TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot information from Tesla.com misleading

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sumitkgarg, Sep 1, 2017.

1. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. Alpha software may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version.

Software in the beta stage generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users.

A release candidate is a beta version with potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. In this stage of product stabilization, all product features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known showstopper-class bugs

2. daktari

daktari Member

Development hell... Hm...
    Remember the Model 3 launch? "bla bla production hell" (Elon seem surprised he actually said it loud, then laughs it off)

Wonder if I should sell my 10 TSLA now.

3. alehbaba

alehbaba Member

elons in this vid...interesting take on education

4. Economite

Economite Member

5. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

I think you guys are misinterpreting Leon's tweets. He meant 3-6 months before EAP and FSD are differentiated in their class action suit status. I guess they are expecting to have to settle the FSD suit early, while holding the EAP victims off for a bit more time.

/s

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  6. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

"Feature complete"! Hahaha!

o_O

• Funny x 1
  7. _jal_

_jal_ Member

Well, they're into it up to the short and curlies for sure. They're still showing that video of the car driving around on its own, and then they're taking cash from people to enable their cars to do the same thing.

Shhh, but if anyone is interested, I am fully equipped to summon unicorns. I will take your $500 dollars (that's a limited time offer - tell your friends) now and will deliver your unicorn pending intergalactic zoological regulatory approval. I accept bitcoin.

• Funny x 5
  8. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

I think the magic code that makes random sensors and cameras thrown together on a Friday afternoon is located on Mars. Shareholders,I'm truly sorry...no one could have expected this...but we have no choice but to build a manned mission to Mars to retrieve it.

9. oktane

oktane Active Member

Tesla EAP/FSD = vaporware
    Tesla AP2 = early alpha testing stage

Tesla claiming AP2 is "beta" software is false, considering full functionality is not even close to being completed.

10. R.S

R.S Active Member

The basic things should be the same. Image recognition is a big part and that will be the same. At some point FSD will surely diverge, but if you build a house, you can't build the roof before the basement.
    But since TACC, or auto steer doesn't even reliably work, I don't know how more complex EAP functions like automatic lane changes would be implemented, where you don't just need to watch the car in front and the lane markings you're driving in, but also cars in back and the lane you want to go to.

I do definitely think more information would help the system, but I'm not sure how they could use high resolution mapping w/o LIDAR. Why they don't use both front cameras? I don't really know. Maybe it's harder to find out which one gives a false positive, for example. Right now it seems like Tesla just threw in all the sensor they thought they might need and then started working with as little as possible, to look how far they can get.

And I'm not sure if the current HW is even good enough. Audi already uses LIDAR and 360 degree radar + camera. Don't get me wrong the rest of the car is truly great, but AP isn't handled well.