Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot just cutout without warning!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m driving down the mass pike, and the auto pilot system tells me that I need to pull the steering wheel and it cuts out immediately.

The odd thing is, there was no warranty whatsoever to tell me that I wasn’t holding the steering wheel, and I was literally looking at the screen at the time it happened.

The road is fairly straight and there’s no input to really give. Let alone I have been playing with the buttons on the steering wheel…

So this is rather disturbing…

So I’m driving down the mass pike, and the auto pilot system tells me that I need to pull the steering wheel and it cuts out immediately.

The odd thing is, there was no warranty whatsoever to tell me that I wasn’t holding the steering wheel, and I was literally looking at the screen at the time it happened.

The road is fairly straight and there’s no input to really give. Let alone I have been playing with the buttons on the steering wheel…

So this is rather disturbing…
Did road lines change at all? If mine sees an upcoming piece of road where the lines are gone, or have multiple lines due to construction, it will cut off immediately

Nope. Literally the same general stretch of road; it was really odd when it cut out, just gave an alert and cut out.

…then it told me that autopilot was not available for the rest of the trip.

Didn’t go over the speed limit (we were below 75MPH), hand lightly on the wheel, none of the standard apply pressure to the wheel stuff that happens now and then….

So, circling back to this. I saw a message on the screen and it went away pretty quickly.

Something about a device detected on the steering wheel... and by the time I looked at the screen and vanished.

I suspect that the car is trying to tell me that I've got something on the steering wheel to eliminate my hand?

I *think* that what's going on is that the car has a problem with me not manhandling the steering wheel when I've got autopilot engaged. I mean, I've got my hand on the steering wheel... but in the most minimalistic manner possible. (I've learned to slouch and rest my hand on the bottom of the wheel... which eliminates those annoying "put you hand on the wheel" type messages.)

Humph.