Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Jail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
I was took a 150 mile trip yesterday, almost exclusively on the interstate and a 2 lane state highway. Over the course of 2 ½ hours I had autopilot blare at me and disable itself, putting me in autopilot jail/timeout 3 separate times. Normally, AP will flash the screen blue, increasing in speed, then beep, then beep again 2 or 3 times before disabling itself, but in none of these occasions did it do that - the screen flashed blue a couple times then I got the big red steering wheel saying AP was unavailable. On the 3rd occasion, I was actually being quite vigilant about it and had my hands on the wheel. There was nothing special happening when it happened. The car was driving on well marked roads in good weather with little to no traffic. There weren't even any exits or turnoffs for it to worry about.

Has anyone else had this issue or know what causes it? I've had it happen once or twice before, but it's never been this problematic. I did update to 2021.12.25.7 recently, so maybe it's a bug in the firmware?

2021.12.25.7 is a buggy mess. I recently updated, even though I've seen reports about how bad this version is. The jumpy, backup camera is a nice touch as well. Better not trust that view for judging distance when backing into a spot! Neurotic auto high beams and highway traffic visualization are nice touches as well.

Looking forward to an update.

Well, my software updated to 2021.24.4 and I still had the exact same issue - twice autopilot put me in time out with no warning. The second time the screen only flashed blue once. What’s worse, the “move steering wheel“ notice seems to come on even sooner now. I timed it ad it was about every 10 seconds. (Again, this was a well-marked road with little traffic, clear lane lines, etc.) The ‘attention monitor’ feature appears to be worthless as well since I was looking straight ahead the entire time.

It’s all rather frustrating - the ‘safety features’ of autopilot are making it next to useless. I can understand why people try to defeat them.

All the systems nags can be nerfed to some point by people.

The problem is if they make it more frustrating for those that use it regularly, then they will turn to the devices that nerf the nag.

The few that use things now, although not safe, are responsible for anything that happens.

What could scare people is they may end up responsible for something that had nothing to do with the nag-defeat.

I simply keep pressure on the steering wheel all the time. Just a slight weight and I don’t get the nag. NBD
Same here. I hold the wheel on the lower half, one hand at six o'clock, resting lightly, and the other at 3 or 9, with the weight of my arm putting torque on the wheel. Still effective with the weighted arm resting on the console or arm rest, and allows alternating hands occasionally for comfort. Cheers.

Same here. I hold the wheel on the lower half, one hand at six o'clock, resting lightly, and the other at 3 or 9, with the weight of my arm putting torque on the wheel. Still effective with the weighted arm resting on the console or arm rest, and allows alternating hands occasionally for comfort. Cheers.
I've tried that and never gotten it to work reliably. I either get nagged or cancel autopilot unintentionally, and as I said above, one time I got put in autopilot jail despite having my hands on the wheel.