Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane centering on highway is dangerous and annoying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...If I was on a two lane road I would normally drive in the left lane all things considered and if faster cars came up I would drive the flow of traffic or switch back to the right lane to allow cars to pass...
wow, you are disliked here in the midwest...and i've seen CA plates doing this all the time out here.

i stay right the entire time except to pass, (it's the posted law), and will go left just before an on ramp.

<snip>
I normally never drive (unless required) in the right lane (US) for this and other reasons. If I was on a two lane road I would normally drive in the left lane all things considered and if faster cars came up I would drive the flow of traffic or switch back to the right lane to allow cars to pass.
That's illegal in most states. The left lane is generally only to be used if you are actually passing someone.

I'm curious how tightly you all hold onto the steering wheel. It seems to me that when it jerks, if you are holding onto the steering wheel as you are supposed to, it will be in the lane you want it to be in. No? My husband doesn't hold as firmly as I do, so it waggles more when he drives and the warnings flash for him to hold on to the wheel. It is extremely rare for the warning to flash when I drive. We have AP1. Maybe that's the difference? Again, curious, not accusatory in tone here...
I did try to apply more force but it would typically disengage the autopilot. It is also going against one of the main objective of the autopilot to remove stress and have safer drive. As for left side ramps, I feel the same way as when a line width double, the car should continue to track the line that is continuing. Whatever Tesla decide to do, it should always prevent a car to do any drastic and unexpected side movements.

I agree. The path of the pink line is annoying at best and can be dangerous as other cars don't know what you're doing or why you're weaving all over the road.

AP.png

We have experienced the same issues described by the OP both in our 1st Tesla with AP1 and now in our MX with AP2.5. As also noted above, the issue is worse or better depending to some extent which state you are in and road condition. Most exit ramps on Oregon freeways have change the fog or right lane line to a dotted line through the off ramp area. On ramps coming in from the right don't follow this convention and so the car hunts trying to center itself as described above.

Not all states follow the same striping and road layout rules. Autonomous driving would benefit from consistent national rules.

Perhaps the most confusing freeway is I-15 through Salt Lake City especially in rush hour. Some of the lane lines are double with the space in between the lines variable. Also there are left lane exit ramps from the inside fast lane. AP handles it pretty well but it does compound the difficulty.

Either way, consistent highway striping is needed across the country for safety. Perhaps autonomous vehicles will help drive this need.

Reactions: Peteybabes
I did try to apply more force but it would typically disengage the autopilot. It is also going against one of the main objective of the autopilot to remove stress and have safer drive. As for left side ramps, I feel the same way as when a line width double, the car should continue to track the line that is continuing. Whatever Tesla decide to do, it should always prevent a car to do any drastic and unexpected side movements.
What I'm thinking is that at this point in the game, autopilot is an assist, not autonomous, so really we shouldn't expect the car to actually drive itself, which is why we have to have our hands on the wheel with it. Even when the autopilot turns off at these points because I'm holding the steering wheel tightly, I still have a much more relaxed ride than without it. It takes a second to turn it back on, so it's no big deal when it turns off for me. I'm not a passenger, so I'm suppose to actually still be driving the car and paying attention.

• Love
Reactions: Peteybabes
What I'm thinking is that at this point in the game, autopilot is an assist, not autonomous, so really we shouldn't expect the car to actually drive itself, which is why we have to have our hands on the wheel with it. Even when the autopilot turns off at these points because I'm holding the steering wheel tightly, I still have a much more relaxed ride than without it. It takes a second to turn it back on, so it's no big deal when it turns off for me. I'm not a passenger, so I'm suppose to actually still be driving the car and paying attention.
this is really all it's ever been. :) just a fancy name.

besides that, pilots that use autopilot in the real world aren't totally hands free...input is required.

I fully agree with your statement that the autopilot is an assistant but you still do not want your assistant to cause more stress. Based on your reply, I do not believe you had to drive on those highways at 65 mph when you constantly have to fear the car behavior on every ramp (especially incoming ramps with traffic where the car will quickly drift sideways). Even with your hand on the well, the car will act faster than your muscle contraction (This is why I suggested having a delay before initiating the centering).

I normally never drive (unless required) in the right lane (US) for this and other reasons. If I was on a two lane road I would normally drive in the left lane all things considered and if faster cars came up I would drive the flow of traffic or switch back to the right lane to allow cars to pass.

This is generally illegal in Texas and would also get you shot at, even if you were not impeding traffic. :D

This is generally illegal in Texas and would also get you shot at, even if you were not impeding traffic. :D
Wow. Glad I live in California. You guys sound like the left lane is normally EMPTY and everyone is in the right lane.

Of course in my case if there were a bunch of cars in the right lane they would normally not be going as fast as me so i would be generally passing all of them anyway. But I never travel in the open road here in California and see everyone driving in the right lane with the left lane completely open except for the rare passing going on. Except for large trucks which are meant to stay in the right lane.

many highways do not have continuous lines on exit and entrance ramps

That's the problem.

It's optional under some rules and some stupid DOTs don't paint those lines. Tell them to fix their roads.

upload_2018-7-18_16-18-52.png

Meanwhile, since you are paying attention anyway, just steer during the exit ramps. Or keep pace to justify being the next lane over. That's what we all do.

Wow. Glad I live in California. You guys sound like the left lane is normally EMPTY and everyone is in the right lane.

That's exactly how it is, outside of metropolitan areas. It is not unheard of for law enforcement to issue citations for folks cruising in the left lane, even if the road is empty. In the cities, with traffic, the left lane will be full but it will be the fastest lane.

I'm pretty sure I've posted about this before and pointed out that it was normal in AP1 vehicles last year (based on a road trip in a 2016 MX P90D that I rented on Turo last year before buying) but only started happening in AP2 vehicles with the "silky smooth" update (based on my DD, a 2017 MX 100D), but this thread seems to have gotten a lot more attention, so I wanted to point this out again.
Interestingly, I'm in an AP1 loaner for my 12.5kMi service, and it hasn't exhibited this behavior in the 100 or so miles I have driven so far. Seems strange to me that it did when AP2 didn't and now the opposite appears true.