Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 MYLR, four days old. Driving on two-lane road with Autopilot on at 55 mph, a car about an eighth of a mile from me pulls out and crosses my lane. Although he was well out of my way, my Y slows down anyway (seemingly after he was already well out of my lane). I stepped on the accelerator and tried to resume Autopilot, but it would not resume. I had to push the stalk up as if cancelling autopilot and then I could resume autopilot. Strange? Not sure what my wife would have done. The more I drive this car the more I am convinced she should never drive it. Or at least not until the phantom braking issues are resolved.

Not a phantom braking issue.

Autopilot is VERY cautious with cars or other obstacles crossing its path. If you are using AP when on 2-lane or even 4-lane (but not limited access) roads stay alert for crossing traffic up ahead (like you always should anyway). Car will always be more cautious than you and likely slow down more than you would. I find AP always to be more cautious (aka safer) than me.

FSD beta will likely improve on this with more intelligent anticipation of obstacle motion, direction, and speed.

When I see this situation developing I usually just disengage and re-engage AP. Sometimes I can override by pressing accelerator early when I see situation developing …… but I’m not so sure that is a safe habit to get into. Normally I would ease off accelerator rather than pressing down.

And consider this ………… What if crossing car stalls?

As for your wife …….. she might be like mine. Drives the car plenty. Loves it. And avoids AP like the plague.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
You aren't beta testing the autopilot unless you drive around with your hands off the wheel. It doesn't rip the steering wheel out of your hand. If it does something I dont agree with I will simply drive... hands already on the wheel. The car will stop much faster than you will so the braking isnt really the issue. I find the accelerator is much more likely to need to be pressed to help it past something phantom.

Humans are imperfect, technology is imperfect, but if you fuse the two together and you learn how to best use it, itll be much greater than the sum of its parts. Even the beta. Fascinating stuff really.

Reactions: NeverGoingBack