Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot instructions? How do I turn it on/start using it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feeling a little stupid, but maybe I am just getting old and can't figure things out like I used to be able to. I have an 85D which I am 99% sure has autopilot hardware (purchased in June 2015). I have the software update, new UI etc. Question for everyone, how do I turn autopilot/steering on when I am driving? I know how to use cruise control, but how do I turn on the autosteering etc?

Thanks in advance, Greg

Feeling a little stupid, but maybe I am just getting old and can't figure things out like I used to be able to. I have an 85D which I am 99% sure has autopilot hardware (purchased in June 2015). I have the software update, new UI etc. Question for everyone, how do I turn autopilot/steering on when I am driving? I know how to use cruise control, but how do I turn on the autosteering etc?

Thanks in advance, Greg
Greg
Touch the T at the top of the screen and then the release notes at the bottom under your version number.
In any event it is 2 quick pulls towards you on the small steering wheel stalk

Pay strict attention to the cruise control designator on the right of the speed read out and the auto steer indicator on the left. When they are white/greyed, they are off. When either or both are blue, they are ON.

Find a two lane road with no one else anywhere near you when you try it the first time. Enable cruise control as you normally do. After you are completely comfortable, pull the cruise stalk back twice and you will see the auto steer wheel go blue just to the left of your speed read out. Loosen the grip on the steering wheel and feel how the car drives. Give it more leash as you gain confidence.

It's turned off by default (in the settings), but you don't really want to turn it on until you've read up on it in the user manual.

The manual on the web hasn't been updated so you'll have to access the user manual from the car.

And just in case you need to find the manual in the car, Controls, Settings, lower left corner, Manual. It has been updated for 7.0

Feeling a little smarter since it wasn't me but annoyed/pissed. So apparently mine isn't working or something wrong. 85 D so it should have hardware. but I don't get the icon in the corner on the right for autosteer, when i look at the release notes it doesn't mention it, and when I double pull on the cruise stalk. Not sure what to do I guess try to get to a Tesla service

Feeling a little smarter since it wasn't me but annoyed/pissed. So apparently mine isn't working or something wrong. 85 D so it should have hardware. but I don't get the icon in the corner on the right for autosteer, when i look at the release notes it doesn't mention it, and when I double pull on the cruise stalk. Not sure what to do I guess try to get to a Tesla service

Does your car have the windshield camera and front bumper radar? https://www.bing.com/images/search?...47847BABF86719D0673BD1639FAB7AB5B&FORM=IQFRBA

Also, did you purchase autopilot at time of configuration? If both are true it should be there.

Okay, you have an 85D. That means you have the AutoPilot hardware. Did you pay to enable the [optional] AutoPilot software?

okay, back to feeling dumb again. Anyway, I thought it was included. Here is a clip of my purchase order showing it listed (along with Supercharger enabled which it obviously does). I thought it was basically because both are included automatically on new versions so doesn't have price listed?
Tesla Purchase.PNG

okay, back to feeling dumb again. Anyway, I thought it was included. Here is a clip of my purchase order showing it listed (along with Supercharger enabled which it obviously does). I thought it was basically because both are included automatically on new versions so doesn't have price listed? View attachment 98525

AP hardware is included....SOFTWARE you have to pay for. but you can call in and pay to enable it now.

If you look at the Tesla website Design Studio page, where you configure the car, you will see Autopilot listed as a separate $2500 option. Based on what you posted, you did not buy that option. You can add it now if you wish, talk to Tesla.
okay, back to feeling dumb again. Anyway, I thought it was included. Here is a clip of my purchase order showing it listed (along with Supercharger enabled which it obviously does). I thought it was basically because both are included automatically on new versions so doesn't have price listed? View attachment 98525

Hey, I wonder if Greg R ever bought that option and if so, does he regret or appreciate the option. I had it on my P85D since day 1 and I love it. I use it every day on my commute to work and 90% on any long trips. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that option again. Now as for the AP1 vs AP2 debate, that's another question.