Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot is INCREDIBLE in super heavy rain!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% phenomenal performance by autopilot tonight. PHENOMENAL. I was driving at night in a complete downpour. I slowed AP progressively to 45 mph because I could barely see at all. I could see just well enough to supervise autopilot, but that's it. It can 100% without a doubt see better through the rain than the human eye. It was performing like a superhuman.

This is some alien technology. Autopilot is one of the main reasons Tesla is worth $60+ billion.

100% phenomenal performance by autopilot tonight. PHENOMENAL. I was driving at night in a complete downpour. I slowed AP progressively to 45 mph because I could barely see at all. I could see just well enough to supervise autopilot, but that's it. It can 100% without a doubt see better through the rain than the human eye. It was performing like a superhuman.

This is some alien technology. Autopilot is one of the main reasons Tesla is worth $60+ billion.
I was wondering about this yesterday as I drove through storms in the cornfields of Illinois. I was always taught to never use cruise control in the rain, and you can't use AP without cruise. What do others here think?

I was wondering about this yesterday as I drove through storms in the cornfields of Illinois. I was always taught to never use cruise control in the rain, and you can't use AP without cruise. What do others here think?
I think that thing about not using cruise control in the rain was before stuff like traction control was a thing. If you were going on at a good clip and you started to hydroplane, the cruise control might try to speed up after you hit the patch of water, causing even more hydroplaning.

Auto steer didn't work in heavy rain since it wasn't able to detect the lane lines. I'd imagine just TACC would work since it uses its sonar sensor to detect the car in front, which isn't obstructed by the rain iirc.

It's really not alien tech....I just bought a Subaru for use when I'm in Montana and it came with Eyesight, which is not autopilot but is a very good driver assist technology. As long as you don't turn it off, it works in the background to keep you in your lane. There was a very heavy downpour outside of Bozeman a few days ago and cars were pulling off the road because you just couldn't see through the rain. With Eyesight, though, the car kept me in my lane and I drove through the rain.

There are things that Autopilot does that other systems don't, but assisting you to stay in your lane when you can't see well is not not one of those things. It's fairly common.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Agree it's amazing. In general handles heavy rain and even a descent amount of snow before computer confidence diminishes enough that you have to take over. Fog also, where radar can "see" much further than you can. And this is really only generation 1 of our self-driving future, it's great

Totally agree, today I drove in heavy fog in autopilot mode. Having electronic eyes, ears and brain watching the road was very comforting. It takes a while to build the trust with the machine. I am stressed lot less now. It also helps a great deal in stop and go traffic on highway.