TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot issues during sunrise and sunset

Discussion in 'Model X' started by flyhigh123, Jul 25, 2016.

1. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

My autopilot has trouble sometimes holding the lane during sunrise and sunset especially while driving towards the sun. Cameras seem to be not picking up the lines clearly, so it swerves a bit more than usual. If the road lines arent perfect, it loses track easily.

Anyone notice this issue?

2. Pilar Beckner

Pilar Beckner Member

Yes, that's true. Cameras are not clear and its a bit risky to drive. Maybe, that's the main reason why
    numerous factors in crashes were before sunset and after sunrise.

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

numerous crashes? please elaborate

4. timf

timf Member

As a simple rule of thumb, if you have difficulty seeing the lane markings expect Autopilot to have an even more difficult time seeing them and don't use it. I have tried it a couple times driving into the sun and felt very uneasy during that time so it's manual only now in those conditions.

5. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

On the flip side, I've had pretty good success with my Model S seeing the lines while driving into the sun. No complaints here. :)

• Like x 1
  6. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I agree with @rfmurphy81 i also find autopilot more reliable and useful when sun is directly at me. The only time it had an issue was when sun was getting reflected off of another vehicle and straight onto the camera.

• Informative x 1
  7. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I wonder how much infrared these cameras can see... shouldn't that help? slap in some iR flood lamps and you can light the road at night easy.

8. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

mainly its when the sun is right at the horizon... some of the freeways i drive on, sometimes there is maybe a 10-30 foot section of unclear lane guides... its such a short and quick section, but i would notice my dash lines disappear for a few seconds... i'm guessing the sun is causing the camera to close the iris or do a white balance adjustment etc which makes it miss these portions.

9. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

Hey gang...Just heard Tesla and Mobileye have parted ways. Tesla says they can make better chips, with more innovation, than Mobileye.
    Any idea what this will do to autopilot development? Will it help/hurt AP2 rollout?