Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the updates recently has my hardware 2.0 Model S move over in the lane every time a truck (or any vehicle the autopilot thinks is a truck) is in an adjacent lane. This has almost completely ruined autopilot on the highway! The car is constantly pinging back and forth in the lane. It is very jerky and often startle me when it does it. Also, if I’m in a middle lane passing a truck who is in the right lane then my car jerks to the left side of the lane and there is a faster car who is passing me in the left lane then I end up awfully close to the guy in the left lane. This is a horrible feature and wish there was some way to disable it. Curious if anyone else is experiencing this or could it be an issue with my particular car. It’s been happening for a couple of months and I keep thinking there will be an update to fix, but so far nothing. Thank you for your feedback.

Many people are complaining about it (me for sure!) and have asked multiple time to have this function under a toggle in the configuration menu.
The idea behind it is to leave as much berth as possible to lorries and large vehicles, but the net effect is a continuous ping-pong. My wife hates it so much because it is making her see-sick that I have to turn off autopilot when she is in the car.

Many people are complaining about it (me for sure!) and have asked multiple time to have this function under a toggle in the configuration menu.
The idea behind it is to leave as much berth as possible to lorries and large vehicles, but the net effect is a continuous ping-pong. My wife hates it so much because it is making her see-sick that I have to turn off autopilot when she is in the car.

Yes, I have the same issue. If my wife is in the car I can’t use autopilot because it irritates her. It was a terrible update. Car used to drive smoothly on the highway now it’s pinging and ponging all over the lane. Frustrating!

Reactions: f205v
First let me say I hate this feature as well. I never wanted it.
I’ve stopped using AP for the most part when wife and family are in the car. I can deal with the swerving or ping ponging but family and especially wife hates it.
It’s funny how if you search back in these very same forums to beginning of the year there were Numerous posts and complaints from owners that they hated the way our cars would pass trucks on AP and felt like it was “too close”. Especially around corners. They felt like the car should ease over and give more room to the trucks “exactly like a human would do”
I saw this written many many times in these posts.
To me it’s a bit of a perception thing really. You can be centered perfectly in the lane and when a giant truck is right beside you centered in its lane, it feels way too close. If it was a normal size car (or even pickup truck) beside you it doesn’t give that same sensation regardless of the vehicle’s width. It’s the enormity of it that makes it feels so close.
Regardless.....it was user’s who asked for this so it might be hard to get rid of.

Reactions: Bluejuice