing but accept and stay tentative. I have notice any problems with it yet.

Autopilot on 288S going towards Pearland. Right under the 610loop. I did notice a couple of weeks ago. That I had some phantom breaking. But I will call it Over Cautious Slow Down’s. OCSD for short. I experienced OSCD at the loop ant around the Beltway before 518. No reason at all for it. I believe the 610 area had shadows of the over pass. Someone mentioned those area’s to me on the thread earlier. They were right. It happened not times. I haven’t had any trouble on the Beltway toll lanes it works and doesn’t slow down or gets confused. I believe the driver need to be responsible. Keep your eyes on the road. Mostly and relax. But stay tentative. It’s a Computer that is man made. Man makes mistakes and computers will too.

I pulled the $6000 trigger. I upgraded to EAP. I was going to wait for a monthly plan. Maybe $99 if Tesla roles it out. I decided to go for it. Tesla or Elon is a little unpredictable. YOLO pressure kicked in. I don’t regret it one bit. It’s amazing. Let me start with Summon. I love parking my MYP close to the garage interior wall. Then I squeeze of my Y. When it’s time to get in now. Every time I use summon to reverse the Y out of my garage. It works pretty quick. Maybe because I’m on WiFi or close to the Y. I thought would be a delay. Not at all. I tried the Parking feature at work. I love it. I won’t probably use the feature at work. Since I park away from any other vehicles.
Navigate on Autopilot. My god. I didn’t even think about switching lane’s. It’s amazing to set your Course like I’m James T Kirk. Then the Tesla moves me in the right direction. If Traffic is bad. It waits to switch lanes. I do nothing but accept and stay tentative. I have notice any problems with it yet.

Autopilot on 288S going towards Pearland. Right under the 610loop. I did notice a couple of weeks ago. That I had some phantom breaking. But I will call it Over Cautious Slow Down’s. OCSD for short. I experienced OSCD at the loop ant around the Beltway before 518. No reason at all for it. I believe the 610 area had shadows of the over pass. Someone mentioned those area’s to me on the thread earlier. They were right. It happened not times. I haven’t had any trouble on the Beltway toll lanes it works and doesn’t slow down or gets confused. I believe the driver need to be responsible. Keep your eyes on the road. Mostly and relax. But stay tentative. It’s a Computer that is man made. Man makes mistakes and computers will too.
Did you get any option or info on how much it would cost to upgrade from the $6k EAP to FSD in the future, I'm guessing another $6k? We just came back from a trip in my wife's 2022 Model Y LR with FSD from Houston to LA and back and we've had several phantom braking on the highway. The sudden braking will scare you and people behind you and it would force our dog to fall off the back seat. I just stopped using autopilot most of the trip. I'm hoping this last OTA software update will fix the phantom braking. Getting FSD now is only worth it to lock in the price before Elon keeps raising it and/or if you plan to keep the Tesla for a long time since you don't get the full value back when you sell it or trade it in. Also drivers with FSD trying to get into the BETA with the required safety score is really hard, especially for owners living in a big city, too many aggressive and road rage people with no patience.

Did you get any option or info on how much it would cost to upgrade from the $6k EAP to FSD in the future, I'm guessing another $6k? We just came back from a trip in my wife's 2022 Model Y LR with FSD from Houston to LA and back and we've had several phantom braking on the highway. The sudden braking will scare you and people behind you and it would force our dog to fall off the back seat. I just stopped using autopilot most of the trip. I'm hoping this last OTA software update will fix the phantom braking. Getting FSD now is only worth it to lock in the price before Elon keeps raising it and/or if you plan to keep the Tesla for a long time since you don't get the full value back when you sell it or trade it in. Also drivers with FSD trying to get into the BETA with the required safety score is really hard, especially for owners living in a big city, too many aggressive and road rage people with no patience.
6K for EAP. Then you get the option for FSD at 6K. The subscription fee drops down to $99 for FSD from $199.

Reactions: EIon MusI<
Is the Phantom Braking slamming on the Brake or slowing down?

I experienced it. In those locations. Thanks for the heads up. It wasn’t a shocking slam on the brakes. But the vehicle did slow down from 65 to 55mph.

It's a quick slowing down enough that it can cause someone following close to rear end you. It seems to not happen in active cruise control, just in autopilot on the highway.
Yes. I do get nervous when people are following to close behind me. When I’m in my Tesla or my wife’s Toyota. The forward collision warning. Is very helpful for vehicles in front of you. For vehicles behind you it’s a little risky. I have turned AP off. If I saw a vehicle riding my bumper. I usually change lane’s. So I can feel more comfortable. Then I put the vehicle back into AP or Toyota Adaptive cruise. Toyota doesn’t have anything close to AP. But you will get a random slowdown or if a vehicle comes into your lane. It will shift your over or brake. I think all of the ADAS’s are like this.

Drove to Austin today. EAP performed well. I only had trouble. On I10 we’re the construction zone was. West of Katy. Past before Columbus. It’s been a while before I made a trip west. I was surprised how much construction I10 had. Other than that. I held the wheel. I used summon once. We came out of a restaurant in Austin a few hours ago. I had parked away from everyone. That didn’t stop the ICE vehicle from getting next to me. Too close. Over the line. I told my wife. Hold up. I got this. No. Tesla had it. Move the Y up and out of the way of the ICE’er. It was great. I had a few slow downs. Over Cautious Driving (OCDS). Never was there a Slamming of the brake’s. Thank god.

Just got back from Austin(Texafornia). Wow Elon has SuperChargers everywhere. Hopefully Houston can get to that level. We need about 6-10 more spread out from 99 on in to downtown. EAP was Amazing. I only used summon a couple of times. Just to move the Y out from people that parked to close to me. I saved about $110 in gas cost vs SuperChargering. Austin outskirts has a lot of new or remodeling construction on highway’s and Toll roads. Well new to me. No real Phantom braking. Just confused directions from the maps. A lot of (unnamed roads) road names. I see Austin is trying to improve their roads. Since so many people have moved to Texas in the last 5 years.

Reactions: TJ21CT
Chill Mode. WTF. I rather have Track Mode. Chill Mode felt like I was driving a Chevy Cavalier or any Chevy anything really. I didn’t notice an increase in range. Maybe I didn’t drive in chill mode that long. Has anyone seen increased range using Chill Mode?

I think the breaking at 288 South and the Beltway is because the car thinks you are on the feeder road due to the way they re-routed those lanes when adding the HOV lanes. I think I recall seeing the speed limit drop on the screen when driving through there. I always have my foot on the accelerator when going through there.