TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot is already improving.

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by mobe, Oct 20, 2015.

1. mobe

mobe Member

So far I have a little over 300 miles on autopilot, mostly 20 miles at a time on my commute to and from work.
    The first day when I was in the right lane, as I approached exit ramps, it would dive for the exit ramp. I quickly learned to apply torque to the wheel to hold the car on the interstate until I had passed the exit.
    Each day the system seems to have less tendency to follow the exit ramps as I pass.
    The last two days it only gave a momentary wiggle and moved over maybe six inches towards the exit ramp then it recoverd and moved on down the road.
    This morning it gave only a very slight hesitation, so little that I did not have to correct it at all. I find it remarkable that it is improving this rapidly.
    I wonder if it is getting more information on this section of road or if it is changing how it reacts to any exit ramp?
    This car and this company continue to impress.

2. Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

I was going to jokingly suggest the car is learning based on loud swearing AND steering wheel torque at the same time. But then I thought about it. Could Tesla ACTUALLY EMPLOY voice commands combined with GPS tagging so you could guide the car's behavior, much like you'd train a dog?

3. MikeS85D

MikeS85D Member

I noticed the same. Last week AP tended to head for the exits when driving in the right lane. Now I am noticing a brief momentary wiggle to the right that is quickly corrected and the car stays on the highway. I'm not sure if it is a fluke, or if the car is learning from my previous route or from other Teslas that have been driving the same route.

4. JMG

JMG Member

I agree. I've seen it react better to exit ramps in the past couple of days where previously it would aggressively dart to the ramp.

5. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

Wow! As for the reason, I think it's 50/50.

6. garygid

garygid Member

When in AutoSteering mode, a press down (up) of the AP control stalk could switch
    the car to a new "follow left (right) lane line" mode.

Then, if in the right lane, wanting to bypass right-side exits, setting the "follow left lane line"
    mode as the steering preference would seem likely to work well, and allow switching to
    the "follow right lane line" to take the next exit, or to take the right branch through an interchange
    onto another freeway, or to avoid entering a left turn lane.

A big press up or down (to the second position) could still be speed control, but
    a small press (just to the first position) could be the lane-following preference.

7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Wow, if auto steer is learning that quickly by whatever means, color me impressed.

8. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I think AP is becoming Skynet.

9. Lex

Lex Member

I too thought it was getting better at not exiting the highway, and lane keeping on a couple of "regular" streets ... meanwhile I had been wondering if Elon was just making up the whole learning thing for the press :biggrin:

10. commasign

commasign Active Member

I noticed that on sharply curved ramp connecting I-80 west with CA-113 north in Davis, the first time it took the curve at full speed and wasn't able to stay in lane resulting in a "take control immediately" alert. After a few more times on this curve with firm pressure on the steering wheel it's now learned to slow down and today had no issue taking the curve. Definitely learning.

• Like x 1
  11. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

the highway exit issue isn't unique to Tesla for sure.
    My wife has a CRV Touring with LKAS (lane keeping assist) which does basic lane keeping etc, it also has a tendency to wander off into exit lanes on the highway until you "persuade" it to stay on target. However it whines at you if you take your hands off the wheel for too long ;)

12. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Wow, so you're saying that the car not only steers better but that it is also throttling back speed on the curve by itself? That's pretty awesome.

13. garygid

garygid Member

If your car is learning when to slow down the TACC by experience, that
    is a rather laborious method. If the results are being uploaded and
    put into a database for my car to use, that could be quite helpful, but
    still not at all as fast as using already existing data to compute such
    a database, or just compute what you need for your immediate journey.

From Google maps one could look ahead to the upcoming curve and
    calculate the radii needed to traverse the road ahead. Essentially this
    is already done to compute the lines to draw the route, but would only
    need to be done in real time for the road segments immediately ahead.

This is similar to the traffic speed data that Google appears to capture
    on car speeds, probably from tracking user-enabled Android phones,
    but a mostly static database of "normal" weather "safe" speeds.

Reading the yellow "suggested speeds" signs would also help.

Normally, staying under AP, one can only slow by using the AP
    control stalk, since any use of the brake turns AP Off, right?

14. ar4c

ar4c Banned

It's in your head. It just shows inconsistencies. Drive by that same exit 10 times, and then report your findings. Then do it another 10 times. It is just inconsistent, thats all.

15. JMG

JMG Member

Umm, no. Previously it would TAKE the exit, on 10 out of 10 exits. I would have to literally grab the wheel and disengage AP.

Now, with just my hands hovering over the wheel...it starts to veer gently and then goes back into the lane.

16. Dwu0212

Dwu0212 Member

I agree, I tried it couple times on exits that I knew it had trouble and its behaving the same every time

17. mobe

mobe Member

How about 24 times?
    It changes in a progressive fashion.

It is either;
    1) changing how it reacts
    2) I am developing telekinetic powers

, think I'll go with option one.

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Okay this is blowing my mind. I have seen similar posts in other threads, people using AP reporting that the Auto Steer function seems to be rapidly improving with repeated trips on the same roads. This thread seems to confirm that is actually happening. I am not 100% convinced yet, but I'm leaning that way.
    If this is really true, Tesla is going to very quickly be far ahead of every other self-driving system available from the other auto manufacturers.

19. larmor

larmor Member

Unless the company claims it, it is only pure speculation that AP is learning. We did learn that TM was monitoring charge times and frequencies and used that information to address range issues and perceived range anxiety...

20. BriansTesla

BriansTesla Old school meets new tech

This is really amazing. Could someone tweet Elon and see if he will say what's really going on?

This could be the biggest breakthrough for Tesla yet!