Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Jail- 1 strike only for speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was travelling through an area where the traffic was moving along at 80 mph (limit = 70), I'm running it EAP on. Someone beside me does a dangerous maneuver, so I accelerate to put him behind me and remove myself from the situation.

Boom, before you know it, I'm at 90, EAP screeches and... I'm in autopilot jail? Immediately? For removing myself from danger? No three strikes?

So, I need to... stop at the side of a busy highway.... park, then re-accelerate into this 80 mph busy highway.

Seems kinda silly not to apply the 3 strikes for speed as well.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
You could brake faster than pushing the go pedal. To answer the question is because you are more dangerous to yourself, those around you, and to Tesla reputation (PR) going beyond the software+hardware limits (and possibly crashing or causing an accident). Compared to just not responding to the msg as an example.

• Disagree
Reactions: Superendo
I was travelling through an area where the traffic was moving along at 80 mph (limit = 70), I'm running it EAP on. Someone beside me does a dangerous maneuver, so I accelerate to put him behind me and remove myself from the situation.

Boom, before you know it, I'm at 90, EAP screeches and... I'm in autopilot jail? Immediately? For removing myself from danger? No three strikes?

So, I need to... stop at the side of a busy highway.... park, then re-accelerate into this 80 mph busy highway.

Man that sucks, AP Jail is no big deal on a short trip, but if your on the road for hours it's annoying to have to exit the freeway.

Reactions: sdrevik
On the German Autobahn AP in my car remains engaged at up to 154kmh [95.7mph] when carefully pressing the amps pedal, breaking out into TACC only at 155kmh with the audible red warning. However, there is no need to pull over at all, as the "strike" is automatically reset simply by dropping below 150 and then re-engaging AP as normal. This is IMHO a natural and sensible low-drama behaviour which should also be applied on motorways in all other countries, as it is less dangerous/distracting than the overly nannying schema to which it currently reverts when outside Germany.

@smatthew:
"I believe the reason is that the radar does not work above 90mph."

Whether Tesla's radar works sufficiently even well *below* 90mph is actually a very open question but in any case the radar on my car is the same whether at home or abroad, so this cannot be the reason for the implementation.

In fact the difference surely arises because German performance motorists, accustomed as they are to a lifetime of plying the Autobahnen at >=250kmh, would scornfully laugh at Tesla staff before departing the showroom forever if informed they were to be subjected to such a nonsensical restriction arising merely from the brain-fart of some Silicon Valley soyboy, and moreover were being asked to pay for the "privilege"!

No doubt this phenomenon happened quite a bit before Tesla got the message and belatedly adapted to the culture, although its sales in Germany still remain relatively low per capita compared to e.g. Holland or Switzerland.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
I wish it would just simply switch out of AP when you accelerate beyond its speed limit, just the same as it does when you hit the brakes. I don't see why it feels the need to put you in AP jail afterward? I've been caught out a number of times while cruising with AP close to its limit and then needing to accelerate momentarily to get past something or put myself in more space just to be thrown in jail! Seems pointless. I can fully understand the concept of AP jail for ignoring requests to hold the wheel, but not for controlling your own speed!

Reactions: sdrevik and OPRCE
I wish it would just simply switch out of AP when you accelerate beyond its speed limit, just the same as it does when you hit the brakes. I don't see why it feels the need to put you in AP jail afterward? I've been caught out a number of times while cruising with AP close to its limit and then needing to accelerate momentarily to get past something or put myself in more space just to be thrown in jail! Seems pointless. I can fully understand the concept of AP jail for ignoring requests to hold the wheel, but not for controlling your own speed!

In Germany your car would behave just as if you had overridden the steering, i.e. revert to TACC with a [louder] warning, then allow re-engagement in normal conditions, i.e. when driving <150kmh again.

Why it does not work like this everywhere is the only mystery, but I say we should lobby Tesla to make it so!

Reactions: GSP and sdrevik

Rules are simple, 90 disables autopilot. Don't like it, turn it off.

It should happen rarely, if it happens commonly, then you probably need to modify your driving style.

It should happen rarely, if it happens commonly, then you probably need to modify your driving style.

No, you are wrong ... it is time to rebel against the arbitrary tyranny of our corporate overlords! We have nothing to lose but the entirely worthless AP-jail "feature", which is in fact worse than tits on a boar.

It's not the fact that it disables AP at 90 (that's fine) it's the fact that it also puts you in AP jail for no good reason. Why should I have to manually switch AP off before flooring it? It's not like you have to manually switch AP off when braking or steering and none of those actions put you in AP jail.

Happened to me once. I continued to drive with, you know, the steering wheel and the pedals. I haven't forgotten how yet. It wasn't the end of the world, although I found it mildly annoying.

(I'm happy to see only one "you are a danger to yourself and others" Mrs. Grundy response so far, although one is too many.)

Reactions: GSP and Fobble
It's not the fact that it disables AP at 90 (that's fine) it's the fact that it also puts you in AP jail for no good reason. Why should I have to manually switch AP off before flooring it? It's not like you have to manually switch AP off when braking or steering and none of those actions put you in AP jail.
If you want to drive manually why would you have EAP on?

Happened to me once. I continued to drive with, you know, the steering wheel and the pedals. I haven't forgotten how yet. It wasn't the end of the world, although I found it mildly annoying.

(I'm happy to see only one "you are a danger to yourself and others" Mrs. Grundy response so far, although one is too many.)

What, you drove the car yourself?!?!?! You are a danger to yourself and others! Ohh wait that will only start to apply when all cars are fully self driving and people actually do forget how to drive on their own.

I don't understand this reply at all. Every single person who uses AP drives manually for part of the trip, duh. That means you have to disengage it at some point.
If you read the message I responded to, he doesn't want to disengage EAP before flooring it. So he wants to have EAP on and drive it manually at the same time. That doesn't make sense to me. You either want the car to drive or you want to drive.

• Disagree
Reactions: sdrevik
If you read the message I responded to, he doesn't want to disengage EAP before flooring it. So he wants to have EAP on and drive it manually at the same time. That doesn't make sense to me. You either want the car to drive or you want to drive.
I don’t see the cognitive dissonance myself. AP is explicitly built so that you can override the speed with the accelerator without having it disengage, ordinarily. The only exception is when you cross the magic speed barrier. I suppose if you imagine that @Peteski went through the thought process of “oh I intend to exceed the AP cutoff limit, should I disengage AP first?” then your criticism would apply, but when I put it that way, it doesn’t really seem very plausible, does it? My one experience with this “feature” certainly didn’t involve the leisure to consider my several options, it was in-the-moment.

This is a case of a user interface element (the accelerator) causing two different behaviors under different circumstances. It’s not a hair-on-fire UI error but I don’t see your “drive it manually or use AP, make up your mind” criticism as being on target.

If you want to drive manually why would you have EAP on?

I guess I had not been clear- it was an emergency maneuver to accelerate, I didn't have time to think about disabling EAP. I'll try to train myself to do that for the next time, but it was a completely unplanned thing. My only point was the "one strike" aspect, vs. getting three strikes for being hands-off the wheel for several minutes, which seems much more risky and stupid than trying to save your life.

Reactions: lukex4 and jgs