Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot in the Fog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone played with AP in bad (<50m visibility) fog yet? Anything interesting to pass on? I'm assuming there might be a point where the cameras can still lock on the lane markings sufficently to allow AP to work and the RADAR is well capable of penetrating fog... but what would the U/S transducers make of it? Not enough range to be bothered? Just intrigued! MW

Has anyone played with AP in bad (<50m visibility) fog yet? Anything interesting to pass on? I'm assuming there might be a point where the cameras can still lock on the lane markings sufficently to allow AP to work and the RADAR is well capable of penetrating fog... but what would the U/S transducers make of it? Not enough range to be bothered? Just intrigued! MW
Only the camera would be affected, but if it can't see the lines it can't work.

Think the AP just uses the camera for lane keeping.
The radar is for traffic/obstacles in front and the u/sound sensors for other objects and sort-of blind spot monitoring.

So if the camera cant see then AP will give up.

That said I am amazed at how well the AP copes with reduced visibility due to car in front, broken lines, puddles etc.