TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

AUTOPILOT LANE DETECTION DISPLAY in MODEL 3 ?

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by lasdoug, Jun 29, 2017.

1. lasdoug

lasdoug New Member

Does anybody know, how in the Model 3 using Autopilot, how LANE DETECTION will be displayed to the driver with
    the deleted front dash display??

2. BrettS

BrettS Member

Certainly no one here knows... or anyone from Tesla who does know has signed an NDA and cannot say anyway. But given that the model 3 will only have one screen I think it’s a pretty safe bet that the info will be displayed on that screen.

3. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

Everyone who drives a Model 3 will have a chip implanted in their brain allowing them to see everything Autopilot sees as augmented reality.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. lasdoug

lasdoug New Member

Thanks- what a distraction having to look at the middle screen for important info!

5. lasdoug

lasdoug New Member

Thanks- I think the chip implant would be SAFER option than diverting your eyes to the middle screen!!

6. SlyWombat

SlyWombat Member

Why do you need to see that display? I dont make any decisions based on that information, sure it is a nice animation.

7. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

Need to see white lines to know Autosteer is available. Confirmation Autosteer has actually engaged (blue). Also, if it starts beeping like crazy, it might be nice to know why.

8. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I use it all the time. Does it see the car ahead of me, or should I start braking? If the side lines are strobing blue/white/black, then it's having trouble seeing them and I should probably take over. Is the car ahead of me blue? If so, do I trust the path that car is taking or do I disengage AP? If my sensor cones are getting yellow/red in an unfamiliar parking garage, am I getting close to something I didn't notice?

9. azred

azred Member

I'm going to rewatch the last Star Trek movie before answering the question. I assume the answer involves spaceship-like controls. Maybe the display will be a hologram projected on the hood.

10. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I find shifting eyes to the upper part of the middle screen on my S is sometimes easier than looking between the steering wheel spokes.

11. lasdoug

lasdoug New Member

Thanks- From what I gather from Autopilot Videos, the lane detection tells you if the autopilot can be used safely. Is this not correct??

12. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

There is a steering wheel on the display that gets colored/brighter when available.

You can also just try to enable it, it beeps one way if it enables, another if it can't be enabled.

There isn't really a level of safety. It either is available or not.

• Informative x 1
  13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

If by "lane detection" you mean showing an image of the car in its lane and other vehicles around it, the answer is that we don't know. The only photos I am aware of showing the Model 3 center display while the car is in Drive and in motion are from the 3/31/2016 test drives and they don't show the same graphic as the S/X currently do. Here is one such photo
    [​IMG]

14. Enginerd

Enginerd Member

This display is part of the critical step that we'll all need to undertake as we make incremental progress towards full self driving. The lane display allows us to slowly learn to trust autopilot, by understanding what it knows and what it's going to do. I'd have a really hard time just relinquishing control without knowing (seeing) what's in the autopilot's head.

• Like x 1
  15. ecarfan

I consider the current AP display in the S/X a distraction for the driver more than an aid. I'm concerned that some drivers will spend too much time watching the display and not enough time keeping their eyes on the road around them.

• Like x 1
  16. Alketi

Alketi Member

Considering there's only one display the autopilot information will be there. I would expect it on the left-hand side, probably below the speed.

17. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Besides the notification that you can enable autopilot. When FSD becomes better why would you need the lane detection info at all?

I understand in this transition phase to make people a little more comfortable, but regardless of where it is or if it's there at all, if you don't fully trust EAP/FSD then your eyes are better off focused on the road instead of lines on a screen.

It doesn't matter if that screen is directly in front of you or slightly to the side. If you are staring at that display instead of the road then you are "doing it wrong" as the saying goes.

18. ecarfan

Agreed, in the long term I don't think that kind of display will matter.
    Thank you for that very sensible observation.

We are at the beginning of a major transformation in the way that we interact with our cars. As autonomous driving becomes more capable, we should not be focusing on an in-car display of what the EAP/FSDC system "sees" we should be focused -- as always -- on the road around us and ready to take over if needed. We are years away from being able to ignore the road and trust the car to take us safely to where we want to go. But we will get to that point eventually..

• Like x 1
  19. rcarpen22

rcarpen22 Member

To each his own, but I find it very important to know what information the car has. I monitor the AP info constantly to determine when I might need to intervene. I would consider the lack of that information altogether as an unwelcome change from the S/X. But I'm one of those crazy people that thinks there was originally a HUD that got scrapped/delayed for production schedule:)

20. electracity

electracity Active Member

FSD will require lane marking to be just one reference point in a complex HD map.

Even doing level 3 will require the car to be creating a much more complex internal model to compare to a pre-made 3D map.

I don't see that the car has a way to let the driver supervise a complex internal map for level 3. Which is why some companies are skipping level 3. The next 3-5 years are going to be very interesting.