Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Lane Change question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does currently standard autopilot include lane changes with the turn signal? The language on the Tesla website about FSD including "automatic lane changes" to me isn't clear - is it the navigate by autopilot lane changes only, or does it include driver-directed lane changes as well? It's a somewhat marginal thing - I don't use many of the features currently on my EAP car, but I do use the driver directed lane changes.

I'll probably buy it anyway, as I know I'll eventually be jealous of something, and the price will only keep going up...

...Does currently standard autopilot include lane changes with the turn signal?...

No. You can turn on all your turn signals you want and they can blink all they want but current Autopilot does not deviate from centering the current lane.

...FSD including "automatic lane changes"...

Yes. For $7,000 more, your car would automatically change lane either by itself or when you manually turn on turn signal.

I have AP1 and given how simplistic it is compared to the newer 2.x system it's pretty incredible. When I first got it Nov 2018 it almost useless, software updates have made it really great. Turn signal lane changes work but it often times won't do it, it's nice but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker or must have.

I have AP1 and given how simplistic it is compared to the newer 2.x system it's pretty incredible. When I first got it Nov 2018 it almost useless, software updates have made it really great. Turn signal lane changes work but it often times won't do it, it's nice but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker or must have.
As a recent owner of an AP1 car, how safe is the lane change with signal? Does the car do a good job of sensing cars in the lane and stopping the lane change request?

As a recent owner of an AP1 car, how safe is the lane change with signal? Does the car do a good job of sensing cars in the lane and stopping the lane change request?

In my experience, AP2 and above has done a very good job on Auto Lane Change and Auto Exit for me. Its safety is the same whether the automation does all the signaling on its own and moves out of the current lane or when I manually signal for it to automatically complete the task.

I might have a concern with being ticketed as explained at:

Ticket for Lane change

Last edited:
I've had good experiences with manually initiated lane changes, a little less with NOA-initiated lane changes. The main weakness I've experienced is a willingness (on NOA) to change right into the path of a fast closing car. While maybe not precisely dangerous, it has to be annoying for the other driver. I assume a manual change would also be willing to do that, but hopefully I'm aware enough of the situation not to initiate it.

The most obvious problem with lane changes has been its tendency to abort the change, sometimes for no obvious reason. Sometimes it seems to be reacting to a car in the next lane over from the one you are changing to, as if it is not sure which lane that car is in. Recently it has been doing very well (at least with HW3 in our Model 3), so maybe most of that has been eliminated.

On the good side, when it first came out I was driving with NOA and unconfirmed lane changes near Arlington, VA in heavy traffic and depending on the navigation for directions. Turns out I had to enter a freeway from the left, cross about three lanes, and exit the freeway on the right, all in the space of about one city block. NOA was a champ and made all the lane changes and the exit without a fuss. I would have missed the exit as I was checking what the next turn should be on the nav.

That said, some of the poor lane change choices NOA makes led me to switch back to confirming them. I'm much better at confirming than canceling.

I think it's safe because I'm constantly paying attention to what it's doing.

I usually don't turn on the turn signal until it's safe to do the actual lane change.
Once I'm in the lane I have to turn the signal off. The car does not do it automatically.