TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot is INCREDIBLE in super heavy rain!!!

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by ratsbew, Aug 7, 2018.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

100% phenomenal performance by autopilot tonight. PHENOMENAL. I was driving at night in a complete downpour. I slowed AP progressively to 45 mph because I could barely see at all. I could see just well enough to supervise autopilot, but that's it. It can 100% without a doubt see better through the rain than the human eye. It was performing like a superhuman.

This is some alien technology. Autopilot is one of the main reasons Tesla is worth $60+ billion.

• Like x 6
    • Love x 3
  2. RedModel3

RedModel3 Member

I was wondering about this yesterday as I drove through storms in the cornfields of Illinois. I was always taught to never use cruise control in the rain, and you can't use AP without cruise. What do others here think?

3. drawfour

drawfour Member

I think that thing about not using cruise control in the rain was before stuff like traction control was a thing. If you were going on at a good clip and you started to hydroplane, the cruise control might try to speed up after you hit the patch of water, causing even more hydroplaning.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. ksb467

ksb467 Member

Agree, I found the same and think it’s the best true advantage for EAP. Super helpful to supplement my attempt to drive safely in driving rain with appropriate follow distance too.

5. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

It's great at night when oncoming car headlights are blinding too. Somehow the car can "see" better than we can, both in rain and in the dark.

• Like x 1
  6. DanCar

DanCar Member

AP1 or AP2?

7. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

2.5 on mine

8. Zirak

Zirak Member

Auto steer didn't work in heavy rain since it wasn't able to detect the lane lines. I'd imagine just TACC would work since it uses its sonar sensor to detect the car in front, which isn't obstructed by the rain iirc.

9. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

I've also had good experiences with EAP in the rain, even where painted lines were very worn from winter sand/salt.

10. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

His avatar is a Model 3 so AP2 seems like a safe assumption.

11. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

It's really not alien tech....I just bought a Subaru for use when I'm in Montana and it came with Eyesight, which is not autopilot but is a very good driver assist technology. As long as you don't turn it off, it works in the background to keep you in your lane. There was a very heavy downpour outside of Bozeman a few days ago and cars were pulling off the road because you just couldn't see through the rain. With Eyesight, though, the car kept me in my lane and I drove through the rain.

There are things that Autopilot does that other systems don't, but assisting you to stay in your lane when you can't see well is not not one of those things. It's fairly common.

• Disagree x 1
  12. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

Agree it's amazing. In general handles heavy rain and even a descent amount of snow before computer confidence diminishes enough that you have to take over. Fog also, where radar can "see" much further than you can. And this is really only generation 1 of our self-driving future, it's great

13. Gyanofcary

Gyanofcary Member

Totally agree, today I drove in heavy fog in autopilot mode. Having electronic eyes, ears and brain watching the road was very comforting. It takes a while to build the trust with the machine. I am stressed lot less now. It also helps a great deal in stop and go traffic on highway.

14. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

AP2.5 to be accurate. The sensors are better than AP2.

15. mrbulk

mrbulk Member

A new road was built near our neighborhood, no lighting whatsoever at night and we swear the lanes seem narrower than the usual roads around here, so when driving after dark we just switch on the AP2.5 and never an issue.