Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot information from Tesla.com misleading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I googled around the terms "alpha" and "beta" in software cycles. Is there a developer-community accepted definition for these?
Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. Alpha software may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version.

Software in the beta stage generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users.

A release candidate is a beta version with potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. In this stage of product stabilization, all product features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known showstopper-class bugs

Well, they're into it up to the short and curlies for sure. They're still showing that video of the car driving around on its own, and then they're taking cash from people to enable their cars to do the same thing.

Shhh, but if anyone is interested, I am fully equipped to summon unicorns. I will take your $500 dollars (that's a limited time offer - tell your friends) now and will deliver your unicorn pending intergalactic zoological regulatory approval. I accept bitcoin.

I think the magic code that makes random sensors and cameras thrown together on a Friday afternoon is located on Mars. Shareholders,I'm truly sorry...no one could have expected this...but we have no choice but to build a manned mission to Mars to retrieve it.

• We (or at least I don't, maybe someone does) don't know if the EAP code is just a subset of the FSD code or if they are separate to some degree. If they have some degree of separation it would mean that progress or lack of progress on one doesn't necessarily mean as much for the other. I'm sure that even if they have separate code they have a series of similar challenges and could borrow from each other though.
The basic things should be the same. Image recognition is a big part and that will be the same. At some point FSD will surely diverge, but if you build a house, you can't build the roof before the basement.
  • We don't know if they are releasing things incrementally as they improve things or if they are just releasing things that they may want to have a wider spread testing fleet to run. It's possible that they have advanced far more in EAP and/or FSD than what we are seeing.
But since TACC, or auto steer doesn't even reliably work, I don't know how more complex EAP functions like automatic lane changes would be implemented, where you don't just need to watch the car in front and the lane markings you're driving in, but also cars in back and the lane you want to go to.

• EAP is not currently using high resolution mapping data. Knowing what is coming more than radar and camera view ahead of the car will have to provide some positive benefits in performance. How much it will help is so far unclear.

• EAP is not currently leveraging all of the sensors (particularly the cameras). It seems that a subset of the issues people report would be improved by using more cameras. For example: the problems when dealing with bright sunlight seem like they'd be a bit better when the side cameras are brought into the process since they have different angles that naturally mitigate the impact of sun glare.

I do definitely think more information would help the system, but I'm not sure how they could use high resolution mapping w/o LIDAR. Why they don't use both front cameras? I don't really know. Maybe it's harder to find out which one gives a false positive, for example. Right now it seems like Tesla just threw in all the sensor they thought they might need and then started working with as little as possible, to look how far they can get.

And I'm not sure if the current HW is even good enough. Audi already uses LIDAR and 360 degree radar + camera. Don't get me wrong the rest of the car is truly great, but AP isn't handled well.