Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone not be able to activate AP on the highway after disabling it? It's happened a couple times but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. Sometimes AP will not come back until I stop for a period of time or >30 min.

I haven't had this happen, but have you called the support line?

I'd suggest trying to reboot the vehicle by holding down the upper buttons on each side of the steering wheel (above the thumb wheels). If that doesn't help, you should contact an SC.

Yes, it's progressively improved with updates. It's a software thing. Essentially if there are a certain number of errors or such the system deactivates and one has to leave the car for it to reactivate (supercharging on a road trip).

I haven't had this happen, but have you called the support line?

I'd suggest trying to reboot the vehicle by holding down the upper buttons on each side of the steering wheel (above the thumb wheels). If that doesn't help, you should contact an SC.

Somewhat afraid to reboot while on the highway. I mentioned it when I had to drop my car off at the SC and they couldn't find anything wrong. It doesn't happen at the same stretch of the highway either, sometime it will let me activate and sometimes it won't.

did you get tossed into the penalty box for inattentiveness or going over 90 mph with AP enabled?

That was my first thought, @wqu06.

Did you disable AP manually (touched the brakes, pushed the stalk out, took over the steering) or were you kicked out of AP because you eaither accelerated and exceeded 90mph or ignored warnings to put hands on wheel? (No judgment, most of us have done one of those or both & learned we lost AP until we stopped.)

Somewhat afraid to reboot while on the highway.

Harmless from a drivability aspect. Had to do it yesterday when trying to navigate home, and nav got hopelessly locked into a "searching for supercharger" loop. Tried 3 times and got the same loop. Rebooted, and it worked first time. This at 75 MPH...

Was low on charge and needed to make sure I'd have enough to make it without having to slow down.

did you get tossed into the penalty box for inattentiveness or going over 90 mph with AP enabled?

Nope. One time it was immediately after I left a supercharger and got on the highway and AP would not enable for ~30 minutes.

That was my first thought, @wqu06.

Did you disable AP manually (touched the brakes, pushed the stalk out, took over the steering) or were you kicked out of AP because you eaither accelerated and exceeded 90mph or ignored warnings to put hands on wheel? (No judgment, most of us have done one of those or both & learned we lost AP until we stopped.)

It's happened when it detected a phantom object and started beeping at me (this happened on my way to the SC and I told them the approximate time that it happened). It's happened when I manually disable AP and want to re-enable. It's happened after I supercharge and got back on the highway.

Nothing is wrong with your car. AP2 disables after errors/faults that have nothing do with driver error. This will be less and sooner or later stop with a future update. It has significantly gotten better with recent updates. Resetting will not do anything.

Nothing is wrong with your car. AP2 disables after errors/faults that have nothing do with driver error. This will be less and sooner or later stop with a future update. It has significantly gotten better with recent updates. Resetting will not do anything.
How did you confirm this will be less and sooner or later stop with a future update? Have you already received the said future update? Please tell us more.

Experience and posts since getting my X earlier in summer. Drove long distances in the beginning and errors were relatively frequent. On a big road trip frequently lost the use of AP. Noticed in posts that this exact same experience happened. Then with updates on a different road trip, this behavior improved significantly. This was the exact experience others had reported with one of the significant updates (along with improved behavior and reduced ghost braking).

Taking a break for supercharging or other reason will allow for the system to reset. But forcing the computer reset will do nothing to reset the autopilot behavior. It still happens on occasion with current software- once on a third roadtrip but far less frequently still.

Can confirm same results with my Model S. This happened to me maybe 3 times while on a road trip. Resetting computer did nothing. Leaving the car parked and at rest seemed to fix it. This problem was resolved at some point after an OTA update (I think 2 updates ago). Have not had the issue since.

Nevertheless, I feel your pain. It's really annoying for this to happen while on a road trip . . . . When you need/want AP the most!