Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Install Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I gave in and installed the Autopilot option on the car. Now, that seems to have gone swimmingly with Autosteer and Auto Lane Change appearing in Driver Assistance. However, Autopark and Summon are not (yet) present.

The software version is still shown as V7.1 (2.11.115) from memory, certainly the V7.1 part.

I'd like ot hear from anyone who has installed this option after initial purchase as I suspect what happens is that the car once updated to Autopilot config is placed in the regular update queue to receive V7.1.1 in Australia which contains those other "goodies".

Comments please.

Might be the circumstances though, being installed after delivery. I'll get out and run around a bit tomorrow. The manual does mention "calibration" from 30 minutes to several hours of driving. Maybe cars that have it on delivery are "pre-calibrated" by driving them around a bit first?

Might be the circumstances though, being installed after delivery. I'll get out and run around a bit tomorrow. The manual does mention "calibration" from 30 minutes to several hours of driving. Maybe cars that have it on delivery are "pre-calibrated" by driving them around a bit first?

That's possible I guess. Yours is the first I've heard of installed after delivery. Will be interested to hear what you find!

OK, here's what happened:

Installed V7.1 (V2.11.156) mid morning yesterday.

Notified of software update around 9:30 to 10:00 pm last night.

Installed that second update.

Now at V7.1 (2.12.126). Not V7.1

However, went out for a drive this morning and everything seems to be present - Autosteer, Auto Lane Keeping, Autopark and so forth.

Summon now active on the Phone App (not a biggy, since I have a sloping drive and I don't know that it will ever cope on that in the present form, but, we'll see.

So, pretty much everything to do with Autopilot is present the "P" was popping up after a short drive around a local shopping centre car park, but I think I'll train it a bit more before putting the car in the hands of the AutoPark software just yet.

Restricted to 50kph as noted on streets with no line markings although it will " 'ave a go" with one side marked. Narrow main roads (e.g. parts of Logan Road) confuse it with cars parked on one side and a centre line. DEfinitely still needs a human hand there.

The only small mystery is why isn't it V7.1.1 ? Everything seems to be fine and according to the book, so I'm not complaining.

Still nervous abuot the car driving itself though :)

OK, here's what happened:

Installed V7.1 (V2.11.156) mid morning yesterday.

Notified of software update around 9:30 to 10:00 pm last night.

Installed that second update.

Now at V7.1 (2.12.126). Not V7.1

However, went out for a drive this morning and everything seems to be present - Autosteer, Auto Lane Keeping, Autopark and so forth.

Summon now active on the Phone App (not a biggy, since I have a sloping drive and I don't know that it will ever cope on that in the present form, but, we'll see.

So, pretty much everything to do with Autopilot is present the "P" was popping up after a short drive around a local shopping centre car park, but I think I'll train it a bit more before putting the car in the hands of the AutoPark software just yet.

Restricted to 50kph as noted on streets with no line markings although it will " 'ave a go" with one side marked. Narrow main roads (e.g. parts of Logan Road) confuse it with cars parked on one side and a centre line. DEfinitely still needs a human hand there.

The only small mystery is why isn't it V7.1.1 ? Everything seems to be fine and according to the book, so I'm not complaining.

Still nervous abuot the car driving itself though :)
You will get used to the car driving once you understand its limits, and can see those issues coming. Sometimes I forget if I'm in AP or manual control. The self parking happens very fast, which is a bit un-nerving.
AP isnt good on small poorly marked roads, but its not meant to be.

I suppose you get used to it, but I admit to "trying it out" today and that was a bit too early. I see that this is a DNN system in a very useful web article so we can expect that those rough edges can be coped with and this is just the very start of the process of learning. All good though.

A lot of the learning process is the driver's too - knowing when to use it and anticipating how it will respond in certain situations.

I must have done over 10,000kms auto driving now. Overall it performs really well - I can say that because I'm now trained by the system to know where it doesn't. :) and they're slowly moving that bar anyway.

IMHO it now drives pretty perfect in tunnels like the M5 that's full of trucks. The main outstanding issue is crests while following lane markings, and the way it assumes lane width when it looses a lane marking.

I've done 260kms non stop with no intervention other than dealing with the occasional lane change. That's achieved on v7.1.

It also drives really well in heavy slow traffic, like my drive into Newtown (NSW) although I find I'm driving that more now because of the pot holes and road quality..