Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot issues during sunrise and sunset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My autopilot has trouble sometimes holding the lane during sunrise and sunset especially while driving towards the sun. Cameras seem to be not picking up the lines clearly, so it swerves a bit more than usual. If the road lines arent perfect, it loses track easily.

Anyone notice this issue?

As a simple rule of thumb, if you have difficulty seeing the lane markings expect Autopilot to have an even more difficult time seeing them and don't use it. I have tried it a couple times driving into the sun and felt very uneasy during that time so it's manual only now in those conditions.

On the flip side, I've had pretty good success with my Model S seeing the lines while driving into the sun. No complaints here. :)
I agree with @rfmurphy81 i also find autopilot more reliable and useful when sun is directly at me. The only time it had an issue was when sun was getting reflected off of another vehicle and straight onto the camera.

• Informative
Reactions: rfmurphy81
mainly its when the sun is right at the horizon... some of the freeways i drive on, sometimes there is maybe a 10-30 foot section of unclear lane guides... its such a short and quick section, but i would notice my dash lines disappear for a few seconds... i'm guessing the sun is causing the camera to close the iris or do a white balance adjustment etc which makes it miss these portions.