Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane change success right vs left

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m wondering if everyone’s cars do this or if it’s just mine. When I lane change to the left, I have a 100% success rate. When I change to the right it’s maybe 60% on the first attempt. If it’s going to cancel the lane change it’s always to the right when it happpens.

I’m wondering if everyone’s cars do this or if it’s just mine. When I lane change to the left, I have a 100% success rate. When I change to the right it’s maybe 60% on the first attempt. If it’s going to cancel the lane change it’s always to the right when it happpens.
I find that lane change is less consistent on 50.6. Before I can't remember when I got a lane chance cancelled message. Now it happens almost on a daily basis. I'm hoping the new update fixes all the NoA issues I've been experiencing.

Both with 2018.28.1 and 2018.50.6, I've mainly used auto lane change going to the right; I tend to drive in the fast lane. Several times with 28.1 it would not execute the lane change even though the lane was clear and the markings were recognized. As far as I can remember, there were no error messages. The few times I've used it with 50.6 so far, no problems. This is both on highways and city streets (divided expressways). I've not yet tried activating NoA so no experience with that to report.

I have the opposite. Lane change to the right on autopilot usually successful. Lane change to the left usually fails. It may start to change and then swerves back. Tesla repair says it's a hard wire or hard ware issue and didn't repair it.

I have the opposite. Lane change to the right on autopilot usually successful. Lane change to the left usually fails. It may start to change and then swerves back. Tesla repair says it's a hard wire or hard ware issue and didn't repair it.

This has been my experience. The people in the left lanes are (normally) traveling faster than me, and when I go to pass slow traffic EAP has issues with this, IE it has no guts and will not complete the lane change into faster traffic unless there is a huge gap. I think it sees the up coming car as a hazard and won't continue.

My M3 used to fail often but only when moving to the lane on the right. But since recent updates it seem to work much better. On a recent trip of 5 hours on moderately busy freeways, it worked correctly every time. Except when it got really crowded near exits. The lane change is not aggressive enough to get to an exit in time. I have to take over about 1 mile before the exit.

The lane change is not aggressive enough to get to an exit in time.

This. Many times over this! I'm not asking for it to squeeze itself into a spot barely big enough for the car, but I can't take their FSD claims seriously when the car needs 10 car lengths in front and back before it'll change lanes and takes 5 seconds to decide it's clear (Yes, I understand it really doesn't need that much room, I'm exaggerating to make a point :p ).