TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AutoPilot instructions? How do I turn it on/start using it

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Greg R, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Greg R

Greg R Member

Feeling a little stupid, but maybe I am just getting old and can't figure things out like I used to be able to. I have an 85D which I am 99% sure has autopilot hardware (purchased in June 2015). I have the software update, new UI etc. Question for everyone, how do I turn autopilot/steering on when I am driving? I know how to use cruise control, but how do I turn on the autosteering etc?

Thanks in advance, Greg

2. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

It's turned off by default (in the settings), but you don't really want to turn it on until you've read up on it in the user manual.

The manual on the web hasn't been updated so you'll have to access the user manual from the car.

3. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

Greg
    Touch the T at the top of the screen and then the release notes at the bottom under your version number.
    In any event it is 2 quick pulls towards you on the small steering wheel stalk

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Pay strict attention to the cruise control designator on the right of the speed read out and the auto steer indicator on the left. When they are white/greyed, they are off. When either or both are blue, they are ON.

Find a two lane road with no one else anywhere near you when you try it the first time. Enable cruise control as you normally do. After you are completely comfortable, pull the cruise stalk back twice and you will see the auto steer wheel go blue just to the left of your speed read out. Loosen the grip on the steering wheel and feel how the car drives. Give it more leash as you gain confidence.

5. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

And just in case you need to find the manual in the car, Controls, Settings, lower left corner, Manual. It has been updated for 7.0

6. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

#6 fiksegts, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

7. Greg R

Greg R Member

Feeling a little smarter since it wasn't me but annoyed/pissed. So apparently mine isn't working or something wrong. 85 D so it should have hardware. but I don't get the icon in the corner on the right for autosteer, when i look at the release notes it doesn't mention it, and when I double pull on the cruise stalk. Not sure what to do I guess try to get to a Tesla service

8. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Sounds like you didn't order yours with it. Its an option on the 85D.

9. RichardL

RichardL Member

Not that I have a car that can do AP - but don't you have to pay for it? Might be worth checking that it was paid for, and that the payment was acknowledged

Jaguar36 beat me to it!

10. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Does your car have the windshield camera and front bumper radar? https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tesla+camera+radar&id=5BE3C5547847BABF86719D0673BD1639FAB7AB5B&FORM=IQFRBA

Also, did you purchase autopilot at time of configuration? If both are true it should be there.

11. ilg

ilg Some guy on the Internet.

Okay, you have an 85D. That means you have the AutoPilot hardware. Did you pay to enable the [optional] AutoPilot software?

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

When you purchased your S did you pay the $2500 for the Autopilot option?

13. Greg R

Greg R Member

okay, back to feeling dumb again. Anyway, I thought it was included. Here is a clip of my purchase order showing it listed (along with Supercharger enabled which it obviously does). I thought it was basically because both are included automatically on new versions so doesn't have price listed? Tesla Purchase.PNG

14. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

AP hardware is included....SOFTWARE you have to pay for. but you can call in and pay to enable it now.

15. Greg R

Greg R Member

got it, thank you!!!! not sure I would use it enough to make it worth it, but it is cool enough I might do it anyway

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

If you look at the Tesla website Design Studio page, where you configure the car, you will see Autopilot listed as a separate $2500 option. Based on what you posted, you did not buy that option. You can add it now if you wish, talk to Tesla.